Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Dr. Says No Bow for awhile!  (Read 744 times)

Offline The Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Dr. Says No Bow for awhile!
« on: April 20, 2012, 04:15:00 PM »
I may need to change my form? I draw 30" and just went to  a 62" Pronghorn 3 weeks ago. I think I hurt myself shooting my 60" Widow? I cant the bow and when I reach full draw, my ring finger wants to pull out away from my face (causing me to torque the string) I have learned to push that ring finger in tight against my face (rotate my forearm clockwise) and my accuracy improved. The longbow seems to be much less susceptible to torque. At any rate I developed sharp pain in the inside of my elbow (bicep tendon). After a MRI and a few visits to several Docs they say PT and no weight lifting or bow for awhile or it could rupture (that would be bad). Has anyone else had this problem? Any form suggestions? I'm wondering if I need to cant less, shoot two finger, or just use less pressure on the 3rd finger? Thanks

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dr. Says No Bow for awhile!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 04:30:00 PM »
I would suggest that you are using all arm to draw your bow and that along with the twist you are doing to solve another problem is what "got" you.

When you are cleared to shoot again, I would recommend NOT drawing with your biceps AND using as relaxed a forearm as possible.  If you are able to start drawing with your back rather than your arm, there will be little to no tension in your elbow, it will just act as a hinge.

In the mean time, check out shooting videos both here on TradGang and commercial.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline The Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 04:38:00 PM »
Mo, Thanks for the reply. I think I'm really good at drawing and using back tension instead of my arm? It seems that when I bring my elbow around, my ring finger wants to come out away from my face and putting that twisting motion in to hold it close to my face, inline with the string seems to cause the pain? Does that make sense? If I don't tuck that ring finger in, I don't have any pain but, I torque the string.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 04:46:00 PM »
My first guess, without seeing you shoot, would be that you have way too much tension in your forearm and wrist.  It you are relaxed there, the weight of the bow (even a very light one) will line your fingers up correctly with NO input or effort on your part.

Where is the string on you fingers?  Is your string hand "cupped" with your knuckles sticking out? You might check out "Release tips" (do a search here) for ideas.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline The Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 05:00:00 PM »
Thanks, I put the string in my first joints (deep hook)(although the joints don't line up). In thinking about it, I think I must have alot of tension in the forearm. I'll read about "release tips". Thanks for your help.

Offline The Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 05:40:00 PM »
Moebow, I watched your video and it made me realize that I was tightening my forearm to "tuck" that ring finger in, when what I need to do is relax the forarm and let the back do the work. Thanks again.

Offline The Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 05:41:00 PM »
Maybe in a couple of weeks I can try it.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 07:50:00 PM »
Take it slow and listen to the Docs.!  Hope you recover with no ill effects.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline The Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 08:11:00 AM »
Thanks again.

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 07:57:00 PM »
You may want to get a form master and use that when you begin shooting again. It should tell you whether you are using back tension or not. In the meantime, I hope you have a quick recovery!
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Atennishu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 10:47:00 PM »
Elbow injuries suck, I know alot of tennis players that get this type of injury, and it takes time to heal,  one of the Dr.s here has developed a process where they take your own blood and spin it and inject platelet rich blood back into the affected area and it speeds healing, I know several that have had that done and its pretty amazing, I had it done on my hip with positive results, only drawback is insurance considers it experimental and wont pay for it,
Boomer Sooner

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 11:40:00 PM »
My tennis elbow was getting pretty bad, so I started shooting alternate days right and left-handed. Alternating pulling and pushing really helps, and I think will keep my body in better balance long-term.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©