Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Shooting form help needed  (Read 1724 times)

Offline bowhunterportugal

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting form help needed
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 11:31:00 AM »
Here is the BW video:

http://s1053.photobucket.com/albums/s462/bowhunterportugal/Trad%20From%20Training/?action=view¤t=BWFirstShots29-4-2012.mp4

Moebow, can you tell the difference? New bow, new training...
Don't hunt to kill, if I kill is because I've hunted.

BW PSA V 60" 53#@28
Samick Stingray 58" 55#@28
CE Heritage 250, 609 gr total
AD trad, 688 gr total
Simmons Landshark
VPA Terminator
GK Silverflame

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 11:34:00 AM »
These arrows are 32 inch long. The other where 29.Is it possible that I'm drawing more know because of the bow?! Must check.

BW PSA V 60" 53#@28
AD trad, 688 gr total
Simmons Landshark
VPA Terminator
GK Silverflame

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2012, 12:50:00 PM »
Looking good!  Your elbow is at what I would say is exactly the correct position now.  Yes, you are still lifting it but that is a good way to reach anchor and part of the draw sequence that I teach.

In the very last set of shots, watch your head in relation to the tree behind your head.  As you draw, also watch the line from your belt buckle to your chin.  You start out in good position but as you reach anchor, see how you lean back? Watch the belt buckle to chin line and watch your head position compared to the tree.  See how your head moves back away from the target?  I believe that you are feeling a different draw length because of the lean and head motion and not because you are drawing farther.  Try to hold that line and your head still.  Keep them where you start the draw and draw to your head  but don't let it move back.

How do you like the new bow.  It really looks nice and you are shooting it pretty well.  Keep at it and have fun!!!

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2012, 01:25:00 PM »
Thanks Moebow.

In truth,I think the bow is excellent, very easy to draw, very steady in the hand but it seems a little noisy! I'll have to find a way to quiet it.

I've notice when I was shooting that my head came back. When I draw, in order to aligne the shoulders, my string hand comes way back and I loose my anchor point. I must be doing something wrong.

BW PSA V 60" 53#@28
AD trad, 688 gr total
Simmons Landshark
VPA Terminator
GK Silverflame

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2012, 01:38:00 PM »
The shoulder part is hard to explain in words.  Your shoulders should be turning level around your spine.  Your spine should be vertical and stationary like a post.  Your hand reference (anchor) should not have to change (or your draw length) but it takes a little practice to get right.  This is one of the areas that I recommend that a very light weigh bow (20# or less) or  the rubber band I show in one of my videos is useful.  Work with it in front of a mirror so you can see your self.  Once you get the motion correct, then it will be easier with the bow.

Using a relatively heavy bow makes this development a little harder to learn.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2012, 01:42:00 PM »
Yes, I believe you. There is to much pressure to be able to isolate a specific muscle or feeling. I'll try to borough a light bow to do that.

Is my bow arm in a good angle/position? It feels good.

Love the bow.

BW PSA V 60" 53#@28
AD trad, 688 gr total
Simmons Landshark
VPA Terminator
GK Silverflame

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2012, 05:37:00 PM »
Hard to tell for sure, but it looks like you're shooting off of your fingertips. If so, try a deeper hook. It will make it easier to keep your draw arm and hand relaxed and completly engage your back muscles.
We are all here because we are not all there.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2012, 06:50:00 PM »
Can you explain what do you mean by shooting of my fingerstips?

BW PSA V 60" 53#@28
AD trad, 688 gr total
Simmons Landshark
VPA Terminator
GK Silverflame

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2012, 04:30:00 PM »

BW PSA V 60" 53#@28
AD trad, 688 gr total
Simmons Landshark
VPA Terminator
GK Silverflame

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2012, 08:32:00 PM »
Diogo,  You have made really good improvement already!  Over all you show that you know what to do and how to do it right.  There are a few things I will point out that need work but most of them are because of your speed in shooting arrow after arrow.  I know that when the camera is on we try to get as much in a possible and to keep the video short BUT...  Our muscles need a little recovery time between shots.  When you practice, try to keep about one minute between shots.  This gives your muscles a chance to recover a little.

Many of your shots are as good as it gets!  You sometimes seem to search for your anchor.  Watch how your string hand moves back and forth.  I suggest that if you reach full draw with good bone alignment and back tension, when you lift your hand to your face references (anchor) it will be there.  There  will be no need to move around and find it.

Your speed of shooting is tiring your muscles and you are starting to collapse.  A collapse is ANY forward movement after reaching full draw.  You can watch (very carefully) your arrow tip in the front shots.  See how it seems to move forward in comparison to the bow?  Also in the later series of shots, you can see your string hand moving forward  on your face.  This movement shows  that back tension is not increasing but being lost.  This is what makes your string hand fly out away from your face on some of the shots.

As I watch your video, you have some really good shots!! But again, when you start to get tired you start to collapse.  Your bow arm is about as good as it gets.  In the last few sets of shots, your string elbow is in excellent position.  Try to slow your release (some are really good and some are just too fast) and concentrate on NOT letting your string hand slide forward.

AS I say GREAT PROGRESS!

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »
Thanks Arne.

Yes, I felt tired sometimes. Yes, I was looking for my anchor. I have a 3 point anchor that naturally appeared - index finger on the corner of my mouth, feather on the nose tip and thumb knuckle on the ear lobe. Those shots that my hand is somewhat moving was that the feather point wasn't there.

I do have a question. When I was concentrating on back tension and on the elbow issue, my string arm shoulder turned and made a movement like if it has popped out. I'm having trouble in finding the words to describe it, but you can see it in some shots. It didn't hurt, it's not that. It sort like the upper muscle, the one that runs from the top of the shoulder to the neck, relaxed and made a click. The shoulder dropped, the back tension was there, it was quite comfortable and the shot came accurate. See minute 1:07 and 1:20 and watch my left shoulder. You will see it drop.
At first it looked like I was going to dislocate the shoulder. Then I tried to reproduce it, and I can, but only at full draw. While I'm drawing I haven't been able yet to find the rotation necessary to get the shoulder in that position.

Is that wrong?

BW PSA V 60" 53#@28
AD trad, 688 gr total
Simmons Landshark
VPA Terminator
GK Silverflame

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
Diogo,  I see what you are talking about and I cannot explain or really see what is happening.  I would say though that getting your shoulder into that lower position is not a bad thing.  Usually a high shoulder causes problems not a low shoulder.

Without being there and being able to put my hand on your shoulder area and seeing and feeling what is happening I cannot answer your question.  If it does not cause pain or undue stress and is comfortable to do then that may be one of those individual things that happens.  Be aware of the motion and if it DOES NOT hurt or cause pain AND if it seems to help your shooting then continue and do not worry about it.

IF at ANY time it becomes uncomfortable then be very careful and really try hard to find a local FITA coach to "check you out."
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2012, 09:23:00 PM »
About that, I'm going to meet the National Team coach this Saturday. Let see what he has to say about this. When that thing to the shoulder happens, the shoulders get leveled. Is that supposed? To have leveled shoulders, or shoulders at the same height?

Also, I can't understand if my shoulders are aligned when draw. Did that upper view showed you this? Can your keen eye see it?

BW PSA V 60" 53#@28
AD trad, 688 gr total
Simmons Landshark
VPA Terminator
GK Silverflame

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »
The overhead shows your shoulders in pretty good alignment.  You could pull the string side shoulder back a little more BUT it is not bad in what I see in this video.

Yes, your shoulders should be level at full draw.

As always person to person is the BEST way to learn and your National Team Coach will give you the best advice compared to video and internet.

Please let me know what you find out from the coach and how your session goes.
Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »
Will do.

Thanks Arne, you're a precious help.

Diogo

BW PSA V 60" 53#@28
AD trad, 688 gr total
Simmons Landshark
VPA Terminator
GK Silverflame

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2012, 12:58:00 PM »
Hi all,

Well, it seems I'm doing alright.Need practice but the fundamental is there.

I owe this to Moebow. Thanks Arne for all the help. I'll ask for you opinion once in a while.

Diogo

BW PSA V 60" 53#@28
AD trad, 688 gr total
Simmons Landshark
VPA Terminator
GK Silverflame

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »
That is great to hear Diogo.  Glad your session went well,  I always say that there is NO SUBSTITUTE for person to person coaching when it is available.

Feel free at anytime to contact me, either here, by PM or direct email -- I will be happy to help.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©