Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Paper tuning  (Read 472 times)

Offline Tancred

• Trad Bowhunter
Paper tuning
« on: May 22, 2012, 05:58:00 PM »
A basic question. No matter how much I move the nock point up or down, there is always a little rise at the arrow point. Is it unrealistic or unnecessary to try and remove that rise? The arrow seems to be hitting the target straight on, so the flight corrects itself quickly.

thanks,

Tancred

Offline longrifle346

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Paper tuning
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 06:12:00 PM »
At what distance? Could be the position of your elbow on your string hand. If you consistently hold it too much above or below the plane of the string it can affect arrow flight. Take and then review some video footage from your next practice session, that's helped me cure quite a few evils in my shot.....
If you find yourself in a fair fight? Your tactics suck!

Offline Tancred

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 09:06:00 PM »
My shooting distance is about 12-15 yards. I had a picture taken of myself and it does look like my elbow is too high. Perhaps that explains my arrow always being nose high. But isn't some point high attitude normal?

Offline Don H

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 07:07:00 PM »
A couple of years ago I switch to carbons, the store pros helped me. They helped me paper tuned the arrows, they were a little high and soft almost perfect. They said that was about as good as you can get with a recurve. So I took their word for it. In March,I was going to refletch the arrows and I decided on bare shaft tune them. They flew nock high and very week. Lowered the nock point and droped the tip weight down from 125 grains to 85 grains. Now they fly perfect. Can you paper tune a bare shaft?
Don

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 07:36:00 PM »
Bare shaft tuning to both 3 yards and 30 yards, in my experience, has consistantly yielded great BH flight ~5 yards beyond my effective hunting range and also shoots bullet holes thru paper. The paper tuning verification was merely performed due to curiousity.

Actually envision no personal need per my skill level to pursue any further at this time.
May up the ante provided my skill level advances.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Don H

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 11:06:00 PM »
I agree, bare shaft tunning is the best way I've found.
Thanks, for the info on paper tunning.

Don

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©