Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: The proper way to cant?  (Read 440 times)

Offline poekoelan

• Trad Bowhunter
The proper way to cant?
« on: May 23, 2012, 02:05:00 AM »
Did some searching on this forum tonight about holding vertical and canting, because I've done my last two shooting sessions with a vertical hold and saw much improvement in my left/right variance. I also noticed that my problem of dropping my bow arm occassionly has disappeared.

I'm very happy with the improvement and will stick with a vertical hold, at least for a few more sessions. But this got me to thinking about mistakes I may have been making while canting the bow. It raised some questions.

In searching the threads about it, I haven't seen an answer as to the "proper" way to cant a bow. Should the cant come from the waist or the bow arm? In other words, does anyone remain completely upright from the waist up while canting?

I would think that canting only the bow arm and not the entire body from the waist up would tend to put the pushing and pulling forces out of line somewhat

At least that's why I think my occasional problem of dropping my bow arm on the shot seemed to disappear when I started holding vertical. I'm thinking that by holding vertical, I brought the pushing and pulling forces more in line with the rest of my body, and I'm almost certain that when I was canting the bow, my upper body was completely vertical. I'm wondering if I should have been leaning more forward at the waist.

I'm going to stick with vertical for now but I'd love to hear some feedback and food for thought.

Thanks,
Austin

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The proper way to cant?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 03:55:00 PM »
I don't think much about it, just cant the bow a little. When I watch those who have a deep pronounced bend at the waist it looks uncomfortable to me and I wonder if they fatique quicker.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Spitfire Htr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 04:10:00 PM »
It makes sense to me that when you naturally point at something with your index finger, the  thumb is usually out to the side. Now just imagine a bow in your hand and that would be the amount of cant that "feels" right to me. I do believe that one should practice at holding the bow at different angles to best duplicate hunting conditions out of stands and blinds. Hope this helps a little.   -Steve
Groves Mag II 66# @ 28",          Groves Mag II 55# @ 28",           Groves Magnum 44# @ 28"

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 04:57:00 PM »
I cant my longbow only enough to clear my right eye. I shoot my recurve vertical. I discovered that when I first got my longbow my vision of the target was screwed up and I couldn't figure out why. Then I closed my left eye and noticed I was covering up the target from my dominant eye with my bow something wasn't letting me see that. Problem solved. I don't bend at the waist though.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 10:27:00 AM »
I bend at the waiste alot and my cant just is there. Its not uncomfortable for me. I'm not saying its good form, or it is proper technique, but for me it works.

"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 11:01:00 AM »
i cant enough to open up my view....in line with my head and torso...not a lot usually but depends on brush and such too.  I dont think about it just let it happen naturaly. If you are not in a target archer stance I think it will just come naturally...go with what your body and form tell you is working.  It is not a science in my opinion...
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©