Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: critique my form (pic heavy)  (Read 448 times)

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
critique my form (pic heavy)
« on: May 23, 2012, 03:01:00 AM »
Ok, so here's my deal.

I have always shot with my anchor point being the corner of my mouth.  like this..

However, in studying terry's clock, I'm thinking that this anchor point is not letting my back get engaged enough to form the proper line elbow to arrow, with the elbow pointing slightly away from my body and arrow...like this

You can see in the first photo above, my elbow isn't real high. its like my forearm and upper arm are in the same line.  

versus When I anchor further back, trying to use the back of my jaw near my ear as an anchor rather then the corner of my mouth, or a spot around there. I can feel the spot where my elbow swings and points straight backward, I believe lining the arrow and arm up.  But, that spot is a really nebulous place to find a consistent anchor.  However, when I do this, it looks like this...

from behind, this is the corner of my mouth.  notice my elbow in relation to the string and bow.  not at all in line

this is anchoring further back, until i "feel" my arm swing back.  Notice my elbow aligned, with the string in the center of the bow.  

and because I cant leave well enough alone,

a video of me shooting the way I grew up

sorry, no vid yet of the other anchor.

My question, am I thinking about this correctly?  If so, how does a guy find and anchor point back there which is consistent?  I like the idea of drawing further, but need consistency.  also, is my bow arm too bent?

:knothead:
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: critique my form (pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 03:02:00 AM »
another angle, this is the anchor back between ear and mouth.

Offline Keith Langford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 06:32:00 AM »
Try bending the thumb at the joint and placing that on the earlobe, this is where Rick Welch teaches his students to anchor, and it really gives you good alignment and back tension
John 3:16

Offline skilonbw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 06:29:00 PM »
The only real thing that jumps out at me is the way you seem to be laying your head down into the bow instead of keeping the head in a straight line with the shoulders, then drawing the bow and bringing the string to your anchor pint. I think if you look at Ranger B's or Moebows form videos they show this better than I can explain.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 11:08:00 AM »
JMHO. You have a good handle on the bow meaning you OWN that bow. No worries there. Gotta shoot the bow. Don't let it shoot you.

Your pix show various angles & poses to the target w/o fault in the draw. Whatever your anchor, as long as it's rock solid repeatable it's good to sear into memory & will build confidence. This is critical while hunting. If you;re consistently hitting target, what would you need help on?

Folks are different. No 2 golf swings are the same. Your elbow is no hindurance. Usually suggest envision crosshairs "+" on the spot. Just a mental trigger to narrow the perspective. You're good to go IMO.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 02:37:00 AM »
hey guys, i haven't checked in on this in awhile.  Thanks for the input.  For an update,  I've found a happy spot, where my mouth is pulled back a bit more and I can feel that engagement in the back,  Ive shot well over 100 arrows a night with that anchor for the past couple weeks, and all feels natural now.  I'm easily shooting the best groups of my life right now, no matter what arrow I shoot, spined right or not.  some May have bad arrow flight, but they are landing in the right spot.  And on the bows with proper spine to bow combo, I'm needing more nocks.  Its really down to the mental game right now.  If only I could shoot more then 24 yards...house limitations.  

Straitera, that longbow in most of the photos is only 57#, 63ish at my draw.  However, it is supper finicky for perfect form, release and follow through, so I shoot it a bunch as practice.

Enjoy and thanks again!

Dan

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 07:59:00 AM »
Looks pretty good to me hoss.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©