3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wool article in TBM.  (Read 2139 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wool article in TBM.
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2007, 10:21:00 AM »
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2007, 10:28:00 AM »
Ron, I have GOT to get me one of those shirts! Going to put a bug in any ear that will listen about what I want Santa to bring me. I'll direct them to your site so they can see that I KNOW Santa!!

Offline thp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2007, 12:27:00 PM »
I'd love to buy the high dollar wool stuff.  I've drooled over it in the stores.  Just not in my budget right now.  My go to wool pants are fancy thick wool dress slacks that I got off eeeebaaay for less than $ 10.00.  Super thick, super warm.  I've got Ron's Long Hunter shirt and it is allsome!  Just got the new sportsmans guide military surplus catalog and it is full of wool that can be had at a song.  

maybe some day I'll buy KOM, Swanndry or Sleeping Indian.  Until then, I'm going cheap!
Be kind and merciful. Let no one ever come to you without coming away better and happier. -Mother Teresa

Offline dudley152

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2007, 12:44:00 PM »
I second longbowben's statement about KOM wool. I have never been able to stay on stand the entire day until I switched to wool. I now wear KOM bibs and jacket. Under them, I wear wool long johns over a poly base layer and a wool shirt. On the way to my stand, I carry my jacket in my pack and wear a fleece vest. I usually dig the jacket out after 3 or 4 hours and then I'm set for the rest of the day. I could never do that with fleece.
Vietnam Veteran
"Remember Those Who Made the Ultimate Sacrifice"

Another Proud Member of the "Disabled but not dead" Brigade!

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2007, 01:18:00 PM »
I hate to be the odd man out, but I prefer modern materials to wool. I own one of those high-dollar wool jackets everyone raves about, and honestly, I freeze my butt off in it. It's supposed to have a wind blocking liner, but the wind still blows right though it.

When I got it, the first thing I noticed was how loud the liner was when I moved. So I contacted the company and asked if it was supposed to be that loud (my insulated Woolrich jacket is dead silent). They told me after the jacket was worn a few times the noise would go away. I froze my tail off in that thing for two seasons, and it's still as loud as the day I got it.

These days it hangs in the closet growing dust bunnies. I've since bought a TecH20 4-in-1 jacket from Gander Mounain for about $150 that keeps me warm and dry down to zero degrees, and it's extremely quiet too. I could but three of those for what one of my high-dollar wool jacket costs.

Offline Angus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2007, 02:28:00 PM »
Filson's great clothing.  I'm wearing one of their sweaters right now, and love the warmth and comfort of it!  Wool not only can keep you warm, it's not so bad keeping you cool!  In my salad days, I used to do a lot of bike racing (on sewups, for those who remember!).  our jerseys were wool, and even on a 105 degree day, while I was moving, I was cool.  Once I stopped, however, well.....
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2007, 02:58:00 PM »
Ron's shirts are great, own one medium weight and one heavy weight..... but I do use technical fibers as undergarmets to move moisture away from my body.

The grey shirt is magical in the skyline - don't need camo.

Like everything I do, its a combination of "old" and "new".

BobW
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline gordonf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2007, 03:50:00 PM »
I went deer hunting last weekend in a steady rain that lasted all day. My backpack and felt hat were completely soaked through but the wet never penetrated my outer wool garments. Save for the top of my head, I was comfortably warm and dry. When I hung up my coat it seemed a little heavier, but not by a lot - and it dried in less than a day. For day hunts, I won't even bother with noisy rain gear.

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2007, 04:17:00 PM »
I'm opposite of most here and wear silk and wool undergarments and technical outers. If it works for you go with it.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2007, 04:58:00 PM »
Too Short  or Too F. Short

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2007, 06:05:00 PM »
I wear nuthin but wool.  The best thing I've found to take burrs off with is....are you ready for this?????........One of those tight wire combs you use to brush a cat.  No kiddin.  It takes those little buggers right off.
Otto

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2007, 06:38:00 PM »
Thanks Paul.  

I have tried a lot of hand warmer kinda products but haven't found one that BOTH keeps my hands warm and allows me to remove my hand easily when it is Miller time.  My hands are not huge, but they are not small in size.

I will give them a try.  

I have been on line looking at the Swannie site and their stuff looks great, but they (apparently) do not offer the outer wear in camo any more.  Any info on that ?  Why not ?  I bet they could sell quite a few.

BTW.  I was wearing a camo Swannie jacket last saturday.  There was one for sale at ****, and I was interested.  Unfortunately, it was pretty worn, like, a bit moth eaten.  I think the pattern and everything looked good.  I really liked the fact that it was long on me (6'1") and came down nearly to mid thigh.

It was not a very heavy garment though.  Kinda seems pretty light to be very warm.  Maybe some day I will get to try one out.
ChuckC

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2007, 07:06:00 PM »
Paul,

Thanks for sharing your candid experience with KOM and Sleeping Indian woolens. YEARS ago, I purchased a complete KOM outfit and paid BIG money (at least to me) at the time thinking that I was making an "investment" in the prospect of staying warm and comfortable during Michigan's late bow season. To say I was disappointed with my purchase is an understatement. When there was no wind, my outfit worked o.k., but whenever there was a steady, predictable wind - you know, the kind we bowhunters hope for- I froze my arse off! And when it was windy and rainy, FORGET ABOUT IT. Ultimately, I arrived at the conclusion that my KOM woolens were best used as an insulating layer beneath a windproof/waterproof outer jacket. To this day the only occassions I wear my KOM is when I KNOW it is not going to rain or I'll occassionally wear it beneath my waterproof Browning waterfowl parka when harassing ducks and geese.

About ten years ago I took a gamble and purchased a few wool products made by Filson. What a difference in quality and performance. So I concur with your observation- all woolens are not created equal.
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline Arraflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2007, 07:16:00 PM »
It,s funny , new high tech,high dollar stuff comes and goes but wool has been, and will be around forever. Seems alot of people are on the Sitka gear kick . I think A few years down the road it will be just a faded memory and wool wiill still be here going strong
A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one,you won't be needing one again

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2007, 07:29:00 PM »
I JUST CANT BELIEVE THAT YOU WERE NOT SATISFIED,you must not have bought the wind lining,i have hunted in canada,north dakota i dont think thiers a colder or more windy place on earth KOM didnt let me down.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2007, 07:54:00 PM »
Longbowben,

Perhaps you own a newer, upgraded KOM outfit. I calls it like I sees it...
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2007, 10:05:00 PM »
I'm partial to the German military wool surplus pants and the wool/poly balaclavas. I snatched several pairs of the pants when they were readily available post Berlin Wall collapse-- I always try to buy several when I find something that works for me so I bought 4-5 of the balaclavas back when Cabelas sold them. The desert camo wool commando sweater is good except in thorns or briars. I use the matching German wool jacket if I anticipate hunting in the prickly stuff.

Online Stykbowslim

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2007, 10:26:00 PM »
Labs4me, you're correct in your observations.

I've been using KOM (and other wool products) since 1990... KOM is good, but it's not the best.

Filson wool is absolutely a tighter weave and a better product...
"Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

Offline WindWalker-AK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2007, 11:02:00 PM »
We have never had the wind blow through our Filson's Double Mackinaw coat and they can gust pretty strong here at the base of the Alaska Range.  Same with the bib pants.
If we expect a lot of rain, switch to the oiled finish Tin-cloth with wool under.  Little noisy so we move slower to compensate as best we can.
Best Wishes

Offline Arraflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2007, 11:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by rtherber:
I'm partial to the German military wool surplus pants and the wool/poly balaclavas. I snatched several pairs of the pants when they were readily available post Berlin Wall collapse-- I always try to buy several when I find something that works for me so I bought 4-5 of the balaclavas back when Cabelas sold them. The desert camo wool commando sweater is good except in thorns or briars. I use the matching German wool jacket if I anticipate hunting in the prickly stuff.

man, you have no idea how long I have been looking for a balaclava like the one pictured!!!!
    You can't find them anywhere!  I wish I had your foresight and bought 4 or 5 of them.  :bigsmyl:
A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one,you won't be needing one again

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©