3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wool article in TBM.  (Read 2137 times)

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wool article in TBM.
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2007, 07:07:00 AM »
Anyone PM me with a contact for Teresa Asbell about buying a wool garment from her. I saw her at a shoot selling a few years ago and need a contact. Also I agree I would love to have a wool balaclava, anyone know a source for them?

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2007, 07:20:00 AM »
Yesterday afternoon I hunted in a steady rain with temperatures hovering around 35 degrees and winds gusting to 20 mph. Under these conditions my hunting attire is always the same. Wool over wool and both worn under my Browning Cordura/Gortex outer layer (coat and bibs). In the wind and driving rain, you could tap dance on stand without making enough noise to alert deer so in this situation the Cordura fabric is a non issue. When being quiet is an issue, I wear a windproof/waterproof outer shell made by Cabelas.

Returned home, hung my cordura/gortex outerwear in our half-bath, turned the heat light on, shut the door and 1 hour later, my bibs and coat were bone dry ready for my next hunt (today). As my wool undergarments were never subjected to the rain, I stored them away BONE DRY in a large tupperware-like container that remains outside during the entire hunting season.

This morning the weather is even uglier than yesterday- driving, freezing rain predicted to turn to snow with winds gusting above 20 mph. The point I'm trying to make to those still contemplating spending $800 on wool to keep you "warm and dry" is, had I not worn my Browning Cordura/Gortex outer shell; had I worn wool exclusively, ALL of my woolens would still be soaking wet from yesterday's hunt. As a PRACTICAL matter, unless you don't mind putting on sopping wet wool from a previous hunt to go out and hunt in a freezing, driving rain on your next hunt, you may want to consider investing in a more practical outer shell.

As a next to your body insulating material, in my view there is nothing better than wool. But IMHO, wool is most useful and effective when kept dry. My intent here is not to down play the value of wool. I love my wool clothes in the same way that I love my favorite bow, quiver, etc. I just don't want to see some kid go out and purchase a high end wool hunting outfit (like I did 17 years ago) thinking that it is the most practical choice. Although it makes for a great romantic read in the likes of TBM, wool has it's limitations.

Wet wool may keep you drier than any other material. But DRY wool will keep you warmer than wet wool. Stongly consider a modern waterproof/windproof outer shell before spending $400-$500 on a wool hunting coat.
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2007, 08:50:00 PM »
Jason,

I'm not sure what brand you bought....but I wear my wool when it gets cold down here, and have nothing but praises for it.  I also take it to TX in Dec and Jan for those cold mornings, as it hacks the wind pretty good. I usually wear merino thermals and a wool vest also.

A light water proof outer shell keeps it dry, and don't take up much room and it light weight.

Goose down is very warm also, but too bulky for the hunter....lest you wear it as a vest.

Hope to try some Sitka gear sometime.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2007, 11:05:00 PM »
Terry,

Some wool is outstanding. Some isn't. Unfortunately, mine fell into the latter instead of the former. I'd just hate to see someone dump a bunch of cash sight unseen and think that just because they bought "wool", they automatically got something great.

I suppose it'd be like wool carpet in that regard. Yours are very good, but I'm sure you've seen others that don't even come close.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2007, 04:02:00 AM »
Yeah Jason...you are correct....there are some cheap wool carpets out there, and we despise them cause they give wool carpet a bad name.  Same regards to clothing I would surely guess.  Quality of the wool and the design will determine the performance of either.

My Gray Wolf, at the time Hidden Wolf, has served me well, and came with a silent liner.  I'll be wearing it this morning, as its cold, windy and damp.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2007, 04:57:00 AM »
I have purchased two used articles of gray wolf right off the classifies on Trad Gang. I didn't have to spend a lot and have had good luck with them in cold wet weather. You never know what to expect while your out hunting in western NY state, so with my wool I'm always prepared.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Grizzly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2007, 09:04:00 PM »
Good discussion on wool.  I still have my Woolrich outfit Dad bought me around 1960.  Still fits but don't think I can shoot the bow in it!!

Just bought some woolite and baking soda.  Am going to make my first attempt at cleaning some odds and ends wool I have.  Any suggestions?  I think some of them have picked up some undesireable scents that need removing before I seriously use it now that the weather has gotten a bit colder.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2007, 09:17:00 PM »
LABS 4ME,

WHAT COUNTRY DO YOU LIVE IN? I'LL TAKE ALL THE WOOL YOU HAVE IF YOU WANT TO SELL IT. THE WARMEST ARTICLES OF CLOTHING I'VE EVER WORN. SLEEPING INDIAN HAS NEVER LET ME DOWN IN THE HARSHEST WIND. YOU MUST LIVE IN THE ARCTIC CIRCLE OR SOMETHING.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline carbonarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2007, 07:34:00 AM »
I read that too. Next year, I will be hunting in wool.
MT 11:28
Come to me all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2007, 09:31:00 AM »
How tightly woven is the Grey Wolf stuff, any thing like Filson?

Eric

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2007, 10:37:00 AM »
Westbrook,

Off topic:
How is the deer hunting in Manton? I hunt a large piece of private property in Kingsley and I am lucky to see a deer.

Back to the wool:

Just bought some used Guide Gear bis and jacket. I think it is the same as the Columbia but branded as Guide Gear for the Sportman's Warehouse. Anyway, it was 22* here in Michigan yesterday and I was able to sit in my stand for 3 hours comfortably. I am very pleased with wool and I can only imagine how nice KOM or AutmnWoods and the rest of the high end companies are.
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline Rick Perry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2007, 12:20:00 PM »
it has a very tight weave  ....... it stops a lot of wind without the windproof lining !!!!  ............ I love mine !!!!!!
"Pick a spot"

RLP

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2007, 02:09:00 PM »
Anybody know anything about Weatherby wool?  Quality? Cost new?  I am thinking about buying some used stuff but can't find any info on it.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2007, 04:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by huntnut:
 I like the part where it said that wool will produce heat when it gets wet, I never knew that.
Guy, NO garment will produce heat unless it's on fire. Good wool, like 100% Virgin, will retain it's insulating properties when wet. Something few man made fibers can do.
That said, I'll take my insulated Mad Dog fleece jacket from Basspro. Best $80 I ever spent.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline huntnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2007, 05:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by John Nail:

Originally posted by huntnut:
 I like the part where it said that wool will produce heat when it gets wet, I never knew that.
Guy, NO garment will produce heat unless it's on fire. Good wool, like 100% Virgin, will retain it's insulating properties when wet. Something few man made fibers can do.
That said, I'll take my insulated Mad Dog fleece jacket from Basspro. Best $80 I ever spent. [/b]
I was just going off what the artical said. Wet wool will produce heat at 27calories.
Bear Grizzly 50#@28

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2007, 05:52:00 PM »
I just came in from an evening hunt/look around and it is raining here in IN. Wore my Gray Wolf wool and stayed nice and dry.....and a bit too warm. To be honest, if I was to pass judgement on wool clothes based only on my previous experience with my previous set, I'd say it is not worth the money. A friend had a set of the Swannie wool and I compared it to the first stuff I had and it was night and day. At the Kalamazoo Expo a few years back, Gray Wolf was set up and their wool was the first I had seen that was comparable to the Swannie as far as weight and tightness of the weave. Bought the pants off of the classifieds here and have since bought the lined vest and pullover shirt and I am nothing but pleased! If you are not in too cold a climate, Gray Wolf's wolfskin is pretty good stuff as well! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2007, 06:15:00 PM »
James, I didn't mean to sound cranky. It's just that magazine editors should proof read their stuff a little better.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline huntnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2007, 06:28:00 PM »
John, I did a search on the web and there are sevral places that say that 1 gram of wool will produce 27 calories of heat when going from wet to dry. So not to be a jerk but maybe you should do a search before you post up.

http://www.tapetesdelana.com/tabid/210/Default.aspx
Bear Grizzly 50#@28

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2007, 07:04:00 PM »
My wool observations based on what I have owned.

Paul's Swannie stuff and Filson are neck-in-neck along with the Gray Wolf/Hidden Wolf.

Jason's brand...the "King's" brand is good for climbing mountains...the wind blows thru it.  Great stuff for active hunters, not so good for a guy trying to sit all day in the cold.  He can keep it.

I spent the last week of November in the Alberta Bow Zone a few years ago.  2 of us had Hidden/Gray Wolf.  Two others had a full set from his highness...they were cold.

I have no experience with Sleeping Indian.

I have tried various different types of surplus pants and like them well enough for active hunting.

Sir Pendleton Dress Shirts are worth their weight in gold to me.  I spent a very cold, rainy, snowy, windy night in the Yukon with one as my only insulation under my raincoat.  But then again, I may have still been on fire from taking my ram...

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2007, 07:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by Steve O:
My wool observations based on what I have owned.

Paul's Swannie stuff and Filson are neck-in-neck along with the Gray Wolf/Hidden Wolf.

I know a few people who've bought a bunch of the Gray Wolf/Hidden Wolf over the years. They all swear by it. Maybe at some point I'll invest in one of their jackets and see how I like it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©