Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Shoot without thinking?  (Read 1310 times)

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
Shoot without thinking?
« on: May 25, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
I recently changed a near 35 year method of shooting, actually changed this time last year. I had to put a whole lot of thought into what I was doing because it was different and I wanted to relearn "right".
 My change was I switched from shooting split and holding about a gnats butt of a second at full draw to shooting 3 under and holding maybe 1-2 seconds after hitting full draw and really bearing down on my spot.
  When I am practicing I shoot through steps. Kinda like Rick Welch teachs in his Instructional II dvd.I grip the bow hit anchor and hold till the shot goes off. I do pull through the release and don`t shoot a "dead" release.
  Here is the question....I am thinking about what I do through the entire shot while practicing now 4 turkeys,4 pigs and 11 deer since changing shooting styles I yet remember anything about the shot other than drawing the bow and knowing the animal was "right" for the shot. Crazy ain`t it. I honestly don`t know if I do everything right in a hunting shot because I can`t remember.I have only missed a time or two since switching so I must be doing something right but wish I could be "awake" through the shot.
  Anybody else do this or is it just me and something to try to work on? How would you try to "fix" it or would you?Thanks,RC

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shoot without thinking?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 09:58:00 PM »
Auto pilot! Sounds like you have found what many strive for. I too think thruout my shot here in the yard. But don't remember the shot sequence in a hunting situation. I like it.

Offline chuckbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 10:13:00 PM »
exactly what its supposed to ! perfect , thats what we are striving for !
2010 ASA  
TRADITIONAL
WORLD CHAMP

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 01:03:00 AM »
I shoot so much better when i can do it with out thinking. I can shoot lights out at my course at home, but when i get to the 3D shoot every month I overthink about half my shots.. Hunting is a different story. All i ever remember is putting tension on the string and seeing the arrow spin toward the target.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 02:14:00 AM »
I think thru my shot in the yard too but I strive to "not think". Not much thinking on hunting shots. It just happens.I have not killed a deer yet only squirrels and rabbits but this coming season I am going to be dedicated to bow only.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »
Yay for muscle memory!

Conversely... can/do you recall what you did differently on your misses (if it was you and not the game jumpin the string)?
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 11:34:00 AM »
From what I've seen, you could shoot with a blindfold!

Just a preference of technique. IMO, 3-under allows more aiming down the shaft. Personally never favored "sighting" in any way. MOF, I never see my arrow when drawing. Shoot split all my life.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 08:20:00 PM »
Robert....many of the best shots I ever made on game I don't even remember drawing the bow.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 08:38:00 PM »
I'm going to agree with Terry. I have only killed a handful of critters with a bow but I don't remember anything except seeing my arrow on it's way in what seemed like slow-motion..... If you remember drawing then you a step ahead of me    :thumbsup:
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline rlc1959

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 03:28:00 PM »
I am practicing for a NM Elk Hunt this Fall. All of my Archery kills have been with the other style bow. I am committed to doing this with my ACS Long Bow. My question is my first shot of the session is usually my best and the longer I shoot the worse I get . I guess the longer I shoot the more I think about it. Like you say shoot WITHOUT THINKING works best for me.

Take care , Randy
Randy Chamberlin

NRA Life Member
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member
United Bowhunters of PA Life Member
PBS Member

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 07:47:00 PM »
You're not alone Robert....I've thought about it for many years....I have no idea what happens when the "green light" goes off.  I often wonder if I get to full draw.....I really don't have any recollection after shooting a critter....

I must though, lots of dead critters     ;)
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 10:08:00 AM »
Yep me too!  I always go thru a routine when practicing and even shooting 3-D but on animals the arrow is just gone and I don't remember much about anything with the shot other then concentrating on where I want to hit the animal.
As others have said some of my best shots on game have been just watching the arrow spiral into the kill zone and not even remembering drawing or even hitting anchor or what, it just happened?  Sweet isn't it?
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »
If there is time where an animal permits me to think, then I rely heavily on focusing on my shot sequence to attempt to keep my nerves at bay.

Has personally proven quite effective.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 01:09:00 PM »
RC,

I could probably copy and paste Curt's response under my name and not have to change a thing. For me, those "auto pilot" shots are the reward of thousands of very deliberate, methodical shots throughout the year.

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 08:04:00 PM »
Had my first auto pilot shot this summer a few weeks ago killing my first hog.  Four years of practicing almost every day, thinking and rethinking my shot. I only had an instant to shoot and dont even remember my shot sequence only that there was now an arrow in the exact spot my eyes had been burning a hole in just seconds before.  Love it when a plan comes together.

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 08:09:00 PM »
Agreed, I shoot best when I concentrate on the spot I want to hit and nothing else.

Drawing the bow and coming to anchor should be natural and not realized.
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 08:52:00 PM »
I know exactly what you mean RC! I can pick apart my shots (esp the bad ones) when I am practicing but don't have a clue when hunting. I think it is because of the live, moving animal in front of me. I am so focused on the spot and when the time is right I just shoot. When I do make a bad shot while hunting, I can't tell you what I did wrong (and that bugs me a bit because I do not want to repeat mistakes).

Bisch

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 05:12:00 PM »
Sounds like what happens when someone does any learned repeated sequence (walking, breathing, eating, throwing, etc.)...which is why it's a good idea not to get too complicated in building form for 'normal' shooting (like hunting).  It's not necessary to have 14 steps or gadget trickery just to shoot an arrow.  Keeping it simple has it's advantages.  It's almost like, well, instinctive or something...       :saywhat:      :cool:

Offline windrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2012, 10:20:00 PM »
the plan is what we want to stick with! and after all the practice we go through it is a sweet moment when the shot is for real.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2012, 11:46:00 AM »
It doesn't have to take any steps to learn good form or proper alignment, which I think is THE most important foundation in running a shot WHILE in the field where you don't always get the luxury of the back yard shot.  All it takes is learning to draw correctly....and that will make you more accurate in the field with the not so perfect shooting positions.  

A 14 step 'check list' to run through to get a shot off is not form.  That is just a mental confirmations that some folks use....and would be the opposite topic of this thread...

:campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©