Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Shoot without thinking?  (Read 1311 times)

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shoot without thinking?
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2013, 02:31:00 PM »
I agree, a checklist is not form, form being the physical result of what a checklist leads you to do.  But shooting tutorials often use some kind of relatively complicated checklist or sequential step method for coaching form...do this, definately don't do that, then do this, then make sure that...etc. etc.  Not that there's anything wrong with having sequential steps for explaining a means to the end, but too much slicing up of the shot into tiny training pieces can make one reliant on a concious 'checklist' approach to shooting. IMO that overfussification can be a bad thing, or at least an unnecessary thing for freewheeling situations like those found in hunting. RC suggests that his practice steps (for hunting) don't carry over into a concious awareness of how he executes his draw and shot, and he does quite well with it.  I think that's a good testimonial to the advantages of keeping one's basic shooting approach (and practice) as simple as possible.         :archer2:

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2013, 09:19:00 PM »
Whether we remember anything about the shot depends on how you define memory, I guess. They say our strongest memory, believe it or not, is smell.  If we smell something that reminds us of childhood, it will put us right back in that spot, with a lot of other memories flooding back that we didn't even know we remembered anymore.

The strongest memory of a shot is the physical sensation of making the shot, which can't be expressed in words, so is not a memory you could explain to anyone else.  But hopefully, the next time you shoot the bow, you will be aware of how it feels to shoot a perfect shot, and this awareness will guide your body.  You can't be aware of how it feels to shoot the bow if you are thinking about the shot process, or anything else, for that matter. You have to totally open up your mind to how it feels to shoot the bow.  You can't think about shooting the bow and be aware of shooting the bow at the same time.

The seeming contradiction is that you have to think about the shot process to learn to shoot the bow.   But then you have to let go of that, and become aware of what's going on in your body as the next step in the learning process.  Once you're aware of what's happening, you don't have to give conscious instructions to your body anymore, nor should you, because thinking cannot exist simultaneously with awareness.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline gonefishing600

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2013, 09:47:00 PM »
McDave, your a poet, and a master, and I would love to shoot with you some day!
JD Berry Argos 64" 48#&28"
Toelke Classic Whip 64" 46#@28"
Acs one piece 64" 46#@28"
BlackWidow PLX 66" 46#@28"

Offline solobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2013, 01:36:00 PM »
Wow.  McDave certainly has a way with words. A talent I truly admire. Thank you sir!
USMC 1986-1990

Offline JMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2013, 01:55:00 PM »
Well said McDave!! Well said indeed. For me, I shoot 3-under. I practice to the point to where it becomes 2nd-nature to me.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2013, 02:22:00 PM »
I guess I could elaborate on my 1st post a bit...

The reason I don't remember drawing the bow is because I'm  so immersed in aiming.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2013, 01:41:00 PM »
I guess it's kind of like being "in the zone" in basketball.  I don't remember anything about the shot on game normally.  As far as I know I don't pick a spot or anything but it seems to work.

Offline DaddyPaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2013, 08:25:00 AM »
RC,
100+ kills with wheelies, only shot 2 thus far with traditional equipment.  I don't remember a thing about either one except those chartreuse feathers zipping into their armpit.  I actually welcome that feeling.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2013, 09:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by Gordon Jabben:
I guess it's kind of like being "in the zone" in basketball.  I don't remember anything about the shot on game normally.  As far as I know I don't pick a spot or anything but it seems to work.
Exactly!!!!...I played a lot of Bball too.  But I do immerse myself on the spot just like I do the goal.  When the shot window opens on game or bball...all the focus in on the target.....period....for me.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©