Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Left handed shooter Hitting to the right.  (Read 600 times)

Offline rluttrell

• Trad Bowhunter
Left handed shooter Hitting to the right.
« on: May 29, 2012, 06:43:00 PM »
I have a left handed bow that is 45 @28. My draw is 30 inches and I am shooting Bemans 400’s with a 100 gran tip. If I am 10 yards away I can be off by 4 inches to the right. If I am 80 yards I am 2 feet to the right. Very rarely am I hitting to the left….  Please share your thoughts
Thanks
Hopefully you will see me as a better person today than I was yesterday..

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Left handed shooter Hitting to the right.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »
Put some more weight up front, it sounds like your arrow is a little stiff.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 07:22:00 PM »
Ya, spine MIGHT be the problem, but I don't think so. I think you are not getting your nock under your eye.  Somehow or other you are letting your string hand float out from your face a little.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Ray_G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 07:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by moebow:
Ya, spine MIGHT be the problem, but I don't think so. I think you are not getting your nock under your eye.  Somehow or other you are letting your string hand float out from your face a little.
I have to agree, if your arrows are spined correctly.  Have you tried some 500s with that point weight?

I had inconsistencies in some of my shots.  My stance was too open and my bow arm was not staying on target when I released.  I now make sure that my bow arm is not moving and changed my anchor to move the string / arrow in line with my eye.  Still working on not flying away with the string hand - some days I'm OK and other days, I have a loss of memory     :knothead:  
I am a left handed shooter, too.
Sunset Hill 64" 54# @ 26"  "Destiny"

B.H.A.

Offline rluttrell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 11:21:00 PM »
I think you are not getting your nock under your eye.  
The nock should be under my eye?  I will ask someone to check for me. I really don't know to be honest.....

Have you tried some 500s with that point weight
I did try 500's 1st and 340's
I couldn't get the 500's to fly well at all
Thanks guys

Offline Ray_G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 02:42:00 AM »
Inline with the eye, over the nock and arrow no matter where you anchor.
Sunset Hill 64" 54# @ 26"  "Destiny"

B.H.A.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 07:45:00 AM »
Yes, under your eye!!!!  You might try this:  put a vertical strip of blue masking tape on your target all the way top to bottom.  Now, when you reach full draw, if your arrow nock is under your eye, it will look as though the arrow and tape form one line.  If you are anchoring off to the side of your face, you will see the arrow point on the tape but will be able to see the shaft coming in to the tape from your left.  I believe that this is the biggest cause of you shooting to the right.

Your arrows are probably too stiff and especially with only 100 grain points, which may add to the offset.  If you have any, try 145 or 160 grain points BUT do not obsess on this yet.  First step is to be sure your string hand is in tight on your face and the arrow nock is under your eye.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 08:59:00 AM »
I agree with 'under the eye' fix but have one more suggestion.  I have suffered from the same malady.  No matter what spine arrows I use I am always to the left (right handed) EXCEPT on the rare occasions when my release felt perfect, my hand came straight back and there wasn't even a hint of wiggle in my arrow.  

So I started working on nestling my anchor better and keying on my jaw line and pulling through the shot.  Voila, it's working.  Not only are my arrows going where they are supposed to but the flight is like a laser.  The best arrows also penetrate better which tells me I am doing it right.  

No matter how slight, any pulling away from your face at release will cause your arrow to go left for a righty and right for a lefty.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline rluttrell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 11:37:00 AM »
Yes, under your eye!!!! You might try this: put a vertical strip of blue masking tape on your target all the way top to bottom. Now, when you reach full draw, if your arrow nock is under your eye, it will look as though the arrow and tape form one line. If you are anchoring off to the side of your face, you will see the arrow point on the tape but will be able to see the shaft coming in to the tape from your left. I believe that this is the biggest cause of you shooting to the right
I was not trying to challange you, I really am still learning and just didnt know. Thank you for your help, I am going to try the tape.
is 20 yards a good distance or should it be closer?

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 01:56:00 PM »
No challenge perceived, just trying to help.  You might start at 10 yards then back up to twenty.  It is just an exercise to help with alignment.  But see if this helps.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline rluttrell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 10:10:00 PM »
I had someone watch me shoot today and he said everything looked good until after I come to full draw and tilt my head then i would collapse a little.
Mr mo do you think this would cause my problem?
Is so Do you guys have any drills to stop me from collapsing?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©