Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: How important is form really?  (Read 1238 times)

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How important is form really?
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2012, 12:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by MicW:

Originally posted by moebow:
As Terry adroitly puts it, "Form is from the waist up."  The EASIEST way (but not the only way -- just the EASIEST)to LEARN form is the flat surface stance and upright posture but that is NOT form, just eliminates the weird positions until you learn the alignments necessary.  Once you have that feel and knowledge, then it will not matter how you are standing/sitting/bending/ crouching you can still achieve your alignments!

IF you get into a position where you cannot achieve your alignment it would be best to NOT take the shot.  No different than the target too far out of range.  To be accurate and efficient you need to be able to get that alignment (form) in any position or else -- DON"T SHOOT!
And there it is!!

Thank you Moebow.

Alignment is the key. I would love to learn what it takes to achieve perfect alignment in any shooting condition. [/b]
And there what is? Alignment is a byproduct of good form... something that you stated "is secondary to the fundamentals and comfort of the shot". I don't know what that refers to. If you're looking for shortcuts there is none... Moebow is pretty much saying to go and practice your form. Knowing when and how to achieve that form in a hunting situation is gained through hunting experiences... you should still strive to get that elbow back and hit that "T" as proper form will serve you well.

Good luck on your endeavors to becoming an Alpha hunter.    :wavey:
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2012, 07:59:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kevin Dill:
I'm one of those who don't believe a poor archer can be a good bowhunter. Good, consistent, accurate shooting in ALL situations is one of the trademarks of a really good bowhunter.
That pretty much sums it up for me....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2012, 01:50:00 PM »
I can`t hit anything if I`m not able to square my shoulders to it = alignment. I killed a Turkey once with my bow horizontal and leaned from my knees so much my bow was maybe 12" off the ground at my bowhand. Drilled him.I practice that shot a lot. You`ll get in a lot of shot positions in the woods and most all are to be made if you have shot them before. You gotta practice like you hunt.
  If a fella shoots all upright shots in his yard and then gets on a group of pigs in the swamp and has to shoot one from his knees at the outer edge of his range he will probably miss. If he has shot this shot in his yard probably not gonna miss. Get my point?RC

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
When you hit the kind of second nature level of shooting like RC has you end up starting threads about not knowing if you know what's going on during the shot sequence... that is a great example of form being ingrained.
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2012, 07:11:00 PM »
Never thought of it like that. I was leaning towards me being a bit slowwwww but heck it works.RC

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2012, 12:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by MicW:
I can see how getting proper form down is important for shooting competitions and backyard shooting. But in a hunting situation you might as well throw proper form out the window.It is extremely difficult to achieve proper form while shooting around brush or trying to remain concealed.     :campfire:  
Form is the only part of shooting a bow and arrow that the archer has any control over.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2012, 10:29:00 AM »
Lets think about it like this. Every shot you make should be the same shot. Let that spin for a little while.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©