3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: nock point question  (Read 891 times)

Offline tomh

• Trad Bowhunter
nock point question
« on: November 20, 2007, 11:51:00 PM »
Hi All.
Is the nock point arrow or archer dependent, or is is there one sweet spot, regardless of who is shooting the bow, and assuming properly tuned arrows.
The reason I am asking is I have 2 used bows. So assuming the previous owner set it up correctly would the nock point be ok as a starting place?

Would I have to use the same arrow set up for that nock point?

Thanks.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: nock point question
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 09:27:00 AM »
Tom... good question! Here's what I've noticed and should only be considered an opinion.

I don't own a bow that the same nocking point height doesn't work on. I've even marked my bow square for easy reference and put the nocking point on any new bow in the same location.

I've also noticed that most guys that shoot my bows get good arrow flight with my set up.

For what it's worth, none of the bows I chose are radically different in either design or length.
My longbows use a slightly lower nocking point height than my recurves.

Hopefully there'll be more response to your question. A good cross section of opinions would help.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 09:47:00 AM »
Adding to Charlies response.  

I am guessing that it is archer dependant.... how you hold with your arrow hand (ie.  three under, split, string walking etc) and your draw style (how high up you have your elbow MIGHT put some english on your release).  

Also, a very long draw might require a higher nocking point than a "normal" draw.   Arrow spine MIGHT accentuate this need for difference...don't know.

Although it is somewhat standard that the arrow rest is cut in a certain distance above the center point of the bow, changes here might ellicit some change in needed nocking hight as well.  If you cut the shelf "AT" center vs 2.5 inches "above" center.

The above is just my "best guess"

ChuckC

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 10:03:00 AM »
Like Charlie I too have found that all the longbows I have set up for me have the same nock point. My recurves are also a little different but among the recurves they all have the same nock point as well. So my bow square is marked accordingly. In my opinion assuming the previous owner had set up the bow correctly, yes I would think that the existing nock would be a good starting point. Same arrow set up? I would say atleast similar.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 11:01:00 AM »
tomh:
Nock point placement is dependent on several factors, 1.tiller 2. how the bow is held 3. wether you shoot split finger or 3-under. 4. Drawing hand elbow height and which finger has the most pressure on the string.  

I can understand Charlies statement as most bowyers tiller a bow +1/8", so if you hold and shoot each bow the same the nock point should be constant. Where you run into a snag is if the bow is not +1/8", if its zero or +3/16" nock placement will usually be different. Or if you shoot a recurve with a high wrist and a longbow with a lower wrist.

What you are trying to achieve with your nock position, is for the limbs of the bow to be bent uniformly at FULL draw. How you grip the bow or the string will alter how the limbs bend. If you use a lot of heal pressure on the grip the lower limb will bend more than if you use the straight wrist (Asbel grip). The same is true with 3-under as you hand moves down the string you bend the lower limb more. Too correct that you move the nock point up, which in turn moves your hand up and increases pressure on the upper limb. Another factor to consider if you nock under the nock point is the diameter of the shaft, a larger shaft will have a higher nock point than a small dia. shaft on the same bow.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 07:26:00 PM »
Bob, You have explained precisely all the different things to factor into nock placement. Best explanation I have ever read! Most of us simply start about a half inch high and go up from there without really understanding what we're accomplishing.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 09:25:00 PM »
Understand also....to make the arrow sit perfectly level on the rest, the nock point, if placed above the arrow, has to be the diameter of the arrow shaft/nock set up ABOVE a straight line from rest to string.  Bob's last statement describes this.  That means you typically need to have the nock point at least 5/16" to 3/8" above horizontal just to get the arrow to sit on the horizontal, then move up from there.
ChuckC

Offline tomh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 01:15:00 AM »
Thanks guys for all the help. There is way more to it than I would have figured!

Offline tomh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 01:17:00 AM »
So then what would be the reason for nocking over or under the nock point? is it just personal preference?

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 02:09:00 AM »
Its personal preference on where you put your nocking point but I put it above the arrow so that the nock  of the arrow wont slip up on the string when you leave an arrow nocked but you are not holding on to the string or the arrow with the bow in a vertical or near vertical position.
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 10:40:00 AM »
tomh:
Howard Hill use to say that "nocking above the nock point was faster than nocking below". Now I've always been a fan of Howards, but I doubt there is any difference in the two. When you nock above you attach the arrow slightly higher and slide it down. When you nock below you attach slightly below and slide it up!!! IF there is a difference its a nano second.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©