3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: need advise on carbon arrows  (Read 242 times)

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
need advise on carbon arrows
« on: November 21, 2007, 10:00:00 AM »
bought some carbon arrows on sale, they were carbon express, 50 to 60lbs, the two bows I shoot are both longbows with fastflight strings. The little bow is 57 to 60lbs the other one is 68lbs, I put 100 grn brass inserts with 145 grn head. The 60lb bow shoots these really good, then if I switch to 125 grn the 70 lb shoots them good, the arrows are cut to 29 inches, Question for you is it safe to shoot these out of the 70lb bow where there rated lower I got the weight to 580 grn. PS I bare shafted both bows with the different point weights they both are straight in the target but both bows come in slightly tail high. These are the first carbons I have ever bought so any advise is good

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: need advise on carbon arrows
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 10:03:00 AM »
They will be fine.  You are putting alot less stress on them with your trad bows.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 12:31:00 PM »
Apex have you ever had trouble breaking nocks in the carbons. I also have a 72lb longbow it destroyed 2 nocks on a carbon arrow, that is why I have been alittle spooked about shooting them.

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 12:45:00 PM »
I've never had any nock trouble from the string. Gotta few friends who bang my nocks around though.
If you nick them with another arrow as you shoot they can get cracks in the 'wings' that are very hard to see. And then bust as you shoot them next time.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 01:20:00 PM »
Dan,

You'll be fine, I shoot lighter carbons out of my 75# lonbow all the time. If you want to stop changing tips all the time put some 250gr field points on them and you will be amazed at how well they shoot out of both bows and they sure pack a whallop. I know use 250gr up to 385gr up front on all my carbons out of bows from 53# up to 75# no more light tips for me.
hunt it

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 01:28:00 PM »
Thanks to everyone who answered, Still have alot to learn concerning carbon,

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 03:41:00 PM »
Wal-Mart has theirs on sale now.  I'm thinking about picking up a couple for a trial run to see if I like shooting them.

Never shot carbons before so it will be new for me also.

Marvin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©