Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Practice in small areas  (Read 683 times)

Offline NOVAnewbie

• Trad Bowhunter
Practice in small areas
« on: December 29, 2012, 10:08:00 AM »
Hello all, I'm just getting started on my Trad journey.  I've got my Sage, and now have some practice arrows.  

My limitation is that I live in a suburban development and have a pretty small backyard.  I'd say it is about 7 yards wide and about 3 yards deep.  There is a decent safe backstop (a brick wall). Realistically with target and my personal space I'll only be shooting at a target 5 yards away.

I plan on getting a target bag (from one of the sponsors) to do my daily practice there.  

The only times I'll be able to shoot longer distances is when I get out to the archery center about 45 min away, which is to say not often.  I also have access to 10 acres several hours away, which I get out to every few months.

I want to get good enough for hunting.  Will it be enough to practice form in the backyard and do shooting at 15-20 yards only occasionally?  I know that some practice is better than none, but will practicing at mainly shorter distances be detrimental to my hunting aspirations?

Offline NothingHappenedToday

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Practice in small areas
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 10:41:00 AM »
Practicing at that short a distance is great for your form. Don't even worry about aiming or hitting a spot on your target - just concentrate on consistency in hitting anchor, back tensioning, and a clean release. Even try closing your eyes and getting up right next to your target - it really makes your concentrate on your form/release.  If you plan on hunting, you will need to get out to the range more until you're confident that you can make an ethical shot. I never practice more than 20 yards, but don't take hunting shots more than 15 yards. Another option is to find a place where you can stump shoot. Great hunting practice since there is different elevations, yardages, and trees/brush in the way of your shot.

Oh, that brick wall back stop will probably damage your arrows!
Hummingbird Kingfisher Longbow
Hummingbird Dyna-Stick Longbow
Bear Ranger

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
Try to get some training, if you can. A lot of basic archery training takes place at short distances, because it allows you to concentrate on your form without getting distracted. I think you need some instruction to get you started in the right direction, or you might just be practicing mistakes until they begin to feel natural. This might be more likely to happen at short distances, because you're not paying much attention to the arrow, which is great if you're aware of good form and can feel the difference; not so great if you're just practicing bad form.

If possible, get some experience hunting small game. It's not as much of an investment of time and money as a big game hunt, but it's fun, you can still eat them (assuming you hit them), and based on your own experience you will know when you're ready to hunt something bigger.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 11:34:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JordanStalker89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 12:21:00 PM »
I have similar restraints in shooting space. I am in college and live just off campus where it is "frowned upon" to shoot a bow in the backyard. My roommate and myself found that we can get a solid twelve yard shot in the basement. I shoot a least 100 arrows daily, and it has really increased my accuracy. I would start off and focus on form and consistency and it will transfer to longer shots rather quickly.

I found that just being in the archery mindset, spending time thinking about your form, and developing that natural feeling of comfort can benefit shooting greatly.  

Also, I would HIGHLY recommend getting a mattress or other "backstop" in front of the wall. Accidents do happen and without a forgiving backstop you will burn through arrows (and money) quickly.

hopefully that helps and good luck!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©