3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are Forgewoods still available??  (Read 544 times)

Offline Badlands

• Trad Bowhunter
Are Forgewoods still available??
« on: November 21, 2007, 03:16:00 PM »
In Dr. Ashby's last report he mentions Forgewood shafts. Are they still available?
If not what is a good source for hardwood shafts?

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are Forgewoods still available??
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 03:36:00 PM »
I wish Forgewood shafts were stall available.  I keep poking around trying to get some but those who have them are very reluctant to part with their supply.  I still hope one day I will get lucky and acquire one or two dozen in the 70 lb spine range.

As for hardwoods, I believe there are several sponsors here that can supply quality shafts for you.  I can only vouch for Allegheny Mountain Arrow Woods (not a sponsor yet) from personal experience and they have always satisfied me.  Bill is a good person to work with and buy from.
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 04:06:00 PM »
I have a friend of mine who has a large bundle of them his dad bought out an archery shop. they,re about 40 to 50 years old, he shoots a compound and don,t use them, but so far he doesn,t want to part with them, one of these days I,ll catch him in a weak moment.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 04:08:00 PM »
They are very difficult to find; and there is no ongoing supply source. Remarkable material--the shafts are so dense that if you are dipping them they literally want to sink in the dip tube! There are plenty of hardwoods around; but they ain't Forgewoods.
I lucked into 11 raw shafts last week and regarded that as a treasure trove!

Offline nugget

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 04:56:00 PM »
Never seen forgewood. What is it? I  use cedar.But mostly I make my own from oak or poplar.Sourwood is real good to use,bamboo or cane works well also. Those last few are alot of work.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 05:11:00 PM »
I communicated with the owner a year or so ago and he is looking for anyone interested in buying the equipment.  He is in the Kenai/Soldotna area of Alaska.

I think we can all blame carbon shafts for diluting the shaft market too much.

Offline waterone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 05:22:00 PM »
Danny Rowan is quite knowledgeable about forgewoods. Some others here are fans of them as well.

I picked up some a few years ago, wrong spine so I sold them to a collector. Seems like they can afford what they go for now.

Do a search here on forgewoods - there is some good info on here, also do a google search.

I had a "mentor" who shot them some decades ago and they were a great shaft, heavy, durable, very strong.  From what I remember they were a compressed, impregnated wood shaft that had all the good characteristics of wood and yeat took a lot of the negatives out.  A selling point for some is that they were available in the heavy spine ranges when little else was.

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 05:23:00 PM »
I liked using the laminated birch shafts I got from 3 Rivers (who probably gets them Allegheny Mountain Arrow Woods).  They were heavy, tough and pretty straight.  I took a doe with one last year.

Jason

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 05:23:00 PM »
Nugget-Forgewoods are compressed cedar shafts. They were originally made by Bill Sweetland. Bjorn is right, Sweetland's process pressed the fibers so tightly that all the bouyancy is gone. One of their biggest advantages was the increased weight and another was the smaller diameter. Sweetland produced these in a tapered shaft and the less expensive parallel "Battle Shaft." They show up in different versions from time to time as Steve indicated.

Offline nugget

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 05:27:00 PM »
Ok . Was just curios. I have some old shaft I found . They look alittle like wood but I believe they are an old fiberglass like shaft. Too heavy for any of my bows. Just got them hangin out in the shop.They had some 125 gr points on them that almost look aluminum.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 05:39:00 PM »
The best arrow shaft material ever made, bar none. The Sweetlands are the best,made by compressing POC under very high pressure. The tip end is denser than the nock end and they were painted on the ends of the raw shaft to indicate which was point end and which was nock end,red for point and black for nock. I have a couple of sets of the Sweetlands stashed away. Alaskan Forgewoods were made using the original Sweetland equipment and process but they used Alaskan Hemlock instead of POC. They are great shafts also, but in my opinion, not as good as original Sweetlands. Sometimes the Alaskans look pretty crappy and are not near as straight as the Sweetlands. Still, a heavy durable shaft.

There is a set of Sweetlands on that auction site right now but are going for way more than I want to pay for a doz arrows.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Badlands

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 06:43:00 PM »
Thanks guys
I've use POC for years and have experimented a bit with fir but would like to try a tougher heavier arrow.  Until someone decideds to buy the oporation and start producing forgewoods again,I guess I'll try something in a hardwood.
Any suggestions?  
The laminated birch sound good to me.  At least if they work, I'll be able to keep getting them and since they are laminated, they should be fairly straight and consistant.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 07:16:00 PM »
$300+ for a dz. arrows....? Boy, I can buy a lot of good shafts for that!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 11:28:00 PM »
Yep Snag, I like my Sweetlands, but not at that price for a Doz arrows. Weird, I have picked them up for far less money,got two doz for less than $100. Someone wanted those real bad ,LOL.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2007, 11:36:00 PM »
Hey Badlands, try ramin wood.  Heavy and tuff as nails.  Last I checked, Twig archery has 'em.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2007, 02:52:00 AM »
I was watching those arrows. Proly end up on a wall or on display with the St. Charles signature on em. Would have been a nice set to have.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2007, 12:13:00 PM »
Joe St. Charles offered those to me before the auction for 300.00. Even at 320.00 it was a very good deal. The box alone is worth 50.00. I was afraid of them because I have no self discipline and I know that one day they would have wound up in my quiver
on a hunting trip!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©