Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Form videos to review and critique  (Read 476 times)

Offline Jorja Boy

• Trad Bowhunter
Form videos to review and critique
« on: January 03, 2013, 02:49:00 PM »
I need some advice (aside from get a haircut and shave    :)  )  . As is, I am pretty good on the horizontal plane (once warmed up, I'm usually within 1.5" of POA @ 20 yards), but ever so often POI is a foot or more to the left of POA. I consistently hit about 4" higher than where I'm aiming, but sometimes even higher. Shot these videos yesterday and it was the first time I've seen myself shooting. I was surprised at how terrible my form looks. Aside from shooting high, I think I get myself dialed in pretty good during each session but have rarely started a session with any accuracy. Hoping to be good from the first shot so I can hunt. I'm shooting a Toelke Lynx, 46lbs @ 28",  CX heritage 250 cut to 29.5" with 200- 250 gr. field tips. Nock set at 11/16", bh= 7.5". Not looking at the head at all. Just look where I want it to hit and let go. Not sure of draw length because apparently I'm drawing it to 29.5 (which feels right) then collapsing to about 28.5" when I touch my eyebrow to the string. Didn't realize that til I saw the videos. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

video 1

video 2

video 3

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Form videos to review and critique
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 03:24:00 PM »
JB, Some initial thoughts.  You have all your weight on your front leg/foot; you lean forward substantially.  Try to stand straight up and then hold still as you draw. Get your weight on each foot equally and then stand still. Set your head on top of your spine and draw to YOU don't go to "get it."

You are also just using your arm to draw which is giving you inconsistency in each shot.  You will find that if you can get that entire string arm/forearm/wrist and hand as relaxed as possible that it will be easier to bet more back into the draw.  Using the back more will help with your flipping string hand and also help add the consistency you say you are lacking when you start shooting.

It appears from your videos that your target is on the ground in front of you.  IF you can, get it up at about shoulder level.  that will really help you as you start working on your form.

Arne

PS.  See if there are any coaches around you that you can get to.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Jorja Boy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Form videos to review and critique
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 07:55:00 PM »
Arne, thanks for the quick response and evaluation. I was shooting a tree which I could have shot up level with my shoulders. Reason I did it that way is because that is how I have my target set up at home. I could elevate the target but I figured there is a good chance that a deer may present himself at a different elevation from myself, so I should learn to shoot at angles. I've tried drawing horizontal and then bending at the waist, but it feels awkward. I think I do put more on my back from horizontal position but when I try to bend at the waist it seems like all that tension in my back doesn't let me do it.  I am grabbing the string just in front of my last joint of my middle finger. any issues with that?  I've seen where people suggest placing the string on the other side of the crease/ finger tip pad. I will incorporate you're advice and post some more videos once I've made some progress. I'll look into the coaches when I get back. Thanks again.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©