Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Need some form advice (video added)  (Read 619 times)

Offline mountain lion

• Trad Bowhunter
Need some form advice (video added)
« on: January 09, 2013, 07:20:00 PM »
Ok, I've been having some problems, I can't hit where I'm looking. I feel that something has changed in my shooting and I don't know what. When I come to full draw and hit my anchor I can feel my bow arm come up, or I think it's my bow arm, not for sure. And  I consistently shoot high and right no matter what I do, am I collapsing or what. can some please give me their ideas of what I'm doing! Thank you    http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg628/moutainlion/37346A31-EF3F-4CEC-9904-ACC589A122B7-17602-00001FEB7EFDAF03.mp4
Wild Horse Creek  kestrel 60" 56#@28
Black Widow KB X 58" 51@28"
Black Widow PSA lll 60" 52@28"

" Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail " Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline chachamooby

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need some form advice (video added)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 10:10:00 PM »
Make sure you are pulling through with back tension. Sounds like your concentrating on your anchor a lot and becoming "static" before release. You only have to be moving minutely--but moving.
Hope this helps--I'm no expert but experienced a similar "temporary setback" with the high rights  :)

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 10:19:00 PM »
ml,

Not enough Info!  Right or left handed?  "Bow arm come up??"  "But not sure??"  High and right could be caused by any number of things.

You found out that just trying to describe what is happening is hard.  It's even harder to help from a verbal description.  Please post a video or two showing your shot, that will help us help you.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 12:07:00 AM »
Have you tried push-pull?  Push the bow towards the target with your bow hand and pull the arrow back with your draw hand.  (as opposed to a straight-arm swing & draw).

It's odd to be lifting the bow arm.  More often I see guys trying to see the shot that raise their head while dropping their bow arm during release.

If you have a kenetic release make sure you are pulling your elbow straight back as you release.  

Do you have the ability to film yourself?  That can be enlightening.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 09:45:00 AM »
VIDEO is the 1st treatment for cure....   :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline mountain lion

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 10:03:00 AM »
I will try and post a video tonight, thanks!

" Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail " Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 08:10:00 PM »
ml,

You have a lot of really good things going for you. A lot of the basics are good.  Try to maintain them as you work on what I suggest below.

I do now see what you are talking about.  When you raise the bow to draw, you are also lifting your shoulders (both of them like a shrug).  What you want to do is lift the bow arm and string arm but keep the shoulders down in a relaxed position.  Right now, you look like you are trying to cover your ears (to warm them) with your shoulders.

Try this.  Before your lift to draw, lift your shoulders as though you were shrugging.  Then let them relax down to a natural relaxed position. NOW!! KEEP them there!!  Lift the hands with arms/deltoids only -- BUT KEEP THE SHOULDERS DOWN!!  This will also be easier if you can keep your head up more -- don't bend your head over and down so much.  It should be straight up on top of your spine.

Your description of the raising bow arm is correct and is caused by the very high shoulders you end up with as you start to draw.  It puts your bow arm shoulder socket in a weak position and when you release, the ONLY thing your bow arm can do is move down.

Until you "get" this, stand tall, head up with shoulders down and make the shot (this will probably increase your draw length too) .  Once you start to feel comfortable with this(month or two!), then will be the time to experiment with a "hunting crouch" but not yet.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline mountain lion

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 07:10:00 PM »
Thanks a lot Arne, your advice really helped!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©