Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Finally took a couple form videos  (Read 601 times)

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
Finally took a couple form videos
« on: January 16, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »
Well, I've been watching all these great form videos and figured it was time I made a humble attempt.  I can take more later, but tonight the kids were in bed and the wife was free to run the camera, so we headed to the garage for a quickie   ;)  .

I'm shooting a 66" Mohawk Classic, 46@28.  I just watched the videos one time (my first time seeing myself shoot).  Initially, I really wanted to get feedback on back tension and my release.  But after watching the videos, I'm also interested in your thoughts on whether I'm collapsing at any point...I seem to expand to my full draw then settle into my anchor.  Is that good, bad, or indifferent?  

I've been working on rotational draw, back tension, and expansion at release, but for these videos I just went to my comfort shot (I was a little nervous and self-conscious being taped for the first time).  If it looks like my point of aim changes with each shot, it's because it did.  I usually just shoot one arrow and retrieve, but for the video I shot at five different circles on my bag target so I didn't bust nocks.

Anyway, here they are.  I can take more over the next couple days.

http://s1099.photobucket.com/albums/g383/amzlongbow/?action=view¤t=008-3.mp4

http://s1099.photobucket.com/albums/g383/amzlongbow/?action=view¤t=007-2.mp4
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Finally took a couple form videos
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 11:00:00 PM »
Pokerdaddy.

Over all not too bad!!  You DO have a collapse on your shots.  Really watch closely and focus on the arrow tip.  See how it moves forward between reaching anchor and release??  That little collapse (and it is little) is what makes your string hand pop out from your face instead of moving back along your jaw/cheek naturally.  You loose back tension and end up holding with arm muscles.

Once you start that forward motion it is really hard (nearly impossible) to stop it or to regain back tension.  You need to attain a FEEL of never stopping the movement to the rear.  Hit anchor and then continue to pull through the release.

If you can, too, get your backstop (target) up at shoulder level.  That will help you maintain the "magic" 90 degree angle between your bow arm and spine.  This will also help make your shot more solid.  If you can't get the target up higher, then draw on the level, maintain the 90* angle between the bow arm and spine and then bend at the waist to come on target.

Yep,  First time on video plays with your mind.  But your are right to just "take YOUR shot."  Try to forget the camera (video yourself frequently -- don't need to post every one) take a look at what you are doing and then you can delete it unless it is really good.  Camera shyness will go away, no worries.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 11:18:00 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, Arne.  Yeah, I've really been struggling with expanding through the release.  At the moment, I find I have a hard time keeping my bow arm still when I "expand", so then I revert back to my "comfort" shot.  Just having video to review has already been a watershed.  Should have done this a long time ago!
Michigan Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 11:48:00 PM »
That 90* angle will help with the bow arm.  When you get to anchor try thinking, "push my chest out" as you go to the release.  See if that helps.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 03:09:00 PM »
What Mo said....and when you start to shoot lower...bend at the waist and keep the magic 'T'...DON"T just lower your bow arm.

And....how SOLID is your anchor?...looks like you are not hardly touching your face anywhere...I could be wrong...but that's what it looks like.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 05:36:00 PM »
Thanks for posting, Terry.  I'll take a good look at how solid my anchor is.  Right now I'm putting my middle finger to the corner of my mouth.  While I know the corner of my mouth is not static, my face is rather wide in relation to my mouth and when I try to really get in there solid my jowels seem to interfere with my ability to move my string hand back.  Does any of that make sense?

Thank you for the input, guys!  I'll put some practice time in and post another video soon.

Andrew
Michigan Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 10:26:00 PM »
Yeah it looks like your elbow isnt coming around and youare collapsing . Formaster. Time. They are a helpful shooting aid.bob wesley called good form. The power triangle.
Arrow_Flynn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©