Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Split vs 3 Under  (Read 725 times)

Offline BCD

• Trad Bowhunter
Split vs 3 Under
« on: January 22, 2013, 11:00:00 AM »
Is one method really more accurate than the other. I have shot split with my middle finger in the corner of my mouth for over 20 years, but see some posting that 3 under is more accurate. Has anyone ever changed from one to the other and noticed an increase in consistency and accuracy?
BCD

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Split vs 3 Under
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 11:23:00 AM »
Yes three under was the answer for me.But everyone is diffrent.Try it for a while and see what feels better for you.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 11:23:00 AM »
Three under is more accurate for some.  Split finger is more accurate for others.  

Take some time to go to the Legends and Pioneers section of this website and look through the images and videos and count those using three finger under.    :archer:
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 11:24:00 AM »
Keep your middle finger in your mouth.Same anchor just a different sight picture.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 11:34:00 AM »
I don't think one is more accurate then the other one,I shoot split and have for over 20 years.Shooting split just feels more natural to me and just looks more traditional to me.I think for someone just starting out 3 under is easier to become more accurate quicker,maybe I'm wrong JMO.But these days there are plenty of good shooters that shoot split and good shooters that shoot 3 under.I think good form and practice is more important to be a good shooter then shooting split or 3 under.I say shoot what feels good to you!

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 12:18:00 PM »
I shoot for all but the last couple years split.  Started playing with three under a couple years ago on and off, and now I switched a couple months ago.  I cannot say yet if one is more accurate as i am still working on it.  They are about the same on a good day, but split is still more on the mark instinctively because my brain still want to line up stuff the same as always, and I still have to work on getting the bow up and more right when I hit anchor shooting three under.  I do however stack arrows well shooting three under if I just let them go where they want to go.  Now to get them where I look.

The two have very different feels to me with how I draw the bow due to how my string side arm wants to pull and my hand angle.  Split is more canted and tilted head to get a good solid anchor.  Three under is more natural vertical bow and better alignment.  When I try to get vertical bow and the same alignment split, it feels all odd, and I have a hard time getting into my anchor.  I think my issue are where I anchor on my face and my facial structure.  Others may not have this issue at all.

One thing for sure, my release is much cleaner, and I have fewer issues with tuning shooting three under.  No more finger pinch on short bows or even sore index finger from shooting a lot with my finger hooked over the nock a little. I think I torque the string shooting split. I always had issue with the shaft rubbing on the edge of the shelf no matter what nock height and arrow spine I shot. That was part of the reason for the change. I just do not have issue with shelf contact shooting three under.  Fixing the shelf contact issue and a cleaner release should result in better accuracy in the end.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 03:16:00 PM »
I have a very similar experience to xtrema.
I "feel" better alignment and can engage my back easier with an upright 3under style, however, I've gone back to split.
With 3under I felt like I could really line-up the shot and my consistency improved on targets but the bow is louder and feels harsher in the hand.  When I shoot split, my longbows are so quiet with just a mild thump.  I believe that for the average person, 3under can allow you to achieve sufficient accuracy faster/easier, but the upright vertical bow, slow draw, long pause at anchor, checking my arrow point against my pre-determined gap for the distance which I'd better know...  that's why I gave up the wheels in the first place.  When I'm lucky enough to be shooting at game I've got other things on my mind.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 07:49:00 PM »
I enjoy shooting 3 under. My bow is even tiller, and fairly quiet.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Online Stealth Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 12:55:00 AM »
Done both.  Recently switched back to split.  Got tired of the louder bow.  Split also makes the bow act "smoother".  These observations are for the three bows I shoot.  Even when adjusting the nock.  There is certainly a difference in aiming technique.  For me, split teds to focus me more on the bowhand/target relationship while three under tends to focus me more on the arrow/target relationship. Who knows, maybe I'll switch back to three under for my next post.

Offline jerseyboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 05:35:00 AM »
after 35 years shooting split finger switched to 3 under and cant go back
And in the end when i can no longer draw the bow or watch the arrow embark on its flight;when i posses only the spirit of the hunter, i will hunt.... if only in my dreams... because the hunt is born amidst my soul, and i... i am the hunter

Offline So-Mo Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 10:11:00 AM »
I started out as a split shooter, and had a lot of pinch, consistency, and aiming issues (cross-eye-dominant). I switched to 3 under, and have no intentions of turning back! I was immediately greeted with no pinch, tighter groups, and a more natural aim. My sight picture is cleaner, and I notice that my bow is quieter with 3 under.

Generally, though, the decision is up to the archer, and what feels right to them. Both styles work well, 3 under is a tad less secure, in that, you have less contact with the nock. With practice and a proper setup, however, this drawback can be controlled. Go with what works, but do give both styles an honest trial before deciding. FWIW.
Matt

Ben Pearson Rogue, 55 @ 28
SoMo Red Warrior, 47 @ 28
Compton's
NCBA
NCWRC Hunters Ed Instructor
"The shortest answer is to do the thing!" - Ernest Hemingway

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 02:20:00 PM »
I shoot both ways sometimes. When I get serious I shoot two under.

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 09:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by Stealth Man:
Done both.  Recently switched back to split.  Got tired of the louder bow.  Split also makes the bow act "smoother".  These observations are for the three bows I shoot.  Even when adjusting the nock.  There is certainly a difference in aiming technique.  For me, split teds to focus me more on the bowhand/target relationship while three under tends to focus me more on the arrow/target relationship. Who knows, maybe I'll switch back to three under for my next post.
Same here.

Went from two finger split from a young age to two under about a two years ago. I forced myself to go three split with middle finger to mouth corner and can't believe how quiet my bows got. I made the split three switch roughly in November.

I can't see going back to being an all under shooter. Now the split three seems natural. I also went to nocking above the string nock point for ease of stringing an arrow without looking.

I noticed a short curve in accuracy, but I'm back to my normal for my 15 yard hunting range personal limit.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 03:47:00 AM »
I have tried both styles. I shot split with a compound for many years, so it just felt very natural to me.

I have found that split is more for true instinctive shooters, and 3 under is for people who aim, but that's just my opinion. It is almost impossible for me to snap shoot using 3 under, and it just don't feel right trying to shoot quick with 3 under. On the other hand it is almost impossible for me to aim while shooting split finger.

After a lot of trial and error 3 under is what I have learned to love. Shooting 3 under puts my arrow point in my line of vision with the target. With using good form I have found that my right and left shots stay very consistent shooting 3 under. As far as up and down aiming, I've tried many different methods of aiming, gap, split vision, using my side plate for elevation, use what works for you!

Whichever way that one decides to shoot, it takes dedication and commitment in order to get really good. After all in traditional archery consistency is the name of the game. I know some really great shots that shoot both ways. The one thing that the great shots all have in common is they are simply addicted to archery.

As far as noise I've never noticed any difference at all shooting 3 under or split, but that's just me.

With proper form, tuning and practice either way can and will work. Like already mentioned it is a personal thing, so go with what works best for you.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©