Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: longbow string hitting nose  (Read 869 times)

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
longbow string hitting nose
« on: February 07, 2013, 05:43:00 PM »
Not sure what I am doing wrong but my bow string keeps hitting my nose tip.  Got to where it bleeds within a few shots.  I shoot right handed with spilt fingers.  Anyone ever experience this and what can I do to correct?
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: longbow string hitting nose
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 06:23:00 PM »
Get your nose out of the way!

I been having the same issue recently because I have been playing with my anchor and form a little plus playing with my bow cant or lack of one.  Also had this when I first changed from glove to tab.  

I am working on rotating my head more at the target and fine-tuning my form and anchor.  I hit it off and one a few days in the process and just catch it a bit now and then, but it is about cleared up.  

This could also be from your shoulders not being lined up with your arrow line.  You could have your bow arm in line with your shoulders and be shooting angled at your bow arm and getting string travel more into your face.  

I do it more split than three under.  Three under I put my nose on a feather and that keeps it just out of the way.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 07:21:00 PM »
What xtrema said AND, this is FREQUENTLY caused by drawing too far back on the face.  Pictures or a video would help us help you Dave.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline manfromthepast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 10:56:00 PM »
Not saying you don't have a form issue you don't need to work out but in the meantime to lessen the sting and give your nose a chance to heal, try the following.  Go to your local hardware store's electrical department and pick up a $.50 piece of 1/8" diameter heat shrink tubing. Take your string off your bow and remove any string silencer on the top half of your string  Cut about a 2" piece of the heat shrink tubing and slide it onto your string from the top down until it is about 1/4" from your nock. Hold it in place and roll it over a hot lightbulb to shrink it in place. It doesn't weigh anything so it won't foul up your tuning. The tubing is smoother than your serving thread and slight contact won't re-open your brush burn while you try to figure out the root cause of your problem.

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 08:17:00 AM »
Thanks to all.  

Moebow - I will try to get wife to video me using my phone.  How do I load vides here?

Good news is that in April I am attending Rick Welch's one-on-one so hopefully form will be corrected.  I think it is related to how I am turning my head?  I noticed when I started to stand more perpendicular to target is when I started having this problem.

Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 08:28:00 AM »
Dave,  

Photo Bucket or similar service is how to post video here.

Also, If you "lay" your head over to the string as you reach full draw might be a reason too.  Try pulling the string to your face, don't go to meet it.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 08:50:00 AM »
Thanks Arne - and thanks for your videos - good stuff.  Ever consider making a video on setting up a long bow and fine tuning?  You do such a good job explaining things

Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 09:07:00 AM »
Dave,

I have thought about that but I haven't figured out how to show the effects on arrow flight.  To me, tuning is very dependent on observing arrow flight and the effects on the "system" as  changes are made.  I just don't think I have the "technology" or video skills to do that project justice.

I'm glad the videos I have done have been of help to some.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 09:31:00 AM »
One other thing you might check is being left eye dominate and shooting right handed. I have had that problem for years, and tend to want to get that dominate eye over the arrow putting my big nose in the way.  Good luck
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline ArrowCraCra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 12:36:00 PM »
Don't feel alone since I switched from my wheel bow my string slices my nose frequently.  I am working on different anchors in front of the bale including the under the chin anchor and index finger to canine eminence .  The under the chin anchor does eliminate the problem but the sight picture feels unnatural.   I am shooting 3 under with a band-aid on my nose for the time being.  It looks ridiculous but until I am confident the problem is resolved I figure it is like an arm guard for my nose.  

I am glad you asked and will be following this thread this to learn from also.  

Another thanks to Moebow and Ranger B for your videos.  They are well done and very informative!
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.

John Wayne

Offline longrifle346

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 07:08:00 PM »
I think I'd open my stance up a tad to see if that helped....
If you find yourself in a fair fight? Your tactics suck!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©