Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Form Videos. Please help.  (Read 675 times)

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
Form Videos. Please help.
« on: February 11, 2013, 11:03:00 PM »
Hey guys.  My form has suffered.  So I started filming hoping for some help.  Please "let me have it!"  I can see some things I'm doing wrong but wanna hear about the things maybe I am not noticing.  These videos are of various views shooting from my knees (basement ceiling is too short)  Thanks guys!

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Form Videos. Please help.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 11:06:00 PM »
Oh, by the way.  These shots were all taken with my eyes closed. (blind bale).

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 11:26:00 PM »
I can see slight collapsing on some shots.  Also, for whatever reason, on some shots my string hand comes back to my neck and on others it does not.  When I am really focusing on completing the J for some reason my hand does not come all the way back. That I don't get. What about allignment? Am I getting there?

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 11:33:00 PM »
Also I can see my bow moving around alot before I shoot.  I think this has to do with having my eyes closed.  I don't notice this when I have them open.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 11:47:00 PM »
All in all I think the last video looks the best.  But I'll take any suggestions I can get!

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 07:32:00 AM »
I thought over the shoulder looks okay to me for alignment.  But, maybe you can get your string elbow around a little farther around and in line with your arrow.  You are kind of low to the camera for front and back, and I will be interested in what other say about your shoulder and arms from those angles.  

I don't see a big collapse most of the time, but do see some hand fly out on some shots.  The thing about blind bail for me when I started was that with my eyes closed, I could concentrate too much on release and not on pulling.   Eyes closed I can get real smooth flowing release because my brain can time the pull and release.  With yes open that can then turn to a static or slight collapse because I can’t concentrate on aiming, pulling and being smooth on release all at the same time.  I have to concentrate on pulling when blind bailing.  I wonder if you are just pulling with automatic release or if you are timing a little.  What happens when you open your eyes?

Shot a few eyes closed and eyes open or mix them a little to see.  That is what I have been doing.   I will tell the camera if my eye are open or closed for the shot and then I can watch it and see the difference if there is one.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 07:48:00 AM »
After watching them all again I did spot a couple creeps and fly outs.  Overall I think to static.  Really concentrate on getting into the back muscles and keep pulling through the shot.  Your release will get more dynamic.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 08:06:00 AM »
Thanks xtrema312!

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 09:02:00 AM »
I'm pretty much in agreement with xtrema.  Over all your alignment at full draw is pretty good.  I do think that the somewhat cramped space you have there is causing a couple problems.

Even though you have the target set up on something, your bow arm in the last video is definitely angled down.  You are not maintaining the critical 90* angle between bow arm and spine.  This is also making your string shoulder look a little too high and can cause bow arm instability.

It is hard to tell from the video but it looks like you have a pretty good "death" grip on the bow.  The harder you try to hold it still (with muscles) the more it will move. Try a more relaxed bow  hand and arm and let your arm bones support the bow weight. (If you're not -- just can't quite make it out in the video)

The collapse -- ah, the collapse.  It is there in each shot and, of course, the hardest to overcome on your own or through the typed word.  Many times what happens is you get to anchor, and start to think about relaxing your fingers for the release, the entire string side relaxes and you get the creep/collapse.

Sometimes this can be over come by changing what you are thinking about at the time.  IF you are thinking about the fingers and string release, your mind ignores the rest of your string side and it will just naturally "give in" to the weight of the bow.

Try to change what you are thinking about (as xtrema said) to shoulder and/or elbow movement only.  Try thinking about moving them toward your back and perpendicular to the arrow line.  This is one way to accomplish the "J" motion you want at release.  Making that movement (it is very small)will rotate your forearm and consequently the fingers will "pull through" the string with no direct thought on your part.

That is one suggestion.  Another way to think about or try it is to simply make the decision to move to your follow through position.  No thought about the fingers, just move to the position you see as your final position.

Bottom line is that at full draw, you need to find a way to continue the shoulder/elbow movement back and to not ever stop that movement.

The anchor/holding position is not a stopping point!!  Your string & string hand comes to a stop on your face but the movement on your elbow/shoulder cannot stop, they must continue to "press" to the rear.

Jon,  I know this makes is sound bad and I don't mean for it to sound that way.  You are REALLY very close to great form, what I have listed are what I would term small corrections that can produce BIG results.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 09:15:00 AM »
Thanks Arne. Yes a lot of these problems are some that I did not have before. They came about as a result of a lack of shooting practice and not enough form work.  Also I have changed my anchor point. The anchor feels better but it's like starting all over again! I knew my accuracy was waning so I decided I better figure out why!  Much easier to do with the video camera. Keep it coming guys. You ain't gonna hurt my feelings. Trying to get it back together!

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 09:17:00 AM »
Also guys. I took like 30 video clips last night. I purpously put what I thought were the worst ones up to gain feedback. I'll post some of what I thought were the better ones tonight to see if that is closer to the right direction.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 09:30:00 AM »
Arne I can for sure see what you are saying in the last video. My bow arm is dropped down!  That's a rookie mistake!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©