Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Maintaining form on low target  (Read 453 times)

Offline bartcanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
Maintaining form on low target
« on: February 15, 2013, 03:44:00 PM »
I have been doing Terry's workout to move up in bow weight which has not only resulted in increased strength but also improved form.

The problem I'm having is maintaining form, particularly reaching anchor when shooting a low target.  It almost feels more difficult to engage the back when bending at waist.

I wish I had a way to video, but I don't.

Dave
Dave

US Army Retired (1984-2013)
Job 42:1-6

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Maintaining form on low target
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 04:27:00 PM »
I haven't found it to be more difficult to engage my back when bending at the waist.  I don't know why you do find it to be more difficult, so I will make a guess, which may be off base.  I think it's important to maintain your center of mass over your feet when you bend at the waist.  I do this by thrusting my hips out in the opposite direction that I'm bending, and if necessary, bending my leading knee, so my center of mass stays over my feet.  I first noticed this in a picture of medieval archers shooting down from castle walls.  At first it looked odd to me, but then I realized the artist was actually making a pretty accurate rendition of how people should stand when they shoot down.

If I were to bend by simply leaning over, my center of mass would be out in front of my feet, and I'll bet it would be harder to engage my back.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 05:27:00 PM »
McDave is right!  I'll add that when you are working on this try this technique to get the "feel."  Draw on the horizon being sure you are maintaining that (very necessary) 90 degree angle between your bow arm and spine.  This should put you into your back as normal.  Now, following McDave's advice lower your "T" to the target.

Establish your shot FIRST THEN adjust your aim while maintaining your form.  A common error that takes you right out of the back is to just lower your bow arm, that destroys your "T" and your back tension.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 06:34:00 PM »
You may be 'arching' more than you think instead of bending.

I demonstrate on the Bowhunters of Tradgang DVD how your draw length should be the same no matter the position if you are properly aligned.

So, make sure you are bending....and feel free to cant the bow more.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline bartcanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 08:24:00 PM »
Thanks all three responses were helpful.  I saw some improvement today, but still have some work to do.
Dave

US Army Retired (1984-2013)
Job 42:1-6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©