Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: vertically challenged...  (Read 550 times)

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
vertically challenged...
« on: February 25, 2013, 08:47:00 AM »
Let me start be saying I don't have a video to post at this time, just looking for some ideas...

I was shooting pretty good until about a month ago when I modified by form by bringing my anchor back to my jaw.  I had been using an index finger at the corner of my month, but that didn't get my back completely engaged.  Now I'm using by thumb under/behind my jaw as an anchor point.  Since the switch I've been having vertical point of impact problems.  Typically my arrows will strike within and inch or two left to right of the center line of my point of aim, but either high or low (we're talking 8-12" high or low).  Any ideas what could be causing this?

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: vertically challenged...
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 09:08:00 AM »
Maybe your new anchor hasn't settled in yet. A 1/8" movement up or down at your anchor can make a 6" difference in where the arrow hits at 20 yards. I guess that's why they say to feel for a bone or tooth rather than just anchor on a spot on your face, because there is easily enough slippage in your skin to account for a 1/8" movement or more.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 09:16:00 AM »
I'm hoping things just haven't settled in yet...my new anchor seems pretty solid to me, thumb bone along bottom of jaw with thumb crotch nestled in the corner of my jaw under my ear...

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 11:37:00 AM »
You need to get your index finger placed, or if three under, nose on the feather.  You can still rotate your head up and down a lot with your thumb anchored in your jaw.  I do the same and even feel a nice solid jaw bone in the J of my palm and thumb, but I can still move my head some if I don't get my index finger solid under my cheek  bone shooting split or that plus nose on a feather shooting three under.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 12:35:00 PM »
Another thing that may not have settled in yet is your new draw length. A half-inch variation in draw length from shot to shot could account for some of your up/down misses. If you think this could be one of the causes, you could get one of those stick-on clickers and use it for a while until things settle in.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 10:17:00 PM »
Is there any chance that you lean into the draw with your head ?, I"m asking about the old anchor point ? This would prevent you from engaging your back muscles.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 09:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by njloco:
Is there any chance that you lean into the draw with your head ?, I"m asking about the old anchor point ? This would prevent you from engaging your back muscles.
In the videos I've taken so far that hasn't been an issue.  Doesn't mean it isn't an issue now, but I would be surprised if that's the problem...

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 11:49:00 AM »
I think I may have fixed the problem.  I don't think I had enough hand on the grip.  I lowered my wrist last night and things got a lot better.  I'm not sure why that problem showed up when I modified my anchor point, but a lower wrist grip seems to have helped...

Offline Golden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 02:30:00 PM »
Had that same problem here while back after Switching anchors. Like you i went to the jaw. All my shots where dropping bad. This went on for a while. Seems what i was doing was letting my form go. I was so worried about getting use to my new anchor i let my form get sloppy.
Golden

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©