3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: One shaft size to fit both?  (Read 406 times)

Offline rybohunter

• Trad Bowhunter
One shaft size to fit both?
« on: November 21, 2007, 05:59:00 PM »
I have a 50# @ 28 longbow and a 55# @ 28 recurve. If I play with point weight and shaft length, do you think I can get 2016 shafts to work for both bows? The recurve is significantly faster than my longbow despite just being 5# heavier.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: One shaft size to fit both?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 06:07:00 PM »
I would think so as long as ya leave the shaft long for the LB, ya may even get away with 125 grain points on each, just leave the shaft full length for the LB and cut back a bit at a time until they fly well for ya. Shawn
Shawn

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 06:09:00 PM »
Guess you could try first, before ya go out and buy more arrows.

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Mike Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 08:25:00 PM »
I am shooting 3555 Gold Tips with 220 grain tips out of 5 recurves and 5 long bows.  All bows are 55 lbs at 27".

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 09:11:00 PM »
I too shoot 3555's out of bows between 47# and 55#. The 2016's should work OK depending how hard the recurve shoots. Give em a try.

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline rybohunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 06:50:00 AM »
So I might be underspined for the recurve? Which would be a better route to try 1st, setting point weight and adjust with length, or setting length and adjust point weight?

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 06:59:00 AM »
I always lean to the heaver spine but I only shoot wood. I use 70# to 75# arrows with 160 grain, field, blunts, and broadheads on 4 longbows from 60# to 67# and they all shoot fine. Did spend a lot of time tuning the bows though.
lll

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 07:27:00 AM »
As has been pointed out, you can probably accomplish that with a combination of arrow length and/or point weight. You might want to consider your style of shooting in deciding what to tweak.  I would think interchanging arrows of different lengths when switching bows would drive a gap shooter to distraction. The same might be said of arrows of different weights (and trajectory) for the instinctive shooter.  Just my 2 cents!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 08:58:00 AM »
Good luck with it.  I have tried several times to tune a new bow to shoot arrows that I had for another one with similar specs.  Many times they will shoot pretty well, but I always end up building and tuning specific arrows for a bow to get the most out of it.  Let us know what you come up with.

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2007, 09:18:00 AM »
I am shooting Carbon Express, Heritage 250 with a 45# recurve and a 50# longbow. The total arrow weight is 580 grains the tip weight is 125 grains. This arrow setup works fine for both of my bows.

Both of my bow manufactures recommend not shooting below 8 grains of arrow weight for every pound of bow weight. So with the setup mentioned above the recurve setup is 12.89 grains per pound of bow weight and the longbow is 11.6 grains per pound of bow weight.

580 grains / 45# = 12.88888

580 grains / 50# = 11.6

Hope this helps.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline buks2hunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 09:25:00 AM »
I shoot 2016's out of my recurve that is 55 @ 28 and the same arrows out of my longbow that is 59 @ 28. They both shhot like lasersyou may need to set the nock point a little higher on the long bow that is what worked for me hope it helps. Oh and they both have 125 up front.

Bill
Big bucks look good on the wall, but I still haven't found a way to tenderize those bones!

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2007, 12:01:00 PM »
Yes you can. I would start by tuning the arrow to the longbow then tune the recurve to that arrow.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©