Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: ring finger callous  (Read 666 times)

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
ring finger callous
« on: February 28, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »
Hello everyone!  I'm brand new to the trad archery and just got signed up in the trad gang. I had the pleasure of picking up a Black Widow PL-III at the end of Dec and absolutely love it, but my ring finger is developing a callous that is still pretty sore after my shooting sessions.

I usually shoot for an hour or so and that is about all I want to!  Is this something that I should expect and will toughen up over time or do I need to change things up a bit?

I have switched back and forth with a glove and tab....  same end result.

thanks,

Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ring finger callous
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 11:01:00 PM »
Do you shoot split or 3 under ? If split, try concentrating on putting draw pressure on the middle finger as you start to pull. Also check your string elbow, it is probably to high upon release. Unfortunately I can't help with 3 under as I shoot split, but someone will shine if you shoot this way, just let us know.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 12:09:00 AM »
X2 high string elbow. Been there done that.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Retnuh Wob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 01:38:00 AM »
One hour is way too long for a practice session. More frequency of practice and less duration is better. If you shoot too long you start to get tired and when you get tired you start to develop bad habits. Hence the callouses.

I try to limit my practce sessions to no more than 15 or 20 arrows at the most and often less than that. I shoot almost every day even if it is only a couple of arrows in my 7yd. indoor range. I have been shoting trad for about one year and have made continual progress.

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 06:34:00 AM »
Thanks for the speedy reply!!!  

Yes, I do shoot split finger and have been shooting in the basement at 9 yrds because of work schedule and LOTS of snow.  
So I shoot one arrow at a time so I don't tear up any more arrows....  I will try concentrating on keeping my draw elbow down.  I did try a 2 finger split draw, but couldn't control the arrow on the shelf during the draw.

I will also cut down the time I spend shooting and really concentrate on the arrows that I do shoot.

Thanks again!
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 06:48:00 AM »
Rodd,

IF you are doing it right, there should be no pain and no calluses!  The elbow is one reason for this to happen but there are others. You should experiment with a completely relaxed string forearm and wrist.  IF you are relaxed there, the string of the bow will align your fingers to a straighter position. Also, don't place the string on your finger tips, put it into the first joint of the fingers (deep hook). You might want to take a look at a video I did a while back called "release tips."  You can find the video by going to You Tube and doing a search for "TheMoebow1"  See if that gives you any help.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 08:06:00 PM »
Thanks again for all the responses!  I've been on you tube most of this afternoon and I hope that I will be able to make your suggestions work!  Thaks for the pm njloco.

Thanks Arne!
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline bbold

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 04:35:00 PM »
I had the same thing and lowering my elbow fixed it.

James

Offline Josh Perdue

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 11:51:00 PM »
I had the same problem and found i wasnt hooking the string with that finger like i was the other two. I didnt have a deep enough hook. When i really paid attention i found the string lying on my callous as opposed to in the joint but listen to moebows advice

Offline Stumpknocker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 02:27:00 AM »
My fix for this problem was making sure I did not cant the bow too much.  Make sure the string is not torquing ur fingers.  My callous and finger pain went away working out bow and string hand alignment.  Be careful about focusing too much on lowering ur elbow or u may loose good back tension.
Let's go to the woods and learn things about life (Penelope, age 4, to me).  

plx osage 62" 56@28
sax bocote 60" 54@28
Morrison Shawnee 56" 56@28

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 01:18:00 PM »
thanx all!  i really appreciate all the feedback.  i have found that i wasn't getting deep enuf hooks and my elbow was up....  just like what is mentioned!
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©