Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Switching from fingers to tab: impact on form?  (Read 539 times)

Offline dfrois

• Trad Bowhunter
Switching from fingers to tab: impact on form?
« on: March 04, 2013, 06:53:00 AM »
Hello to all,

this question is adressed to those of you who started shooting with fingers, and later switched to a shooting tab. What impact on your form did you find, and how easy was it to adapt to the tab?

I have tried a platform-style shooting tab last weekend, because I was having sore fingers after going up in weigth on my recurve. I was doing pretty well, for a newbie, before the switch, but with the tab, the arrows were pulling far too much to the right. It got better after I started giving more attention to body and hands alignment, but even after about 100 arrows things were not very good. There was a visible improvement, but even after adjusting the sight, grouping was much worse than before. I realise one morning's shooting is not enough, and I still have to practice a lot more, but I would like to know what those of you that did a similar switch found, as far as adjusting form and style is concerned. I shoot split-finger, on a 62" recurve. The new limbs are 48#, and I was shooting 33# before.

Thanks.

DF

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Switching from fingers to tab: impact on form?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 08:01:00 AM »
dfrois,

Are you shooting left or right handed?  Need to know in order to help.

With a new tab, look at how the plate (platform) might have changed your hand position on your face.  Also be sure that the length of the tab is 1/4 to 3/8 inch (7 to 10mm) SHORT of your finger tips when you have a hook on the string.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline dfrois

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 09:20:00 AM »
Hi there, Moebow

I was hoping you would chime in. You are one of my heroes here. I don't post a lot, but I read and try to learn, and I have watched your videos, and read your responses to other posters, and I can safely say that you are responsible for me having some back tension built into my form! I am a real newbie, having started shooting last July, but I am progressing, and was pretty happy with my shootng until last Sunday. I shoot right-handed, and I think you are right about hand position on the face. Last night, after dinner, I messed with the tab and positioning, and found what you advised others to do: the leather is too long, and is rubbing my cheek, keeping my index finger too far away from my mouth, where I anchor. I forced the tab inwards (this was all without a bow, just checking positions), and found the feeling of my old form on the face. I also thought I should trim the length of the leather - it is quite a bit longer than my fingers. I also opened the gap between the two tongues of leather...but my muscles were too tired to try it with a bow. I will practice with a lighter bow tonight. I just didn't know if I was going in the right direction or not. Hence the question.

I was grouping in 2-3 inches at around 20 yards before, sometimes better, with the lighter limbs and fingers, and I would like to reach this with the heavier limbs and the tab, sometime in the (not too) distant future...I want to reach a standard that will allow me to take the hunting permit confidently.

Sorry for rambling...how long do you think a normal person should take to make this transition successfully? And thank you for taking the trouble to answer this.

DF

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 09:37:00 AM »
DF,  Common coaching theory says that it takes 21 practice sessions to break or form a habit.  Adding a piece of equipment (like a tab) falls in this category.  Also, during this time is it very common that your shooting level will decrease for a while.  You are working with something new and it will distract you from other parts of your shot so your accuracy will suffer until the new item becomes integrated into your shot sequence.  During your time working with the new tab, shoot "blank bale" so you can concentrate on the tab feel and release actions.

Don't worry, your accuracy is still there, it is just taking a back seat to your currently new "thing."   Take your time, be patient and give yourself a "fair" chance at the new tab.  In the end, it WILL help your shooting as compared to bare fingers.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline dfrois

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 01:05:00 PM »
Wow...21 practice sessions! I never would have thought it would take that much! I guess I will just have to shoot a few arrows every night to get used to the new tab, concentrating on execution and using a blank bale. Perhaps I should also change back to the old, weaker limbs, so that the tab would be the only change. I was still getting used to the stronger limbs when the fingers issue appeared. In the meantime, many thanks, Arne, both for showing the way and for confirming that the tab is a better way forward.

DF

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »
Terry Green has a nice workout method for going up in weight, I have never tried it but it seems good, try and do a search on it.

I went from fingers to a tab a couple of years ago, I am a veteran shooter but was out of the game for awhile and just came back in 2008/09. I switched to a tab because a 2 x national champ and 2 x world champ suggested it to me, it took me a few weeks to get use to but once it took hold, I never looked back.

Recently I misplaced my tabs and had to use my old glove, no problems at all, it would seem that once you make the switch it's easy to go back and fourth, at least for me it was.

Do what Moe suggested and trim it down, that is very important for shooting, but don't cut too much off because you can't add it back on.

Good luck.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 04:55:00 PM »
I don't shoot with a tab...but shoot gloves...

Finger protection is not related to form UNLESS its something obvious that 'puts' you out of form or aggrivates your concentration.

Also, if you are hunting and forget your tab...or glove....no worries...and if you don't have your glove/tab on and get a chance to shoot an animal, no need to fiddle around putting it on.  Yes, I've killed several animals without my glove.

Just worry about shooting the animal....you wont ever know if you have finger protection on or not.  Glove/tabs are not part of form, or some sort of magic aid.  All they are for is allowing you to shoot a lot without finger discomfort.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline dfrois

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 01:10:00 PM »
Thanks to all that posted for all the help. I am pretty sure that what is/was happening was what Terry said: the tab was changing the way I positioned my string hand, by changing the sensory feedback I got, and trimming it, as Arne suggested (many thanks!) REALLY helped to get back to my original position...and now I am closer. I have not had much free time, but I did manage to trim the tab a bit (actually, I cut two new leather parts for it, using the originals as templates and shortening the fingers part a bit), and did fire a few shots with it, and it is much better. I am confident I will get back to the confort zone easily, with a bit more fiddling...and then,back to thoughtful practice.

Terry, I wish I was already seasoned enough to be able to take your advice, but I think I am still too much of a newbie, in shooting terms, to get there. I have no doubt that you are right, but I still need a LOT more shooting to be able to shoot effectively without thinking about the details of what I am doing. Perhaps when I get there, in a few years time, I will be able to advise some lost newbie that comes around here asking about tabs...and give back to this community some of the great help I have had! Many thanks to all of you.

Daniel Fróis

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 10:21:00 PM »
Daniel,
I shot with a glove for 6 years and decided to try a tab when I started having sore fingers after increasing my draw weight.
I was hooked after a couple of sessions and have not looked back.  By using a Black Widow tab, my pain was gone and my consistency was greatly improved.
About the only difference I see between us though is that I shoot 3 under and you shoot split.
You've received a lot of good information.  The only thing I would add is to shoot how you feel comfortable.  The only thing you need to force in this sport is form.
Ken
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©