Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Is this the forum to talk about shoulder injuries?  (Read 476 times)

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Is this the forum to talk about shoulder injuries?
« on: March 08, 2013, 05:15:00 PM »
I've had some pain in my bow shoulder/upper arm area. I've done some research and figure it is healable but I have a Dr. appointment on Mon. and will probably get an x-ray.

Are bow shoulder rotator cuff injuries common? I'm not sure how I did it but it may have been from trying to pull a bow that is too heavy for me. I'm used to shooting around 50# and this bow is more like 60#. I couldn't get it to full draw, but I did try. I don't remember feeling anything at that moment but I'm not sure what else it could be. Maybe wts at the gym?
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is this the forum to talk about shoulder injuries?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 05:34:00 PM »
b.glass,

I don't know how Terry or Rob will see this regarding form.  But, it is more common, I think, for bow shoulder injuries to be impingement rather than RC.  Guess it kind of depends on what you are doing with your bow arm/shoulder.

To my knowledge, pulling too heavy a bow is more often manifested in the string arm and shoulder.

For educational purposes I'd like to see what you find out from the Dr. if you are willing to share.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 05:55:00 PM »
Rest and anti-inflamatories are recommended for healing. I'm consuming natural AIs like ginger and tumeric (mustard). And I won't shoot for a while. My research tells me it could take as much as 3 months.

They say it could be poor form or from pulling too heavy a bow. I've been told my form is pretty good and I know I've tried to pull that heavy bow a few times, (I've been doing some wt. training), even though I didn't feel anything at the time.

I will let you know what the Doc says.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 08:20:00 PM »
Mainly on the bow side I've heard of elbow problems (tennis elbow) from repetitive shock from shooting too many shots from a bow that has too much hand shock.  I've known people who have shoulder injuries on either side where shooting the bow aggravates an old injury that was originally caused by something else. But as Arne says, shoulder injuries caused by the bow are mainly on the string side.

Whatever the cause, shoulder injuries take a long time to heal, so you have to do the right things, as recommended by your Dr or physical therapist, and have patience. From the looks of your picture, you're still young enough to be able to heal quicker than a lot of the rest of us.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »
Bona....talk to your doctor.    :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©