Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Trad Newbie  (Read 514 times)

Offline bowlvr614

• Trad Bowhunter
Trad Newbie
« on: March 10, 2013, 04:59:00 PM »
Good day to all!  I have been involved with archery for about 35 years now. when I first started i was using a recurve bow. But shortly afterwards if went to a compound bowand have shot them for about 33 years. I just recently gave up the compound for another recurve. I have a few questions. i have heard these terms but don't quite understand them.

1.  How do you tune a recurve bow? i was not aware that you could.

2.  I am right handed, how do I keep the proper foem while holding the bow without the arrow falling off the shelf when I draw?

3.  My bow is approx. 40-45 pound draw probably closer to 45 since my draw lenth is about 29". What arrow weight would you recommend?

4. Finally, I shoot instinctive, ( no sights ), but I can't seem to find a comfortable anchor point. I am used to a low anchor shooting with a release but is very awkward with fingers and very inconsistant.  Where would be a good starting point for an anchor point? I want to shoot with the nock closer to my eye but I can't find a solid point.

Any information on these issues would be greatly appreciated.   Thank You !
Live for something or you"ll die for nothing.

Offline bowlvr614

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trad Newbie
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 05:19:00 PM »
One more question,,,,,

I get back tension since i shot a compound with a back tension release. But I don't quite understand the release with fingers using back tension. Do you just relax your string hand while pulling with backtension or do you just use the back to pull until your hand just releases?  Please help with this one because I have a bad tendencie to just quickly jerk release, ( for lack of a better term ).

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 05:27:00 PM »
Sam,

Welcome to TG and trad shooting.  Lots of questions and we all will try to help but finding a local shooter that can help will really shorten the learning curve.  Until then...

1. Tuning a recurve or longbow is different than a C bow.  Initially, adjust your string (by twisting) to set the brace height up and down (within manufacturer's recommended range).  Find a place where the bow is quietest.  Set a nocking point at about 1/2 to 5/8 inch above square.  At this point do NOTHING else.  Learn to shoot with what you have.  There is more to tuning to be sure BUT you will save time, effort, frustration and dollars IF you just shoot for a good while.  You WILL get to a point where you know more tuning is in order.  Bottom line is that a traditional bow cannot be effectively tuned IF your shot sequence (form) is not consistent!

2.  See my answer in #4 below.

3.  Get some inexpensive aluminum 1916s with 125 grain points or carbons of about 500 to 550 spine range.  These may or may not be "perfect" BUT see my answer in #1 above.

4.  There are some videos I did a while back that should give you many answers as to deep hook, arrow falling off the shelf, anchor position and form in general. You Tube, "TheMoebow1"; Terry Green has a "sticky" thread at the top of the shooters form forum that will help greatly too.

Set aside what you "believe" from your compound shooting, this is a "new animal."

Again Welcome!

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Arkansas Osage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 05:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by bowlvr614:
Good day to all!  I have been involved with archery for about 35 years now. when I first started i was using a recurve bow. But shortly afterwards if went to a compound bowand have shot them for about 33 years. I just recently gave up the compound for another recurve. I have a few questions. i have heard these terms but don't quite understand them.

1.  How do you tune a recurve bow? i was not aware that you could.
By adjusting the brace height of your bow and the nock location on your string.

2.  I am right handed, how do I keep the proper foem while holding the bow without the arrow falling off the shelf when I draw?
Don't grip the bow tightly with your left hand, brace the bows grip against the ball of your thumb, most people cant the bow to the right at an angle, the severity of the angle depends on the shooter, this will lay the arrow against the bow. If you have an arrow shelf on your recurve you shouldn't need to cant it very much. If the arrow is swinging off the shelf as you draw the bow you are either pinching the nock between your fingers and twisting the string as you tighten your grip pulling it away from the bow or your just twisting the string counter clockwise as you draw. Try a deeper hook with the string placed in the first joint of your fingers and don't close your fingers around the string, this twists it, instead curl your fingers back to you and then place them on the string and pull straight back.

3.  My bow is approx. 40-45 pound draw probably closer to 45 since my draw lenth is about 29". What arrow weight would you recommend?
For hunting 10 grains per lbs draw of your bow is reccomended, for target practice you should try and get as close to that as you can. Proper FOC of the arrow is more important than overall weight in my opinion.

4. Finally, I shoot instinctive, ( no sights ), but I can't seem to find a comfortable anchor point. I am used to a low anchor shooting with a release but is very awkward with fingers and very inconsistant.  Where would be a good starting point for an anchor point? I want to shoot with the nock closer to my eye but I can't find a solid point.
You will have to experiment with shooting one over two under or three under. This means one finger above the arrow nock and two under, or all three under the nock. While I don't personally shoot three under because I find it awkward to cant my bow and aim some people prefer it because it moves the nock closer to your eye for sighting down the shaft and gap shooting. With one over two under the most common anchor point is the corner of your mouth, or the canine tooth. For me though I snap shoot, and my anchor is when my fingers brush my cheek just past the corner of my  
mouth before reaching the corner of my jaw. Since your draw length is 29" you may want to measure your arrow shaft from the groove of the nock down the shaft and at 29" make a mark with marker then place clothes pin or something on the arrow shaft at that mark that you'll be able to feel. Then draw the arrow back until you feel where whatever you put on the arrow touches the back of the bow and see where your fingers line up on your face. Whether your at the corner of your mouth, middle of your cheek, corner of your jaw ect. This should be your anchor point.

Any information on these issues would be greatly appreciated.   Thank You !
I hope that helps and that I'm not too far off the mark on any info I gave.
"Now take thy weapons, thy quiver of arrows & thy bow & go out to the field, & hunt some venison."

"I caught the caimans on a cane pole baited with hotdogs. I beat them to death with a stick and skinned them with my bare teeth." -dhaverstick

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 05:32:00 PM »
Just saw your second post.  Back tension is the name of the game BUT it will likely feel very different when you are holding a 45# bow compared to 10# on a C  bow.  As far as the release is concerned, you know from shooting a hinge that the shot should surprise you.  A finger release is no different.  You cannot think "shoot now" and have a good surprise release.  Apply back tension and wait for it just like the hinge.  Again some of this is addressed in my videos.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Arkansas Osage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 05:38:00 PM »
One more question,,,,,

I get back tension since i shot a compound with a back tension release. But I don't quite understand the release with fingers using back tension. Do you just relax your string hand while pulling with backtension or do you just use the back to pull until your hand just releases?  Please help with this one because I have a bad tendencie to just quickly jerk release, ( for lack of a better term ).
Personally I don't buy into back tension, never understood it. For me all the tension is in my arms, and I try to relax my back... sort of. When releasing dont try to pull your fingers away from the string, if you pull it away your not only moving your right hand with that jerk motion, but your left hand too will be affected and move in one direction of the other. Instead relax your shooting hand and let the string pull away from your fingers.
"Now take thy weapons, thy quiver of arrows & thy bow & go out to the field, & hunt some venison."

"I caught the caimans on a cane pole baited with hotdogs. I beat them to death with a stick and skinned them with my bare teeth." -dhaverstick

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 05:54:00 PM »
There is a wonderful 4 part series of DVD's called Masters of the Bare Bow, which I highly recommend to you. In volume 2, for example, Ken Beck has a section on tuning the bow.  You will get the perspectives of many excellent archers on shooting the bow in each volume.  I also recommend Arne's videos for developing the fundamentals of form.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline bowlvr614

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 08:45:00 PM »
Thanks so much for the input guy's. I really appreciate it very much. I absolutley love archery in every for but there is something special that I have discovered in shooting without pully's and aids. I just want to do the very best that I can. I do eventually want to hunt but that will not happen until I am proficient with shooting.

Offline Arkansas Osage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 12:18:00 AM »
Yes its much more satisfying to shoot a bow that does not do more than half the work for you. If I'm going to use 20th century technology that does the work for me, has sights, a trigger and even a possible scope, I'm just going to use a gun. Theres little skill or challenge in use a compound for me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©