Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Frustrated  (Read 847 times)

Offline High Desert Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Frustrated
« on: March 10, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »
For the last 4 months, I have been shooting my Martin-Hatfield Takedown Recurve.  I hadn't shot it in over year due to shoulder issues and deployments.  I am having anchor issues, I got to where I was able to keep 8 arrows in an 8" circle at 22 yards.  The problem is that I have grooved an anchor point that has shortened my draw length by over 2 inches.  This I attribute to shooting a compound just to keep flinging arrows.  I am trying to get back to an anchor point that is closer to where I feel it needs to be at full draw.  My bow is 60# @28, and my draw length was 27", that is where I'd like to be.  I want my arrows to actually penetrate the target.  Thanks for allowing me to rant.

Re: Frustrated
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 09:14:00 PM »
See if you can find some info in the Shooters Form forum about back tension, or even better, attend one of Rod Jenkins clinics if there is one in your area. If you can get the back tension correct, you will get the extra DL back, and more than likely shoot much better.

Bisch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 09:25:00 PM »
Thank you sir.

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 09:46:00 PM »
Do a search on the PowWow also for "Rod Jenkins clinic". I'm pretty sure I remember a thread about him having one in NM but not sure where or if it would be anywhere near you.

Bisch

Offline oldgoat

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 09:55:00 PM »
You are close to Tulasosa, ask around for an old man Garcia . He had a trad shop on the east side of town several, he was one of the best hunters  I ever talked to. Been awhile, hope he is still around. Good it will come with time,
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline oldgoat

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »
You are close to Tulasosa, ask around for an old man Garcia . He had a trad shop on the east side of town several, he was one of the best hunters  I ever talked to. Been awhile, hope he is still around. Good it will come with time,
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 10:52:00 PM »
Just do some blank or blind bale shooting using the anchor point you want, that will change it for you and probably improve your form at the same time.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 11:38:00 PM »
Mr. Garcia is still around,  not getting any younger, but still active in archery.  Have to see if I can find some reasonable priced hay or straw, tends to get expensive here in the desert.

Offline Retnuh Wob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 11:50:00 PM »
I suggest you get a decent used bow with a much lower draw weight.  The muscles you develop in drawing a compound are not the same as a trad bow. Go back to something like 45# and work on form. Then work your way up in 5# icrements. Decent used bows can be had for around $200 and if you sell them as you work up to the next weight you will only be out the shipping cost. 60# is a heavy bow for most people and if you are struggling to pull it back you are almost certain to develop bad habits that will be difficult to break later on.

Offline Retnuh Wob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 11:51:00 PM »
Sorry for the double post  "[dntthnk]"

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 11:57:00 PM »
No struggle pulling back, and I have been shooting this same bow since 1996.  Just took a year off, and lost my anchor point.  I have the same issue with a 45# Grizzly.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 11:59:00 PM »
I appreciate all of the inputs, helps  when you're frustrated.

Offline pruiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 01:24:00 AM »
the most important thing to remember, is enjoy shooting a bow. stop over thinking and shoot. if the bow your shooting no longer fits. change to what fits.  Have never done better in my shooting by try to bring my self to a bow.   if you cant bring this bow to full draw, get a bow you can bring to full draw.

its simple, stop making shooting hard
May you have interesting times
paul

66" Dywer original  long bow 55pds@28"
66" J.D. Berry Vipor  longbow  71pds@28"
60" JD Berry Renassaince, longbow 50pds @27"

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 02:03:00 AM »
I can draw it to my ear if need be, just having trouble with anchor.  Trying to find something consistent, just when I started getting good groups, I found that I was short drawing, trying to get the arrow more under my eye.  I just need to get my form back.  Tried repositioning my anchor this evening, still need some adjustments, but I'll get there.

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 08:59:00 AM »
HDH,

I just overcame this condition over the last couple weeks. For 2 years I struggled with this. I shot really well, but the occasional flyer and the potential penetration issues on short shots really drove me to buckle down.

I simply shot twice a day about 3 feet away from my targets indoors and outdoors. I would at the end of the day introduce a "distance" target for about 10 arrows to see how I was progressing. I just engrained, engrained, engrained the anchor point at a "blank bale" (rhinehart target in my basement). Although I still am passing through my anchor while shooting, I an consistently getting full draw, full alignment, and maximum energy out of my limbs.

It is quote a liberating feeling.

Check my recent post here. Moebow gives some great advice.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=007056

Keep at it. Blank Bale shooting is the ticket for this syndrome. You'll get control of it soon enough. Keep at it.

Matt

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 11:00:00 AM »
Some advice that's helped me is to figure back tension/alignment out first, then find where your anchor falls.  Film yourself shooting and then compare your form to moebow's and terry green's.  You can post the videos if you like, but you may not need to after you watch them yourself; some stuff will just jump out at you.

Offline gonefishing600

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2013, 10:11:00 PM »
And don't forget it's suppose to be fun!
JD Berry Argos 64" 48#&28"
Toelke Classic Whip 64" 46#@28"
Acs one piece 64" 46#@28"
BlackWidow PLX 66" 46#@28"

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 02:23:00 AM »
It's always fun!

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 11:02:00 AM »
A clicker has really helped me lately. Just adjust it to where ever you want your draw to be.
I set mine to click at 27" and I don't release the arrow until it clicks.
It's helped tighten my groups,too.(because of a consistent anchor point)
You can see the results in the Highlights section,
"Guide's night off, it was boaring".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©