Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Bow arm???  (Read 558 times)

Offline trad_in_cali

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow arm???
« on: March 14, 2013, 03:45:00 PM »
Hello, I just moved from a metal Titan to shooting a Hill-style JD Berry Vixen. I'm noticing many left/right shots, while elvation is just right.
I've always kept my bow arm as relaxed as possible and holding 3-4 seconds before expanding and releasing, but with the Hill weighing in at 15oz. I notice that my bow arm moves.
I see many (Rick Welch) advocate for a solid bow arm, but if I push from my hand, it tenses up and I torque.
Now I'm "pointing' more from the wrist.
Suggestions?
Thanks!

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow arm???
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »
I believe you may be mistaken about Rick Welch.  When I took his class, he advocated a slightly bent bow arm. In his class and DVD's he states that one cause of left misses is shooting with a straight bow arm.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline trad_in_cali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »
Hey McDave, I meant solid as in steady, not straight. Sorry for the confusion. I remember well him being clear as to not overextend, as the result is to push left.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »
"I just moved..."  How long have you been shooting your Vixen?  Yes, the lighter mass weight of the  bow might take some time getting used to but also be sure your head is in the same position each shot and that your string hand is hitting the same references each shot.

Left and rights (horizontal spread) is nearly always inconsistent form.  Give it some time.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline trad_in_cali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 04:22:00 PM »
I've been shooting it 2 weeks. I think I've been finding the right alignment, since it's cut from center so differently.
Yesterday I shot the Titan for a round, and I was spot on to 40 yards, consistent as ever.
I'll give it time for alignment to emerge.

Thanks!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©