Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Finger placement (3 under, split)  (Read 626 times)

Offline Devo

• Trad Bowhunter
Finger placement (3 under, split)
« on: March 17, 2013, 02:55:00 PM »
Hello all. Newbie question here. I've been reading about, for lack of better term, finger placement as far as drawing the string. It sounds like the common techniques are three finger under arrow (3U?) or index above nock two under (split?).

I've been shooting with my index and bird above the nock, ring finger and pinkie below. I had assumed this was "split" though it seems like I'm mistaken. I've had decent results so far but would love to trim down that learning curve as much as possible.

So to get to my question is my shooting style "wrong" where proper technique, accuracy, and physics are concerned? It sounds like split and 3U are pretty much the norm amongst many of the tradgang community members and the posts I've read through. Thanks for any advice!!

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Finger placement (3 under, split)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 03:13:00 PM »
Devo,

Yes, split finger is the index finger above the nock and the middle and ring finger below.  Many will have you think that there is some difference between spit and 3 under in that you get a better release with one or the other.  Not really true in my opinion.  Split and three under are aiming accommodations, and should have nothing to do with the release itself.

What works for you will work for you it is really that simple.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Devo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 07:43:00 PM »
Thanks Arne. So in your opinion I'm not losing anything by having two fingers above the nock? I've tried shooting both 3 under and split today. Both seem ok, just field different from what I've been doing.

From the looks of your profile photo you shoot split. Does your pinky come into play at all? The major disadvantage to the way I've been shooting seems to be that my pinky finger is much shorter than the other three and my hand is clenched a bit more than the other methods I've tried.

Thanks again for your reply.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 08:38:00 PM »
Devo,  As a coach I would NEVER recommend two fingers above the nock!  Index finger over the nock, middle and ring fingers below and the little finger not on the string at all. OR, all three under the nock with the index finger just barely touching the nock.

If you haven't seen it, I have a video on You Tube, go there and do a search for TheMoebow 1 and watch the "release tips" video.  See if that helps.

I'll add that just "I've tried shooting both 3 under and split today." is NOT enough.  IF you are serious about this, you must work on a technique for a couple months before you decide to use or discard it.  "Trying it today" will not tell you ANYTHING!

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Devo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 09:31:00 PM »
Thanks Arne. Very informative video! Nicely done. I do appreciate the advice. Split seems to be closer to what I have been doing and feels better on the fingers so I think I'll go with that for now. Today was really the first time I've tried either 3U or split so I'm not giving up on anything yet!

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 10:09:00 AM »
Just a little plug for what works best for me...at least give two fingers under a try...I have worked up to shooting bows in the low 60 pound draw weight range that way...just takes one more variable (that third finger) out of the equation...I would shoot one finger under if I could...I also have some bows that shoot better for me split finger so that is how I shoot them

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©