Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: 5 month after working on my release  (Read 979 times)

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
5 month after working on my release
« on: March 23, 2013, 09:09:00 AM »
Ok,
so here is an updated video to my release.  I have to find ways to film myself so quality is not the best but I'm hoping this is the best angle for it.  I am OPEN to all form ideas but the release is what I am focusing on the most.

I still see ALOT of room for improvement, but at least i am seeing  more consistency. This video has proved to me that I have losing my hair and gaining weight to a science but I feel I am to the point now that I need someone next to me to help me see where I am faltering on my release.

James at JD Berry is trying to get me to "relax the bicep" not just my fingers, and in Byron Fergusons book he talks about relaxing the "whole release side" of the body so these little concepts are what I am trying to focus on. I have also found that If i use a static type release I am drawing to 26 1/4" but with proper back tension and drawing thru the release I am releasing at 26 1/2". WHICH proves to me the importance of "Pulling thru the release"

Any and all help is appreciated.

JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 5 month after working on my release
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 04:10:00 PM »
Anyone see anything in my release to help

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 06:44:00 PM »
Brian,

Been out of town for a bit but you are looking pretty good.  Your string hand is "popping" down to about your collar bone.  Ideally it should be behind your ear.  The motion you  have suggests that you are not pulling through the shot with your back but rather with your arm and upper shoulder.

You do look to be pretty consistent so this might work for you but IF you can effect the shot more with your back and less with your arm it might work still better for you.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Str8Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 11:48:00 PM »
Watched your vid a few times. The main thing which comes to mind is it looks like you stop the shot at the release instead of having a conclusive follow through as the end point. The follow through should be the continuation of the forces during the shot. When the shot is gone the hand should come back naturally to a final point. It doesn't have to be the shoulder, it can be to the ear, back of the neck or even a very short rearward motion along the cheek.

One other small thing which I think contributes to the hand popping down to the collarbone as Moebow points out is it looks like your bow arm shoulder is creeping up a little. It could be the angle of the camera but if it rides up it can cause a little imbalance in the shoulders and contribute to a jerky release.

I point this stuff out because, Lord knows, I went through the same thing. I could post some bad video footage of my old release compared to now! But, find a definitive conclusion to the shot, get the lines of force balanced and even and just let the shot happen.

Chris

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 09:50:00 AM »
Arne and Chris,
Thank you.  For some reason I am too the point where I am at a wall for my understanding of back tension and the follow thru or the "continuation of the forces" as Chris stated.  
   In my previous video from November I could clearly see the hand popping away from my face and all over, and I could also see the arrow creeping forward.  So what I have been trying to work on is at anchor "pulling thru" the release as to eliminate that creeping.  I THINK I am doing that fine now (most, not always). So now I am started to focus on trying to get that effortless type feeling in the release hand floating back, but alas as it is plainly obvious in my video it pops down now.  

Is there an exercise or training protocol I could use to help with that?  I ask because mentally I am thinking about pulling thru, its the execution that I am lacking?  The only "Coach" around here is a fantastic shot, and has been a top ranked shooter from the late 70s, but he tends to focus on other aspects and tells me that my release and back tension is fine, but there has been a lot of advancements in shooting since his time.  Im just looking for something to practice.  Thank you

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 09:58:00 AM »
Also, I have Byron Fergusons book "Become the Arrow" and his video Barebow 101. And in it he states that the anchor should be consistent (got it)  and one you are at anchor do not move off of but but to "continue to pull thru the shot", continue pulling your draw arm elbow back in line with the target and then "relax the back of the hand" (whole release side of body is how he also puts it)  and the release hand should naturally come back in line.  

I watch that part of the video ( 36-38 min mark) a lot to pick up the pointers.  Im wondering if the form master would help me "feel" the back muscles?

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 10:59:00 AM »
Brian,

Again one of these things easier to "get" in person than by typed words.  Byron has it right though,  the "front" of your body gets as relaxed as possible.  For me, it kind of feels like I am leaning my back against a wall (pressing my back against a wall) and that allows me to relax the front.

The form master might help, as you release with the FM on, think "resist the strap."  Don't allow the string to pull your string arm forward at all -- jam your elbow back into it.

Sure wish we lived closer, it's not as hard as it sounds.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 07:07:00 PM »
I sure wish we did too Arne. Or if I had some work up that way! I have a feeling once I "get it" I'm going to think to myself, wow that wasn't that hard. But until then it's like the "Da Vinci Code"

Offline Str8Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 07:14:00 PM »
A good follow through is kind of a directed motion upon release. At full draw you are expending energy to maintain full draw without collapsing. When you trigger the shot mentally you increase that tension while relaxing the fingers. When this happens that force has to go somewhere. Optimally the bow will move forward and the string hand will continue back but learning this motion doesn't come as easily for everyone. So, if you focus on directing your hand to a certain point it will become second nature. I used to have a fly away, slap yo' mamma release. I had the same problem you're dealing with now. I had no trouble holding at full draw without collapsing but from there I didn't do anything so my release and follow through was random. Part of getting over that for me was focusing on feeling the fingers slide along my cheek and end on the back of my neck at release. It gave me a single thing to focus on and helped give my follow through a direction.

You ask about training... there are a few simple things you can do to help learn pulling with the back and adding direction to your follow through.

A form master is a neat tool if you want to buy or build one. If not you can learn the feel of pulling with the back with the help of a partner. Have someone stand behind you. Without a bow, assume a pre-draw position. Have them place their hand on the back of your elbow. While they resist make the drawing motion. Because you aren't holding anything you shouldn't have any tension in your forearm or bicep. If you do figure out how to relax them. You should feel the large muscles of the back moving your elbow and your draw side shoulder blade moveing down and towards the spine. Once in a full draw position have the person move your hand from the point of the elbow a little back towards the tricep. They can push so the force is going out towards your front. Resist that and pull the elbow back in a "J" motion behind your head. This will help you feel the back muscles and the motion that is talked about alot for back tension.

Once you have a feel for that transfer it to drawing a bow and work to achieve the same feel. If you find muscles in your shoulders, forearms, fingers, etc tightening up work on relaxing them and only keeping tension in the back.

You can also do dummy drills with no bow to teach the follow through motion. Just mimic a full draw anchor position and imitate the release you want. I prefer to think of the motion of my release hand as coming up slightly just behind my ear and letting it slide along the face.

Last thing, use your camera diligently. In collegiate track I threw hammer. Our coach used a camera frequently and it taught me a lesson. Many times what you think and feel happening isn't really what is going on. The camera doesn't lie and will show you. If the tactic your using doesn't show a result after a little time try something different. I don't blank bail like many folks do. I do pretty much any and all form work at close range while trying to hit dots and filming all my shots. It keeps me honest.

Hope that helps some.

Chris

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 07:57:00 PM »
Chris,
WOW thanks for that write up bud.  Ill convince my wife to help me out here.  And its funny you bring up the feeling your fingers slide across your face statement, because today while working on my release that is one of the things I was doing.  I also found out that the arrows I have for the Misty Dawn, when proper back tension is used, that feathers just rest under my nose at full BT and draw, it is serving well as a draw check.  
Thanks .  Ill update with  a new video after improvements have been made.

Online Ajooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 05:31:00 AM »
One thing I noticed and I don't think anybody else commentwd on was your head position before.and after the shot.  It seems that you are peaking (picking your head up) upon release.  I know for me when I do this I get left arrows because by pulling my head up and slightly back my bow arm usually follows.  I'm a right handed shooter as well.  Your form looks very consistant and I'm sure your follow thru will come around when you start using your back a.little more.  Again...I'm no expert jusy my two cents.  Well maybe one and a half   :knothead:  

Good luck and keep having fun,
Aarin

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 09:15:00 AM »
Hi Brian, you're looking darned good overall.  If your  arrows are hitting well then be careful about making many/big changes (the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' thing).  Sometimes even little tweaks can bite you.  Still, it's fun playing around the edges.

At first glance I'd second Ajooter's comment about moving your head at release...it's a very slight movement but your head line does pull away to the left a little, which I suppose might affect your bow arm or alignment.  But, comparing this most recent video with your past Wesley video shows that the slight head movement is consistent from shot to shot...so it might just be part of your natural style.  Again, the important thing is where your arrows hit, not copying what someone else finds to be effective.  We're all built different...thank gawd.

PS  Found a nice home for the Wesley (hated selling that one), but picked up a nice little Dwyer Original (about 7 pounds lighter) that feels great to draw, and it drives tacks.  My shoulder is smiling.

Stay well, bud.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 11:34:00 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.  I think things are settled in to where they are going to be.  I worked out some of the follow thru stuff and as for now I'm doing pretty good overall.

Tony, i thought about picking that one back up from you. She was a good shooter.  I have heard great things about those Dwyers, have fun with it and send me some pics!!!! i like drooling over bows.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 12:32:00 PM »
The Dwyer is used (can't afford new bows anymore) so it's not 'sparkly' for looks, but the condition is good and with a new D97 string it sure does shoot like new.  The 53# (a 66" bow) feels more like 50#, which is around where I need to be for bow weight now.  

Glad your form is falling in place for you, Brian.  Spring is here, time to fling a few at the 3-D shoots!

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 12:19:00 PM »
Looks good to me how are your doing on 3d shoots?you know the saying the proof is in the pudding. A clicker and formaster are helpfull tools. I read somewhere about a well known archer who I will not name who pulls past his anchor and then settles forward into his anchor holds and releases and has scored high on 3d and taken a lot of game.
Arrow_Flynn

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2013, 07:48:00 PM »
Arrow, my 3D scored are pretty good. Averaging about an 8.2 on 40 3d targets. Took 2nd out of about 20-22 longbow shooters at the three I shot at.  My shooting seems decent for me, just looking for ways to improve

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2013, 01:23:00 AM »
I would try the formaster it may help with back tension if you feel you need work on that part of your form.
Arrow_Flynn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©