Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Psychotrigger for glove?  (Read 736 times)

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
Psychotrigger for glove?
« on: March 31, 2013, 08:53:00 PM »
I would like to find a trigger that will work with a glove. I saw some for tabs but not for a glove. Anybody have any ideas?

Mike
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Psychotrigger for glove?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 09:12:00 PM »
Mike,

Not sure what you're asking.  I shoot with a lgove, but have no idea what a psychotrigger is?
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »
I was reading about cures for target panic and found a great thread on target panic reality check - suggested using a psycho trigger.  A clicker is an example.  Some people made one on their tabs.  I would like something on a glove or ???.  Dont want to put a clicker on all my bows.

Mike
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 12:55:00 PM »
In reading Joel's posts, the difference between Joel's concept of a psychotrigger and a traditional clicker is that a traditional clicker is triggered when the bow is drawn to a certain point, which hopefully corresponds to the archer's full draw, whereas Joel's psychotrigger is triggered independently of drawing the bow.

One of the problems some people have reported with Joel's psychotrigger is that they can creep when using it, because there is nothing physically that stops them from activating the trigger while losing back tension, like there would be with a traditional clicker.  While this is true, I think this could be a blessing in disguise, because it forces a person to concentrate on drawing the bow to the point where everything is lined up, and to be aware of maintaining back tension while activating the trigger. When a person learns to be aware of what his body is doing, I believe he is ahead of someone who just pulls until the clicker clicks without that awareness.

Since you, and not the clicker, determine when you are in proper alignment and ready to start the shot activation, the clicker can really be anything you want it to be, and it shouldn't matter if you're using a tab or a glove. One example given was moving your fingernail over a ridge on the riser, which could be done by anyone as long as they're not wearing a glove on their bow hand. I suppose you could have a clicker in your boot and set it off with your toe, if you wanted to.  I prefer to stay away from things having to do with extra hand or finger movements, because I have a tendency to torque the bow and want to focus on keeping my hands and fingers relaxed.

I hope I'm interpreting Joel's ideas correctly, and hope he will correct me if I'm not.  The main reason I would even presume to interpret them is that if my interpretation needs correction, hopefully we will all learn from it.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 01:24:00 PM »
One thing that I have been working on that seems to be similar to a psycho trigger is with my bow arm.  I'm all set with my string hand, back tension etc., at the last second before release, extend my bow arm toward the target a miniscule amount that sets off my release.  It's such a tiny movement that I think it may be only tensioning a specific muscle in my bow shoulder.  What it does, beyond triggering my release, is eliminate much of the bow torque that I have seen in the past.  Almost immediately my groups started to shrink and arrow flight became more consistent.  

YMMV
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »
i talked to joel and will be starting with a clicker.  sounds like the best place to start and i am not opposed to using one.

mike
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 07:37:00 PM »
Mike, I am in the  same boat you are in. I have tried the sear and feather to nose but my panic is really bad. With the clicker for some reason it is much easier. I think after using the clicker for  a while and you get over the panic you will be able to diagnose your shot better and start to experiment with different methods until you find something that works for you. Just remember to do as Joel say's and concentrate on the movement to get your clicker to go off and not on the click itself.

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 06:44:00 AM »
order the clicker last night and will get started in a couple days.  Joel is going to be a great help! actually wants we to call him and have him on the phone when i start with the clicker. for the first time in a long time i actually think i am going to beat this thing!!
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Mooreski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 01:05:00 PM »
I spoke to Joel on the phone a couple of weeks ago. I actually stripped my arrows and re fletched them further back so that it would contact my nose at the proper draw with me shooting 3 under. It has improved my accuracy greatly, and I have less flyers than I use to. The only thing I'm thinking of changing is going to shield cut rather than parabolic for a little easier "feel" of the feather, but it's also working as is so I may leave it be. It has been night and day in my form and like I said, my accuracy.   :thumbsup:
"You can't build a reputation on what you are GOING to do." - Henry Ford

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 08:10:00 PM »
I thought about that one too.  Would save me from setting up clickers for every bow.
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 09:23:00 PM »
It does and it doesn't. Touching the feather to the nose is a good draw check; I use it myself. However, you can touch the feather to your nose and still short-draw the bow, if you droop your head, don't get good alignment with your bow arm and shoulder, or don't keep your bow arm shoulder down.  It also doesn't help you to pull with your back muscles rather than your arm muscles. There's no substitute for learning to be aware of your body, so that you get into the alignment you need naturally, without "trying."
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Mooreski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 11:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by McDave:
It does and it doesn't. Touching the feather to the nose is a good draw check; I use it myself. However, you can touch the feather to your nose and still short-draw the bow, if you droop your head, don't get good alignment with your bow arm and shoulder, or don't keep your bow arm shoulder down.  It also doesn't help you to pull with your back muscles rather than your arm muscles. There's no substitute for learning to be aware of your body, so that you get into the alignment you need naturally, without "trying."
Excellent points McDave. What I have done to help remedy that, is I get my form perfect, touch the feather to my nose and align everything. Then I "creep" the feather forward slightly and keep everything else still as I start my pull back using BT. Then, when the feather touches my nose, it's aligned perfectly and the shot goes.
Keep in mind though, I'm new to Traditional archery. Therefore, my method may not be the most desireable one, but all I can say is it is working for me at the moment and I am kind of afraid to change it lol. I just hope it keeps working.  :pray:
"You can't build a reputation on what you are GOING to do." - Henry Ford

Offline bucksakemmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 01:18:00 PM »
I spent a day with Joel last week and we tried several methods and I/we settled on a clicker. I had two bows with me and we clicked both, now that I am home and have been shooting all I can say is why did I wait so long to do some thing about panic.
I now can work on the perfect shoot...my shot is way more accurate... even out to 40 yards...I have learned that if the shot is not setup perfect to let down with out shooting...Joel does a great job of teaching you how to control every shot..his system works try it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©