Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Just back from Rick Welch Class  (Read 1457 times)

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
Just back from Rick Welch Class
« on: April 03, 2013, 08:51:00 AM »
All I have to say is that I was a skeptic before I went.  I mean I have been shooting trad for several decades and thought I had heard it all and seen it all.  I did not think my shooting would actually improve all that much.  All I can say is that I was wrong and I am now a believer..... what I go the moist from his class is that I now know exactly how to tune up my bow/arrows and when I make a bad shot I know why and how to correct it.  I highly recommend his class.  My email is DaveT1963@ymail for anyone that has questions or wants more info.  Go to his class if you are frustrated with tuning and/or desire to be a better shot.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Just back from Rick Welch Class
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 08:57:00 AM »
I glad you had a good time and that you came away with some added know how. We must never stop trying to be come better bowhunters. I would like to try his class at some point.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 10:53:00 AM »
How did you change your anchor?

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 12:36:00 PM »
Dave ,
For someone of your shooting quality to saw this, I'll take that as good as gold.  I would like to make it sometime. Did you shoot your vixen?
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 01:36:00 PM »
Yes I shot my Vixen but had to use a lighter weight stock bow at the end of the day (you shoot a lot).  Not sure my shooting quality is all that but I managed to slip a few through the vitals along the way :-)

Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 03:24:00 PM »
Dave,

I'm a relative newby to trad archery (since Jan. 2011), but took 2-day class from Rick last Summer in Arkansas and learned more in the first 15 minutes than I had in the previous 9 months of asking questions, reading threads, etc.

Good training early (or late) is always good!

Bob C
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 09:41:00 PM »
How much does he charge if you go to his school?  I just looked at his website but it only said a $250 deposit.

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 09:52:00 PM »
When I went in 2011 I think the class was $500, and well worth it.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 02:15:00 AM »
A shooting bud of mine attended Mr.Welch's class last summer.

>>>>>>>>>>What a difference<<<<<<<<<<
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 06:47:00 AM »
Glad to here you thought it was worth it. Hope Rick's doing good these days.
db
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 08:03:00 AM »
the class was 600 (200 deposit). Rick is the real deal and his shooting speaks for itself.  I tried all kinds of aiming/shooting styles and all have weak points.... what I like about Ricks style is that it is repeatable and teachable.  While I may never get to the level Rick is, I know that with proper practice what he has taught me is making me a better shot.

Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 10:38:00 PM »
Does her make you change to a static release if your a dynamic release? I'm willing to change a lot but I think I'd have a really hard time change to a static release.
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 10:50:00 PM »
I guess $500-$600 is not too bad, it about max of what I can pay though..  I may look into doing it by this time next year.  I can shoot pretty good.  My problem is I am a solo shooter.  I do not know anyone else that shoots trad.  Being self taught I am sure I could learn a lot.  When you shoot by yourself the learning curve is real slow.  One weekend in class could theoretically speed my learning curve up by years.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 10:51:00 PM »
I don't think Rick cares if you have a dynamic release or a static release. What he cares about is that you don't collapse and that you learn to hold for 2 seconds before release.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 11:14:00 PM »
Awesome! Thanks for the info McDave!
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2013, 05:44:00 PM »
Can some describe his anchor,

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2013, 06:52:00 PM »
Rick uses a double anchor, which is his thumb knuckle brushing his earlobe and the back of the cock feather touching his nose.  The thumb knuckle is cocked like you were cocking a revolver.  The feathers on the arrow are mounted such that the back of the cock feather will touch your nose at full draw, which provides a draw-check, of sorts.  For example, on my arrows, the feathers are mounted such that the distance between the quill and the valley of the nock is 2".  You will have to experiment to get the right distance.  Don't be too quick to fletch a lot of arrows, because it is likely that after you shoot for a while, you will decide that you need to move the feather a little forward or backward from the position you first chose.  The feathers that seem to work best with this are left wing with shield cut.  This double anchor doesn't work for everyone, because people's faces are different, so if you want to use it, mount the feathers to touch your nose and experiment around with the second part of the double anchor until you find something that works.

After using this for a while, I took a class from Rod Jenkins that increased my expansion a little, and I found out that my orignial feather position was cramping me.  By then I had fletched a lot of arrows, and didn't want to change the feather position, so I just moved my anchor under my nose rather than on it, which works just as well and gives me slightly more draw length.  Byron Ferguson uses this under the nose anchor, which you can see in the illustrations in his book.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2013, 07:52:00 PM »
If is not to much to ask, could you posts pic, what the thumb cocked looks like. I am picking up his method from his videos, but the anchor is giving me problems.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2013, 12:02:00 PM »
It's difficult to get the right angle to show this in a photo, so I made a sketch.  As I said, people's earlobes and noses are not all in the same relative positions, so if you have to contort your face or put your head in an unnatural position to get this, it would be better to just use the nose anchor and find a different anchor on your face or jawbone for your thumb knuckle.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 03:49:00 PM »
McDave, Thank you for the excellent description and the sketch....I'm frustrated with my shooting and when I get done marrying off 3 daughters I'm heading to Ark. for Rick's school.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©