Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Just back from Rick Welch Class  (Read 1458 times)

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Just back from Rick Welch Class
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2013, 06:08:00 PM »
Hey thanks, I been trying that a anchor, gonna take some reps to get used to it.

Offline DTD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2013, 07:16:00 PM »
McDave,

Question about your illustration above. It shows the nose touching the feather quill where it contacts the arrow. I was assuming from his video, that your nose touched the end of the feather. Can you please clarify for me?

Thanks,

Doug

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2013, 07:54:00 PM »
I took Rick's class last September.  On me personally, the tip of the shield fleatching touches the end of my nose.  I have actually developed into a 3-point anchor.  Thumb knuckle in lobe of ear, end of thunb into jaw and nose to fletching.

Very consistant, and very accurate!

I would recommend Rick's class to anyone - new to shooting or an experienced shooter, to improve their technique!
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2013, 07:57:00 PM »
Not being a very good artist, you'll have to cut me a little slack.

Anyway, the nose is contacting the back of the cock feather that you can't see, that is pointing at a 90 degree angle away from the bow.  It is behind the arrow shaft, in my sketch. The feather you can see is one of the hen feathers. The nice thing about a shield cut is that it seems designed to fit the shape of a nose (some noses, anyway).  If you get your nose too close to the quill, you'll hit it with the bowstring. If it is too far out on the feather, your eye won't be over the arrow.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2013, 09:27:00 PM »
I almost need a bow 5 pound lighter, I draw a inch further with that anchor.

I picked up a lot from his video, the instinctive part, training my brain and bow arm, and getting my bow to shot where I look, the hold and the other tid bits.

But gonna take soe worker on the anchor.

Offline Jim C

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2013, 12:44:00 PM »
I attended Rick's course last July. I was averaging 270 at the 40 target 3D course I go to prior to the class. Afterward, my scores improved to the 320 range. I've only made 1 shoot this year and my score was 346. 3 of the shots I took were from the 35 yard stake as the traditional stake seemed too close. It was a great investment. I was self taught and struggling. If I hit a slump I back off, watch his DVD and progress. His course gave me the tools I need, now I just have to sharpen them.

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2013, 11:01:00 AM »
How much draw lenght did you guys pick up, I just recovered from shoulder surgery and the thumb knucle on the lobe is creating more poundage.

Offline Jim C

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2013, 12:30:00 AM »
Mine didn't change, still at 29". Rick adjusted the fletching on my arrow by moving it about 1/3-1/2" away from the the nock. I use to anchor with my index finger in the corner of my mouth, shooting 3 under. I switched to anchoring with my middle finger at the corner of my mouth, thumb knuckle at my earlobe and now the back edge of the feather touches the tip of my nose. Rick fletched my first arrow w/ a left wing, shield cut feather. He used a Helical Jig. "IMPORTANT" if you're a left hand shooter, use right wing feathers, left wing for a right hand shooter. This causes the feather to naturally contact your nose. Now I have 3 anchor points.

I could write for hours but it's best to experience it first hand. He is a true instinctive shooter whose motto is "How far ... Don't know, don't care.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2013, 07:05:00 AM »
Does Rick sell his DVD or do you get it when you take the course.
T ZZZZ

Offline Jim C

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2013, 08:10:00 AM »
He sells them. I bought the volume 3 video before I attended the course. It allowed me to start working on his method of shooting (stance, anchor, feather placement, philosophy) before I went to the course. The good thing about that was no wasted time trying to adjust to a new style. Rick fine tuned what I was doing but I had committed quite a bit to ingrained habit prior to attending. Just google Rick Welch and select the Dakota Bows online store. The DVD's no replacement for the course but it does help and I watch it regularly to reinforce what was learned. Also, Traditional Bowhunter magazine did an article on Rick last year. I can't find the copy but I believe it would have been the Feb/Mar issue. It was what sold me on going to his school. If money permits, I'll go again in the future.

Offline Keith Langford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2013, 04:43:00 PM »
I just got back Wednesday from Rick's course and it wasa great 2 days, I also had gotten the dvd's well before I went and ingrained the form at the house. We just tweaked it and now I am shooting lights out. Rick also changed my arrows to Victory VAP and wow what a differance, tune easy, fly great and smoking fast. I highly reccomend the arrows and the course with Rick
John 3:16

Online South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2013, 05:38:00 PM »
Has anybody attended that has had a Bad case of TP and came away  able to overcome it?  I know it a shooting course to improve basic form etc... but has anybody ever been helped as for TP?
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline ursusmajor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2013, 06:00:00 PM »
Keith I agree. I went in feb. It was best $$ on archery. And the VAPs r awesome.

John, I never had TP but Rick and I discussed it. I believe he is your man.

Offline Jim C

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2013, 06:26:00 PM »
Rick was being pestered by a local about having target panic. He wanted Rick to fix the problem. Rick said it would be no problem, all he had to do was take his course. If you shoot 3 under or split finger, glove or tab (Rick even said with your teeth), he can teach you. He's not bragging, he can back what he says. If you're like me, you'll spend a couple hundred or more on non essential things throughout the year. Suck it up and go if you can. Call me at 765-414-1856 if you have any other questions. Also, Rick got me using the VAPs and they're great for hunting or target. I've got a couple dozen Goldtips and Eastons collecting dust now.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©