Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Bow cant and string slap  (Read 741 times)

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow cant and string slap
« on: April 05, 2013, 12:37:00 AM »
I really enjoy shooting my bow canted but it slaps the heck out of me a lot of times. When I shoot it vertically it rarely happends and I can tell my release was poor wehn it does. Bow is a 64 inch recurve braced at 7. I can go as high as a 9 inch height. Any tips or suggestions.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow cant and string slap
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 01:19:00 AM »
I have about a 30 inch draw length which gives me a 21 inch power stroke with a bow braced to 9 inches...I tend to brace my bows (I think I have about 15 right now) high for that reason...a couple of my bows are pretty close to the 9 inch mark...brace 'em high I say...and see if that helps

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline petalumapete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 01:31:00 AM »
you might look at how you hold the bow to see if maybe you are torquing the riser.
kind of sounds like that might be the problem.
I'm no expert but I normally adjust the brace height to find the spot that has the least hand shock and is the quietest shot.
In my opinion the brace height has nothing to do with arm slap.
Big Foot Sasquatch Recurve
64" 57#@ 27.5
Big Foot Flat Liner Long Bow
64" 49#@

Offline Arkansas Osage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 04:33:00 AM »
Brace height doesnt matter, its all in your grip and elbow positioning. Roll your elbow out, and lay the bow against the muscle of your thumb. If nothing else wear an arm guard.
"Now take thy weapons, thy quiver of arrows & thy bow & go out to the field, & hunt some venison."

"I caught the caimans on a cane pole baited with hotdogs. I beat them to death with a stick and skinned them with my bare teeth." -dhaverstick

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 08:43:00 AM »
This might belong in pow-wow?

Brace height can make a difference, but most guys set brace height in order to tune the bow, not to avoid string slap.   Ever heard a wheelie guy complain about string slap?  It almost never happens with compounds because the brace heights are much higher than they are on most trad bows.
If you can raise the brace height w/o sacrificing tune it's worth looking into imo.

That said, usually grip is the problem.  Try rotating the heal of your bow-hand away from the riser a bit.  Your elbow will rotate a bit with it and that may be all you need.

Offline Arkansas Osage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 08:50:00 AM »
Originally posted by gringol:
... usually grip is the problem.  Try rotating the heal of your bow-hand away from the riser a bit.  Your elbow will rotate a bit with it and that may be all you need.
QFT.
"Now take thy weapons, thy quiver of arrows & thy bow & go out to the field, & hunt some venison."

"I caught the caimans on a cane pole baited with hotdogs. I beat them to death with a stick and skinned them with my bare teeth." -dhaverstick

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 11:47:00 AM »
Looks like I need to check the mirror. My grip when bow is vertical is good maybe I am altering it slightly when canted.

Offline Arkansas Osage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »
Its most likely that when your vertical you hold your elbow out, and when you cant the bow over you straighten your elbow out, pulling it closer in to alligning with the string and riser. Really try to not straigten your arm out when its canted and roll that elbow out.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 12:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by Arkansas Osage:
Brace height doesnt matter, its all in your grip and elbow positioning. Roll your elbow out, and lay the bow against the muscle of your thumb. If nothin
g else wear an arm guard.
Yep.

I never wear an armguard.  Rotate that elbow out and you are good to go.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Arkansas Osage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 02:22:00 AM »
Originally posted by NBK:

Originally posted by Arkansas Osage:
Brace height doesnt matter, its all in your grip and elbow positioning. Roll your elbow out, and lay the bow against the muscle of your thumb. If nothin
g else wear an arm guard.
Yep.

I never wear an armguard.  Rotate that elbow out and you are good to go. [/b]
I don't wear an armguard with bows that have brace heights of 7.5+ but on bows, like my osage selfbow that has a brace height of 5.5" you bet your sweet bippy I wear an arm guard, and you would too. It doesn't matter how you hold, grip, or position your elbow with that brace height, its gonna gitchya right above the wrist.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 02:15:00 PM »
His brace is 7.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©