3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Interest in a cheap "wilderness" deer hunt?  (Read 1275 times)

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
Interest in a cheap "wilderness" deer hunt?
« on: November 22, 2007, 09:38:00 AM »
I'm wondering if there are any trad guys or gals out there interested in a low cost wilderness type whitetail hunt? Here in northern Michigan, out in Lake Michigan about 13 miles is 15,000 acre Manitou island owned by the National Park Service. It's about 8 miles long and 4 miles wide and the park service has a no limit buck or doe bowhunt in October to anyone willing to pay the $25.00 tag fee. They also offer a rifle hunt in November. There is a ferry that takes hunters to the island and that cost is $20.00 so for $45.00 and your cost of getting to the dock in Leland MI and food for a week you're hunting an area without ATV's, a guy in every tree, or "Keep Out" signs posted every ten feet. In 2006 2 bow hunters and 6 rifle hunters bought tags and a few deer killed (never harvested!). Pressure is very lite and most guys seldom go more then a half mile from the dock. It's a hard hunt and not for the guy that likes to be fully guided. You fend for yourself here. Once the ferry drops you off, you're there til it comes back in 5 days. If the weather is bad it might be back in 6 days or 7.

The island itself used to be poplulated up until the 60's with a few farmers and loggers. Now there are a few old houses and buildings in the village and an old barn here and there in the middle of the island but no one lives there. A park ranger will be there during the hunt to check deer and emergencies (the park service keeps a house there). You can set up a camp anywhere on the island but fires are only permitted in the village campground (6 camp spots hacked out of a thornapple patch). The nice thing about this campground is it's close 1/4 mile maybe)to the dock that way a few extra things can be hauled to a spot at the campground to make a main camp and then backpack out to other spots on the island for overnights.

There are lots of deer here but this is one big woods and hard to hunt. No food plots, corn fields or other bait pile type hunting and trail sitting or spot and stalking will take work. You'll be proud of yourself for taking a deer here. There is a large lake in the center of the island and that seems to have the highest deer activity. That lake is also full of real nice Smallmouth bass, catch and release only. There are coyotes, fox, and other small game open to hunting but it's the squirrels and rabbits that are everywhere that could use a little thinning out. A Michigan small game tag would is needed.

What do you think?
lll

Offline Voodoofire1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Interest in a cheap "wilderness" deer hunt?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 09:44:00 AM »
Sounds like something to check further into, it would make for a heck of a get together for some industrious TGer's, Thanks for sharing!..Steve
True happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 09:47:00 AM »
CJ,

I have always wanted to try that--Fox too, but I am booked for next fall already with a sure Iowa tag and not enough vacation now.  Hope you get a lot of takers.

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 09:51:00 AM »
I spent a week scouting in September and thought it would be prefect for a good group of guys to hunt and BS for a week.
lll

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 09:59:00 AM »
The bad thing about Fox Isand is it's half privitely owned and posted. The guy has food plots on his half of the island to get the deer traffic. Plus, there is no place on the public end of the island to dock. You need a small boat or raft from the ferry.
lll

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 10:16:00 AM »
CJ, that looks like a heck of a hunt. Its a long way up to that end of the UP, yup that's for sure. But it looks like a great place and a chance to find some real wilderness quiet and peace, not to mention a buck as old as the ages with mossy horns. I would suggest that you set up some dates for 2009, make a plan and invite the T Gang. Sure at least some die hards would want in and it might become another annual hunt. Maybe even do it in 08 with a few and get it started. Good luck and keep me posted, I'm just avid enough to consider it.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 10:18:00 AM »
Which reminds me, what's the non res situation with this hunt and deer license?

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 10:22:00 AM »
What are the dates in October, would we be hunting with you?

I'm going on a hunt in October 3-8 in the U. P., so I could work it out if it was different dates I'll have to take more time off.  If you're looking for someone to go, I would be willing to try and work it out.  I have mad River Canoe,(Explorer) Kevlar, if we needed a small boat, I can bring it.  The Explorer could handle a couple a deer, and equipment, and two guys.  I have loaded it up for the boundary Waters many times, I have a base camp timberline six person tent.  If we can work out the dates, I think it would be a great experience, PM if you wanna go and if we can work out the dates.

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 10:28:00 AM »
Are you allowed vehicles of any type?...or are you on foot all week long. If you could cross over with a truck it would make bringing camping stuff a whole lot easier.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2007, 10:30:00 AM »
Shaun, This island is located in the north west corner of the lower peninsula. Non-res on the island is $25 bucks same as res. Mainland tags are over $150.00
lll

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 10:31:00 AM »
The only vehicles allowed are the ones at the bottom of your legs. That's why the pressure is so lite.
lll

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2007, 10:32:00 AM »
Sound interesting, how much is a non resident bowhunting license in Michigan?

Sorry I should have read everything before I posted.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2007, 10:36:00 AM »
Carl, any time in October is open. I like the last week (start of the rut). It also depends on interest in going to the island. The ferry might not run the week we want because it's not worth it to them to sail with one or two guys so we have to go on there set days. But if there are 6 or more, we set the date.
lll

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2007, 02:42:00 PM »
so CJ, what's the plan? You want to rough camp in the interior, or use the campground and everybody pick a direction in the morning? Sounds like a lot of fun,  our deer opener is Oct.1, but the rut doesn't start here until November. Keep us posted.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2007, 05:09:00 PM »
Count me in CJ a week off work and a chance at a good whitetail.  doug77

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2007, 06:52:00 PM »
CJ, It sounds like a blast! I was hoping to head out west next year, but the way that the funds are looking, the "cheap" hunt is what I will be needing to do!   :bigsmyl:  It looks like this hunt is gonna happen, so for right now, figure I'm in. Keep the info coming and let me/us know as far as a tentative date. I can bring two different tents and some other camp gear. Thanks and great idea! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline rainman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2007, 06:55:00 PM »
I would be interested in this hunt also.  preferably in the rut.

Dan Raney
Semper Fidelis
Dan Raney

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2007, 09:14:00 PM »
Might be a couple more interested.  I will ask my buddy.  Sounds like a great time.  What is the terrain like ?  
ChuckC

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2007, 09:34:00 PM »
I would be up for a hunt like this next year. Count me in!
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline John C Keith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2007, 10:28:00 PM »
I am "interested"  just too far away for me to confirm anything.  If you can keep me informed it would be great

For all:

Here are a few links I found researching the island.  Save you the "leg" work.

General Hunt info
 http://www.nps.gov/slbe/planyourvisit/nmihunting.htm

A map of the island:
 http://www.leelanau.com/manitou/islands/nm-map-print.html

Will post more later if I find any of interest.

Thanks
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters

Its not about the weapon used, its about the adventure involved.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©