3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Interest in a cheap "wilderness" deer hunt?  (Read 1277 times)

Offline John C Keith

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Interest in a cheap "wilderness" deer hunt?
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2007, 10:35:00 PM »
That was quick!  LOL

Check out this story about the beginnings of the hunt.  Sounds like the old stick and string guys were all over them...

Anyway thought you would enjoy.

http://www.leelanaunews.com/blog/2007/10/23/n-manitou-hunts-have-seen-changes/

Here is a little better map:
 http://www.northmanitou.com/imagery/manitou2.jpg

Anyone have any topo's?  I am "on vacation" but I am going to call my brother in law tomorrow and see what he thinks.  Thanks for bringing this to my attention.  Money is tight, but I think this is something "wild" I could actually afford.

Anyway Thanks again and I pray everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving.
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters

Its not about the weapon used, its about the adventure involved.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2007, 11:13:00 PM »
It appears that you need a permit AND a Michigan Deer hunting license for this hunt.  Just read this in the Gneral Hunt info post above.

ChuckC

Offline John C Keith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2007, 11:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by ChuckC:
It appears that you need a permit AND a Michigan Deer hunting license for this hunt.  Just read this in the Gneral Hunt info post above.

ChuckC
Looks like it, I was not looking for that when I posted.  FYI looks like a Michigan non res archery only tag is $138 (this year).  Our license fees are more than likely going up before next year, so I do not know what it will be.

Here is a link to the Michigan DNR license fees page.
   Michigan DNR Hunting & Trapping License Fees, 2007-2008
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters

Its not about the weapon used, its about the adventure involved.

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2007, 06:41:00 AM »
Wow! I didn't think there would be that much interest. I read the artical John posted and the numbers are a little different when what I was told by the park servive rangers at the main office in Glen Arbor but still close. I was also told that with this being a special hunt in a national park you only need to pay the $25.00 for the park permit and any deer taken would not count against my main land tags. You would need a Michigan small game tag to hunt the small stuff. This is the Federal Goverment we are talking about here so they don't always know their facts. With all this interest, I'll get it in writing and post it.  

Someone was asking about contour. It's mostly gently rolling hard woods with a few high spots and a few swamps. The lake in the middle of the island is big, maybe 300 acres (a guess). There are old farms and orchards with open fields and the beach along Lake Michigan is open. I thought I'd find the deer in the apple trees but there are Oaks and Beeches all over so the deer didn't stick to one food source. The weather in October this year ran from a high of 90 early in the month to lows of 30 with a little snow so you never know. We also had a lot of wind and rain in October. The bugs might still be out. The sand flys along the Lake Michigan beach were thick. The Mosquitos not so bad. Don't know about ticks.

Looks like having a group of good hunters on the island in the fall might happen. I'm planning on being on the first boat in the spring to the island for a long weekend of fishing for those bass and scouting around and will gather info from the park service on the 2008 hunt.
lll

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2007, 09:24:00 AM »
That article quotes some biologist as saying there are 80-100 deer on the island. That must be wrong. Maybe 80-100 per sq mile?

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2007, 09:40:00 AM »
CJ.   If you fish that pond.  try getting a float tube.  I have used float tubes extensively in the past and let me tell you...that pond scenario is custom made for that.  You can hike in, walk into the water and fish the whole pond.  Beats carrying a boat or canoe that far.

That would be an awesome day on the water !
ChuckC

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2007, 10:05:00 AM »
I spoke with the ranger that lives on the island from May until October and he said he guessed the population to be at least 300 deer as he sees them daily as he walked the trails. Also that study the biologist does in the winter was by flying. Here on the main land the deer stack up in the cedars and hemlocks I don't know how you would see a deer from the air in that thick stuff. But I'm not a Biologist.
lll

Offline blueslfb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2007, 10:48:00 AM »
I would be interested as well.  Its only a short drive for me and I have heard good things about the island.  I used to hunt Drummond Island all the time and even tho it was populated, one could still find himself out in the middle of nowhere.  Sounds cool.

Offline ks_stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2007, 12:06:00 PM »

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2007, 03:41:00 PM »
I wanted to do this hunt when I lived in Michigan but I could never get a plan organized. I'd be really interested in this. Not a short drive for me; but I think it may well be worth the trip.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2007, 06:55:00 PM »
I really didn't know what kind of responce I'd get asking this question. I'm amazed. I think those deer are in trouble next year. Or at least get the chance to meet so real good guys.

CJ
lll

Offline vermontrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2007, 06:55:00 PM »
I would be more than happy to make the drive next year. Sounds like a great place and a great hunt. Count me in...
"Only a fool lean upon his own misunderstanding" -B.Marley

Offline sou-pawbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2007, 12:48:00 AM »
This hunt sounds like it might be just what the doctor ordered. I'll keep an eye on this thread as it sounds like a great time.
Molon labe

Offline JSimon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2007, 08:31:00 AM »
I am also interested. I've never been on a primitive wilderness hunt like that and I don't know if I have the proper gear, but I can figure all that stuff out between now and then.

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2007, 07:25:00 PM »
I graduate (again) on the tenth of October, so if it's after that, I will most certainly make the trip.  This sounds AWESOME!!

Thanks for putting together this post.
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." RLS

Offline bvalentine002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2007, 02:16:00 PM »
Please include me on these plans.

I started backpacking this past summer and I would love to do this kind of remote hunt without getting on a plane.

I like either of the last 2 weeksd of October personally. November gets a bit risky in terms of weather.

-Brett

Offline Dave Coalter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2007, 07:29:00 PM »
I talked to brother about this hunt, he did some checking. This year there were 52 hunters that hunted the island, out of the 52 hunters 2 deer were taken.
What we don't know is how long they stayed on the island to hunt.
Last year about the same amount of hunters with 3 deer taken. Looks like the success rate is about 3%.
I guess it all depends on what your going up there for. The adventure or to get a deer!
Inside every old man there is a young man asking what the heck happened.

Offline ziggy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2007, 08:01:00 PM »
I've backpacked on the island a couple of times with a friend of mine who doesn't hunt.  We went in July or August each time.  I was there with the intention of scouting the island with the hopes of a return trip in October.

The first trip to the island I never cut a deer track.  We covered the perimeter of the island and never made it to the interior or the lake.  The second trip we did the perimeter and also made a quick trip to the lake and the hardwoods of the North end.  We didn't spend too much time inland due to the bugs.  During the four days we only cut two sets of tracks.  These were between the inland lake and the North end.

Prior to visiting the island a different backpacking friend told me the island looked like a groomed park because of the over browsing by the deer.

Needless to say, I never did hunt there.

Having said that,  I would like to join the group for a trial run at hunting out west.  My plan would be to set up a base camp near the boat docks and then go inland or North for two to three nights with minimal gear.  Returning to the base came to resupply and head out again.  Of course this all depends on the weather and how good the cooks are in camp. 

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2007, 08:15:00 PM »
CJ-

Count me in. Let me know if you need any help with planning or anything else. I live 25 miles south of Ann Arbor but I have property that I hunt in on Lake Bellaire(Shanty Creek/Schuss Mtn.). How do you plan to proceed from here?
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline 6X5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2007, 11:45:00 AM »
This looks really interesting. What is the cost of a Mich. small game non res tag? What would you estimate other costs,ferry etc, to be. I am really interested in this hunt.
Robert Johns

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©