Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Pushing towards the target  (Read 632 times)

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
Pushing towards the target
« on: July 04, 2013, 06:02:00 PM »
I've recently added a new step to my shot sequence since I know I tend to creep a little bit at the shot. Once I settle in on target I maintain my back tension but push a small bit towards the target. I have found this has kept me in a stronger position in the release and follow through, also eliminates the tendency to drop the bow arm. I have to thank Ron Laclair, I was watching the Masters of the Bare Bow and he mentions doing so as he describes his shot. Figured it was worth a try to eliminate the creep or drop.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Flatshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pushing towards the target
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 07:47:00 PM »
IMHO, it also helps "righties" avoid shooting left. A pull w/o a stabilizing push will torque the bow to the left upon release causing the arrow to go left. I find this more evident when shooting a lighter longbow as opposed to a heavy mass recurve which is more forgiving.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 07:57:00 PM »
Makes sense, since I shoot longbows it does help with the lighter mass weight.

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 08:24:00 PM »
When I do this I have a tendency to roll my bow arm shoulder forward which has caused shoulder pain in the past.  If I focus on pushing forward I can actually gain about an inch of draw length but my shoulder is rolled  out rather than locked back and I don't have back tension on the bow arm side, rather I am using shoulder muscles.  How do you all push forward without rolling the shoulder forward and losing back tension on the bow arm side?

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 09:19:00 PM »
I think the goal is to have your shoulders aligned pointing toward the target, as in Terry's form clock.  For me, it takes a little pushing with my bow arm side to accomplish this. A little more pushing, and I might roll my shoulder too much, as you describe.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 04:42:00 AM »
Well the push is slight, if you are rolling your shoulder you are exaggerating the push.

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 07:30:00 AM »
Yep, I exaggerated the push for years shooting with my shoulder rolled out.  Had a bad tendency to drop my bow arm too.  Didn't cause pain in the shoulder until after a couple years shooting my 70 lb. Hill that way.  Now I lock back the shoulder and engage the rhomboid muscle and try to hold the bow steady.  I'll try the slight push toward target.  Thanks for the tip.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 12:01:00 PM »
my definition of definition of proper alignment is all of your energy going directly to wards and away from the target from your power points which is your your bos wrist and your elbow.

I go into great detail about that in the Trad Gang DVD and some information is on the form clock featured at the top of this forum.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 01:28:00 PM »
I brought this up due to the overwhelming advice shooters get in pulling, that we sometime forget to push. As in pulling you do not want to push or pull yourself out of alignment. If you ever watch a real target pro on the olympic circuit, they need to pull through the clicker, yet it is impossible to see them move.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 07:07:00 AM »
I'm no instructor and only offer help when asked but its the 1st thing I say to people,, push toward the kill spot.  I think with me it helps with follow through so when I see someone moving anything upon release I recommend that to give them something else to do after release.   so push the bow until the arrow hits,, it works for most I ask to try it.
"Us vs Them"

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 11:34:00 PM »
Hope Str8shooter doesn't mind me posting his video but it really clarified some things for me.

Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Bluegoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 01:29:00 PM »
I think it was one of Asbell's books that helped put "push" into my shot sequence. It seems to help all around, even with focus on the spot.
Dave Johnson ASL 68" 50#@30"

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 02:46:00 PM »
I try to think of the push as "positive forward pressure on the bow" rather than a push. This seems to stop me from exaggerating the push. Whatever you call it, it works
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©