Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: String finger pain when shooting 3 under  (Read 647 times)

Offline ALwoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
String finger pain when shooting 3 under
« on: July 07, 2013, 09:35:00 AM »
A few months ago I switched from split finger to 3 under.  Recently I have noticed pain in my fingers from the string friction on release.  It is mainly in my index and middle finger.  I am using a tab.  Any idea as to what is causing this?

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: String finger pain when shooting 3 under
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 09:46:00 AM »
Are you setting the string on the pads of your fingers or using a deep hook?  I recommend a deep hook and hand, wrist and forearm as completely relaxed as possible.  If done correctly there should be NO pain OR burn on your fingers.

This is true for both split and 3 under.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 09:57:00 AM »
I and others have switched from split to three under without experiencing any finger pain, so I don't think there is anything inherently related to three under that would cause the problem.  You're probably dragging your fingertips somehow when you release the arrow.  Make sure you're not trying to open your fingers. Instead, you should be relaxing your fingers and letting the string push them out of the way.  Using a deep hook, in the finger joints rather than on the pads, may help you relax your hand.  I know, both of these suggestions seem like they would make the situation worse rather than better, but they seem to work in most cases.

Until your fingers heal, you might want to try using a heavier tab, like the Martin Archery Mitt, sold by 3 Rivers.  Then after a few weeks you could go back to something lighter, if you want.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline ALwoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 10:30:00 AM »
I am using a deep hook just like I did shooting split.  I think something I am doing is making me drag my fingers across the string.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©