Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Are short recurves difficult to shoot?  (Read 654 times)

Offline valkyrie.rider

• Trad Bowhunter
Are short recurves difficult to shoot?
« on: July 15, 2013, 06:42:00 PM »
Hope this question qualifies for this forum. I just got a short (52") recurve. Havent shot it yet but have been hearing that short bows are inherantly difficult to shoot accurately. Would appreciate opinions and tips for short bows. Thanks

Offline GRAYBEARD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are short recurves difficult to shoot?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 08:14:00 PM »
I think it is largely in the grip. I have a 56" Wes Wallace that shoots every bit as smoothly as its 62" cousin. As long as it fits your hand properly and has some weight to it, you should be fine.
TGMM Family of the Bow; Make every heartbeat a party, the next one is not guaranteed!

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 08:36:00 PM »
Can't really answer.  Your draw length has a lot to do with it.  Short limbs can move more simply because they are short and have less inertia than longer limbed bows (not talking about limb recovery when shooting the arrow but that a short stick is easier to swing around than a long stick), finger pinch CAN become an issue for some, stacking can be a problem, or none of the above.  Everyone is different and you just have to try and see if it works for you.  That last statement is true though out archery.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 08:53:00 PM »
Generally speaking, if people are shooting purely for accuracy, such as in the Olympics, they will choose a longer bow. Many people prefer shorter bows for hunting. I picked a shorter 58" bow for my hunting this year rather than the 62" bow that I had been shooting previously, just because I think it shoots better, aside from any advantages it may give me in the brush or a treestand. However, after hunting season when I go back to shooting 3D, I'll use my lighter draw weight 64" bow.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline jcp161

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 08:42:00 AM »
I have a 52" recurve that shoots every bit as well and as accurately as my 62" bows and I have had shorter bows in the 56-58" range that did not shoot as well. My experience has been that the individual bow or design is the factor as opposed to a problem with all bows of a certain length.

Short bows have some advantages in the field. I can shoot my 52" recurve while sitting flat on the ground with no problem while I have to worry about limb clearance with the 62". I'm interested to hear your opinion after you have had the opportunity to shoot your bow and experiment a bit. Keep us posted.

John
"In bow hunting, the goal is not marksmanship but shooting well. And shooting well, after all, is merely a matter of only taking shots you can make."-Hunting from Home-Christopher Camuto

Offline pitt98

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 10:48:00 AM »
My thoughts, short bows are just as accurate as longer bows, and should be just as nice to shoot (pending design and draw length).  However, they are less forgiving than longer bows, thus, giving the illusion that they are harder to shoot.  Flaws will likely be accentuated with a shorter bow.
Damon Howatt Super Diablo 54# @28
BW PSA 60" 51# @28
RER Arroyo 58" 60# @28
Kwyk Styk 54" 54#@28
Eaglewing Talon 11 62" 53# @28
Zipper Nitro 60" 47#@28
Allegheny Mt longbow 60" 40#@28

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 07:10:00 AM »
There was a video here of a guy shooting a Bear Kodiak Mag (52"), I believe the bow was. From 45 to 15 yards, nice tight bunch of arrows at the target.
No doubt others can do the same, so it can be done.
I like a short bow and will hopefully have a Tolke Kestral (52") before too long. My accuracy will remain to be seen...
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 09:26:00 AM »
I recently shot a friend's 52" Kodiak Magnum and although I could hit with it I found it twitchy and unpleasant to shoot. I'd never own one myself. Perhaps if you were in a real cramped blind and needed a short bow it would be OK but not for general shooting.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©