Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Clicker Setup  (Read 558 times)

Offline yogibarrows

• Trad Bowhunter
Clicker Setup
« on: July 24, 2013, 02:55:00 PM »
I've recently installed a clicker and I'm having issues.  I want to make sure I have it installed correctly.  It is a limb mounted clicker and I have it mounted 4-6 inches from the upper limb tip.  The cord is attached to the string and is nearly perpendicular to the string at full draw.

The issue I'm having is that sometimes it clicks long before I'm at my so called anchor while other times I cannot get it to click. I'm sure it's my form or other issue but I really don't know where to start?

Offline Brent Hill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Clicker Setup
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 07:09:00 AM »
Are you using the chain or did you replace it with a cord?  Is the chain /cord catching on anything during your draw?

I usually mark my arrows at the point where the belly side of the riser and arrow meet at full draw and at the point where those 2 points meet when the bow is not drawn back but that my brace height is set perfectly.  I can then tell if brace height has changed..    To check my clicker length and operation, I set. Up and the draw a few times with my arrow that is per marked and aim the bow down so I can pull my head away to view the process to look for issues.  

With respect to placement of clicker, I have never read instructions.... So take this advise accordingly .  I ve been using one on my recurve since 2007 and like most things in my life, I have bumbled through with trial and error.  That's why I love this site so you can try to avoid many of the errors.  

Issues I have had with my clicker...

On my bob lee, I put the clicker about 7-8 inches from where the limb leaves the riser, almost middle of the limb but tad closer to riser.  I'm not sure if that's correct but it works well for me.  This keeps my cord out of the way of my silencers which would often catch the cord before and engage the clicker.

Secondly, I always made sure my string was stretched well because Flemish strings will twist and anything tied to or put in between the strands of the string will twist and ultimately shorten the draw length of the clicker which will cause it to engage quicker...

Third, don't touch my wife, my child or my bow please....  Sounds crazy but you know it's true..   Before I put o my clicker, I was very careful about others shooting my bow except trusted bowhunting friends who knew about dry fires and arrow weight but even then... Stupid things happen.  I had a good friend who got me into bowhunting dry fire my first bow..   Now the clicker...dryfiring is not your only concern now..if your bow is overdrawn with the clicker, could break or damage your clicker which takes real effort to tune... Especially just before deer season..

Fourth,  weather,  cold makes metal shrink... My clicker won't click in freezing weather but my bones do .   I usually tape my clickers, the flat portion with electric or duct tape to silence them and only feel the click in the riser but...it's upsetting if you expect to hear click and get nothing except cold.

Hope this helps, when you get her set up, it will be well worth it and will help you practice your form as well.  I usually worm up in the stand with a few draws and clicks to get my form and head ready to shoot.   Bhill

Offline yogibarrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 08:41:00 AM »
Thanks Brent!  I think I may have figured it out.  I noticed that the cable was angled up and hitting the little lip on the clicker plate.  I moved the connection point on the string down toward the nock and adjusted the length longer.  Now the cable doesn't hit anything and after 10 shots I've had no issue.  We'll see how it goes.

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 11:58:00 AM »
I have my clicker set just above center on the limb, and the string tied at a slight downward angle. I also removed the chain. Makes adjusting a pain, but it's much quieter.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©