Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Can I be drawing too long  (Read 715 times)

Offline toby

• Trad Bowhunter
Can I be drawing too long
« on: July 28, 2013, 10:33:00 PM »
It seems like if I try to get to maximum expansion and increase my dl by anchoring with my first thumb knuckle by my earlobe, that I distort my vision and don't get a clear look at the target. If I draw back a little less, I see the target better, but don't fell like I have full extension. How can I get  full extension, without distorting my vision?
TOBY

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Can I be drawing too long
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 04:02:00 AM »
Yep, I do it all the time.

As I continue to shoot during a session, the muscles loosen up I find I start drawing further.

Key for me is to keep the same achor point but make sure I am rotating my elbow around to get the back involved. Makes the release much smoother too.

Offline toby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 06:54:00 AM »
Thanks, sometimes the string even clips my cheek, so I know I am out of whack.

It just seems like if I am not getting every bit of dl possible,that I am not getting the most potential from my bow.
TOBY

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 08:45:00 AM »
toby,

Without seeing you shoot, it is hard to help much.  I will say this though.  DO NOT force your form to accommodate an arbitrary draw length.  Your draw length is what it is. When you get the "bones lined up", trying to "expand" or pull farther, just to get more draw length WILL lead to problems! Sacrificing consistency and repeatable form simply to achieve a perceived or desired draw length is very counterproductive.

It does sound like you are overdrawing since you say that sometimes the string "clips" your cheek and that implies drawing too far back and that is usually only done by employing the arm rather than the back and bone alignment.  For most of us, when we reach a "good" draw position, the string, when released, will move straight out from "skin" towards the target and will not travel along any "skin."

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline toby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 01:27:00 PM »
Arnie, can you explain what it means to have the "bones lined up" or describe how it should feel.
Thanks
Toby
TOBY

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 02:22:00 PM »
Easier to show than to describe but... From bow hand wrist, bow pressure runs straight up the bow arm (elbow straight -- NOT locked) to the bow shoulder, then that straight line continues to the string shoulder at full draw and then out the string upper arm to the elbow.  That straight line crosses the arrow line, it does not run parallel to the arrow.

When done correctly, when you reach full draw and anchor, you will feel the bones take the weight of the bow, your muscle activity will decrease to just that required to hold the bones in line and will be in the back, NOT the arms.  It is ALMOST like hitting the let off on a C bow as your effort largely reduces to much less than bow weight.

To complete this, it helps immensely IF your string forearm and wrist are as relaxed as possible too.

Another way to think about it is: when you are standing, your body weight is on the bones of your legs and your muscles are only keeping the bones lined up they (the muscles) are not supporting body weight only bone alignment.  You can get that feel in the upper body with the bow too, BUT there are more bones to keep in alignment and that is why we (coaches) so often say that it is easier to learn this with a light bow first.  Once learned, you can apply the feel to much heavier bows.

Overall, IF you can develop this, and since your bones are always the same length, your draw length stays essentially the same, no matter the bow you are using.  And consequently, where you anchor on your face becomes a RESULT of your draw to align the bones and NOT an arbitrary point that you draw too and then conform your body too.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline toby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 03:26:00 PM »
Arnie, I knew that would be a difficult thing to describe, but you did a great job. I shot a couple dozen times since your previous post, attempting to keep from over exaggerating my dl. I somehow got the idea of drawing very long was a good thin.......not so much as i can see now.

Thank you so much
Toby
TOBY

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 05:21:00 PM »
Arne, that is possibly the best description of alignment that I have ever heard.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Boneyard Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 04:04:00 PM »
If everyone could read this before they started shooting a bow they would learn to shoot much quicker. Hats off to a good instructor.
The size of the horns don,t matter
as long as it has a good tale.

Offline bwsandite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 11:10:00 AM »
I can tell you from experience, that over drawing can also make you shoot left. I would start off shooting great, and once I got loose, my grous would gradually migrate to the left about 6 inches at 25yrds. It took me a month to figure it out.
I also shoot 3 fingers under and ya shoot.
Bennie

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 10:16:00 PM »
Hey Toby.  I agree with Arne on this.  Trying to mimic Rick Welches style is not a bad idea because he is an excellent shot.  However, not everyones body makeup will allow them to anchor on the ear lobe with the thumb as he does.  In fact, if you were to take lessons with Rick he would even tell you that.  But have no fear.  You can still adopt all of Ricks method.  You might just need to change your anchor a bit.  As an example, some people shoot basically the exact same way as Rick, but instead of getting that thumb on the earlobe, they anchor in the corner of their mouth with their middle finger (shooting 3 under) while at the same time still pulling the fletching to their nose.  You gotta anchor in a way that feels natural to you. It helps a bunch!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©