Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: ? for 3 under shooters  (Read 658 times)

Offline Gregg S

• Trad Bowhunter
? for 3 under shooters
« on: July 29, 2013, 05:44:00 PM »
I've been shooting three under for a few years now. I've always shot with about equal pressure on all three fingers. Today I tried shooting with the most pressure on my index finger and then less on my middle finger and almost no pressure on my ring finger. I found that my left to right accuracy was better. As a matter of fact, I shot a 3D course this way and found that the targets that I did not have a 10 on, I was either at 12 o'clock or 6 o'clock just over or under the 10 but right down the middle. Just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience with this.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ? for 3 under shooters
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 08:14:00 PM »
You may have found a way that works better for you, Gregg, although from what I understand, people typically put a tad more weight on the middle finger than the others. But I'm curious, so I'll give your method a try and see if it works better for me too.

Alternatively, you may have found a way to temporarily increase your concentration. I have found that whenever I try anything new, it usually works better than the old way for a while.  Even a new bow shoots better than the old bows for a while.  If it continues, it may really be better; if things go back to normal after a while, then I know that whatever I was trying ramped up my concentration as long as it felt new.  Too bad I can't figure out a way to make that increase in concentration permanent!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Gregg S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 08:49:00 PM »
McDave I know that feeling of finding something that works and seems like the best thing since sliced bread only to find that in a few days it doesn't  seem to have the same results and then it's back to  the original way. I'm still in the testing stage on this one. I tried it because I got to thinking that when you shoot split finger your middle finger carries a bit more of the weight and is right below the arrow so I started to pull a bit more with my index finger because it is also right under the arrow. Who knows, it may have more to do with dropping more of the weight off of my ring finger that is actually making the difference. I'll give it a few days and see if the luster wears off.

Online Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 07:45:00 AM »
I recently experienced the exact same thing.  I switched from my worn out black widow tab to a new cordovan tab and my left right accuracy was suffering.  Missing by over a foot left  or right.  I realized that I was placing equal pressure on all three fingers with the new tab and with the old one I had most pressure on index finger, less on middle and very little on ring.  I tried that with the new tab; actually just lightly touching the string with the pad of my ring finger and "presto" my left/right problems cleared up and I was right down the middle again.  I have heard that three under shooters should have the most pressure on the index finger as that is the finger that is right below the arrow.  A split shooter would have most pressure on the middle finger as that is the one right below the arrow, but everyone has to find what works for them.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 11:30:00 AM »
Tried it out this morning, and I like it!  I'll have to try it over a longer period of time to make sure it's not just a "placebo" effect, but I did seem to have better right/left accuracy.  For me, it's hard to judge the exact pressures I'm putting on each finger, but I tried for an increased awareness of my index finger, rather than just letting it ride along, and a corresponding relaxing of my ring finger.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline gretchen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 01:12:00 PM »
The less pressure you can get by with on your ring finger the better....ALOT of shooters just shoot two under instead of 3 simply for a cleaner release.

Dewayne Martin
Lord help me when I aim!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©