Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: sore fingers.. release problem?  (Read 884 times)

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
sore fingers.. release problem?
« on: August 04, 2013, 12:37:00 PM »
hi guys, i have never had much trouble with sore fingers. as of lately i have. esp in my middle and ring finger. im using the same equipment as always(tab). i use what would be considered a deeper hook, in the first joint with the fingers pointed back roughly. my ring finger esp is the one getting the sorest almost like the string is snapping hard off the first 3/4 in of my finger. could it be its getting out of the way last? im not sure.. any comments?
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: sore fingers.. release problem?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 01:20:00 PM »
Red,

If you are holding your hook as described many will get a LITTLE friction on the ring finger.  BUT, If you can get the release to happen by relaxing the hand, rather than opening the fingers, you will get less friction or "burn" on the fingers.

Relaxed forearm, wrist, and hand relaxed as much as possible and still hold the hook.  Then when ready to shoot try to just relax the "hook" and let the string push the fingers out of the way.  If you think "shoot now," you tend to open your fingers and then the string WILL scrape along the pads of the fingers since you CANNOT move them fast enough to not interfere with the string.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 02:14:00 PM »
that makes sense. i will go out and try it. also since i made this post i have gone looking at pics of those at full draw and notice most on the ring finger when at full draw is on a slant and it seems that i am keeping the deep hook. should i be using less ring finger in my hold? and use more pointer and middle? i see others hands are turned out slightly where i think i may be keeping mine in line with the string more? or so it seems. i do sometime feel a slight slap across my face is that makes any difference and also i shoot split. thanks Moe!!

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 02:42:00 PM »
You might try keeping the string in or very near the first joints of your index and middle fingers and on the pad of your ring finger.  When you draw, weight distribution is about 40% index, 50% middle and just 10% on the pad of the ring finger.

Again, relax the fingers for release and let the string push the fingers out of the way, try NOT to OPEN the fingers.

Let the shot happen, don't MAKE it happen.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 09:27:00 PM »
i worked on this twice today and i really tried to concentrate on my release. i could get the relaxed release but really have to consciously do it. just relax and let it slip away. i must really have a conscious release that will be a thing i will have to work on and learn. i tell ya, 1/4 of the shots slipped off and i can feel a difference when i do what im supposed to. as there is not roughness or soreness on the release. the rest of the time its rough. my shooting time has now been dictated by the tenderness of my fingers. and not by from getting tired. im still not quite sure whats going on. i can tell as soon as i release. but i still cant figure out what i did. the grip on the string or in the release. keep working at it. thanks Arne!

Offline rendalen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 08:24:00 AM »
I started using this hold on the string that Arne recomends last year and it has worked great for me. You get a mutch smoother release, a lower elbow a quiter bow and i had to lower my nock point from 1/2 inch to 3/8. It also works great on shorter bows, no finger pinch, at least on the 56" Bear td i shoot. And no more sore fingers.

Øyvind

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 02:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by rendalen:
I started using this hold on the string that Arne recomends last year and it has worked great for me. You get a mutch smoother release, a lower elbow a quiter bow and i had to lower my nock point from 1/2 inch to 3/8. It also works great on shorter bows, no finger pinch, at least on the 56" Bear td i shoot. And no more sore fingers.

Øyvind
You mean by using most pressure on index and middle fingers like he suggested above? I will try it tonight!

Offline rendalen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 06:01:00 AM »
Yes like Arne suggested. Have you tried it out yet ?

Øyvind

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 02:59:00 PM »
Yes. I been working on it about everyday. Relaxing e hand has helped. But I found I was doin something odd. Because your finger are not same length I was putting the string on a different spot on every finger. I usually go first joint directly in or just a bit over. Well I was doin that on one finger or sometimes 2. The other times the other two fingers or just one finger the string was in odd places. Like real deep or out near the end. Now the middle finger was always a nice consistent spot he ring and pointer finger is where it was laying different.  Does that make sense?? And by making sure Ll fingers had same grip it has help eliminate allot of the problem. I didn't even realize I was doing that. Kinda odd

Offline solobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 11:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by moebow:
You might try keeping the string in or very near the first joints of your index and middle fingers and on the pad of your ring finger.  When you draw, weight distribution is about 40% index, 50% middle and just 10% on the pad of the ring finger.

Again, relax the fingers for release and let the string push the fingers out of the way, try NOT to OPEN the fingers.

Let the shot happen, don't MAKE it happen.

Arne
Arne,
    Is this the same weight distribution for both fingers and tabs when shooting 3 under?
USMC 1986-1990

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 08:06:00 AM »
I remember reading that Howard Hill suggested relaxing the ring finger first to initiate the release and the other fingers will follow.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 08:10:00 AM »
Pretty much.  This is a little harder with a glove but can still be done.  As far as split vs. 3 under, remember that this variation is only an accommodation for aiming.  There is essentially no difference in how your fingers interact with the string.

If you haven't,Check out the "Release tips" video I have on You tube -- TheMoebow1.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 11:36:00 AM »
Arne, I've read most, if not all, of your helpful instruction. I thought I was using a deep hook, but after watching for the nth time your release video I realized it really wasn't deep. This meant I was not able to relax my string arm much. I started using a hold that placed my index finger just past the joint toward the tip of my finger. The middle finger was directly on the crease of the joint and just the pad of my ring finger was on the string.

I tried a tab for the first time (a BW hair tab for 3-under) and started getting a really clean release nearly every time. A problem then developed with pain right in the joint of my middle finger. This was not from the released string rubbing on my finger, since it got pushed out of the way just as you said it would, but just from the pressure at hold directly on the joint.

The pain got so bad I had to go back to a cordovan glove, but kept the same finger positions. I just watched your release video for the n+1 time and noticed that your index finger seems fully as deeply hooked as the middle finger.

Am I placing too much weight on the middle finger and not enough on the index finger? I really liked the tab as I got such a clean release, but I tried it again last night and the pain was still there. Is there a tab that would provide more cushioning but retain the easy flip that seems to get out of the way faster than my glove?

Lots of questions I know and I guess I may be stealing a thread, but it seems as though it's pretty much along the lines of the OP.

Ron
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 12:35:00 PM »
Blade,

We have a nerve that runs in the center of the middle finger joint.  It is more sensitive for some than others.  Sounds like the index finger is good, so now try placing the string JUST BEHIND the middle finger joint (away from the finger tip).  Yes, the finger tips are pointed back at you about the same for the index and middle finger.

As you draw, DO NOT let the string roll into the joint - may take a little practice to get the feel.  This should alleviate the nerve pain.  Tab or glove should make no difference, although I find it a little harder to achieve a good deep hook with the glove.  You are trying to bend a leather tube and that can constrict the finger movement.

See if that helps.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 02:44:00 PM »
Arne, just got back from shooting in my shop. That "even deeper" hook seems to work fine and alleviates most of the pain. It works really well with my light bow, but I still get a bit of discomfort with my heavier hunting bow (heavier; not heavy    :)   ).

That was with the tab. I then tried the glove (really soft, thin deerskin with Cordovan pads on the string side) and had no trouble getting a really deep hook on index and middle fingers, with the ring finger carrying very little weight. No discomfort at all.

Either way, it looks like I have a workable solution to my problem.

Thanks
Ron
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©