Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: How many have switched sides?  (Read 1507 times)

Offline Rusty in Fla.

• Trad Bowhunter
How many have switched sides?
« on: August 07, 2013, 05:02:00 PM »
I've been shooting a bow most of my life and fairly serious for the last 25 years. I shoot right handed even though I'm left handed and left eye dominant. I seem to have reached a plateau and not able to get any  better. I feel like I'm in a slump. Close up is no problem but past 15-20 yards things just don't come together.
  I'm thinking switching to the left might allow me to start fresh, not learn bad habits and go to a new level.
  What say ye?
If you're gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many have switched sides?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 05:10:00 PM »
I wouldn't switch for that reason. I would shoot from whichever is your dominant eye side. I just recently (end of last year) switched from right to left to match my dominant eye. I didn't find the switch awkward except for nocking the arrow. I saw no increase or decrease in accuracy at any given distance, but I find it easier to shoot varying distances because my range estimation is better with both eyes open. I have to close my left eye when I shoot from the right side.

There may be something similar to the "new gun syndrome", where you pay more attention to the basics when you're shooting something new. That's fine until the newness wears off and you go back to your old bad habits.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Rusty in Fla.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 05:18:00 PM »
I am left eye dominant and shoot with both eyes open... that may be a thought though, close the left eye when drawing. Hmmm, that's good food for thought.

Offline Jasper2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 06:12:00 PM »
If you already shoot with both eyes open and are shooting with the arrow under your non-dominant eye, more than likely you are shooting instinctive in which case it isn't "supposed" to matter what side you shoot from.  However, if you reference the arrow at all, you will have a "strange" sight picture to overcome for lack of a better word.  I shot decent RH for many years but am left eye dominant.

Since switching to LH a few years back.....I am shooting better than ever.  Everything just looks more "normal" now that the arrow is under my dominant eye and I rarely miss right or left anymore since I can see and center my arrow on the target.

Take care,
Jason
Take care,
Jason

56" Centaur Chimera 50#@27"

Offline Rusty in Fla.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 11:44:00 PM »
Thanks Jason, I thought that might be the case.

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 07:32:00 PM »
Do it, and don't look back.  Within a week you'll wonder why you didn't start that way.  You're right about the habits.  When you change sides, you'll be able to control every aspect of your shot sequence.  

The only advice I'd give is to use something light to start with.

Offline Keith Langford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 06:55:00 PM »
Also, you may want to consider going to a shooting school, I went to Rick Welch, if you change from right to left so you can start fresh with perfect form. I went back in April and went from pretty good to Virginia state champion, and am winning most of the 3d shoots I go to.If you really want to reach your potential take his class, but first get you a lefty and practice pulling it back, also recommend his accuracy factory video.
John 3:16

Offline Broke N Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 12:15:00 AM »
I was shooting right handed because I am right handed but discovered I wa left eye dominant..got hit in the right eye with a rock when I was a kid but didnt think that would make a difference..well it did..when I would try to shoot instinctive I was all over the place..I was getting so frustrated..A guy told me I needed to switch butI faught it for along time..finnally I tried it and couldnt believe the difference..I was actually hitting where I was aiming..I never looked back..now I have confidence in my shooting and can shoot 20 times better than I was.. dont be stubborn like I was..try it.. it will change your life..
Stand at the crossroads and look, seek for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is,and walk in it, and you will find rest for your soul....Scroll of Joshua

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 12:22:00 AM »
Switch.  I am right handed but left eye dominant.  I shoot lefty as does my son. Some say it doesn't matter but I disagree.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Rusty in Fla.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 12:38:00 AM »
Well now to go bow shopping again.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 07:11:00 PM »
I have not made the switch because I have shot both right handed and left handed right from the time I started shooting traditional bows back in 2009...that came naturally from my shooting guns and compound bows that way starting nearly 50 years ago with guns...your situation is your situation...I say this only so that you know it can be done

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 07:13:00 PM »
I usually add this as well...a couple of old school archers did exactly what you are thinking about doing...google Glenn St. Charles and Fred Bear sometime

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 10:05:00 AM »
I made the switch because of an eye injury.
I have become left eye dominant and have very diminished sight in my right eye.
Long story short, I am 65 years old, and have switched to lefty. The switch kept my shooting alive. You can do it too.
Ken Thornhill

Offline Rusty in Fla.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 05:28:00 PM »
I'm looking forward to it now I think, it will be like starting all over again. That goes along well with my declining memory.   :bigsmyl:

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 07:16:00 PM »
I swapped from RH to LH due to shoulder issues (from birth). I am R eye dominant, so one would think the switch would make accurate shooting tougher. Not so. I shoot better now as I have better form and more control at the shot (thanks Joel Turner!). Swapping was well worth it for me even though it's cross eye dominant.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline Paul_R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 11:47:00 AM »
After a decades long break from archery I've rediscovered why I liked it so much as a kid. I'm solidly left handed and very left eye dominant but I grew up shooting everything right handed. When I got back into archery I tried to shoot right handed and couldn't without closing one eye so I switched to left. It took a while for things to feel natural in my hands but it's been well worth the effort. I can train my body to work automatically but I can't shoot well, especially instinctively, with my eyes working manually and one closed.

Love this forum BTW, Thanks for all the great info!
"My opinion is free and worth every penny"

Offline Sarah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 12:14:00 PM »
I am right handed but learned that I am left eye dominant before I started learning to shoot. Took TradGang's collective advice and learned archery using left-handed bows. I can't even imagine what it would be like to shoot right-handed, as it's so natural for me to point at things with my right hand and stare them down with my left eye in charge.    :)  

I shoot guns left-handed too.

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2013, 10:06:00 PM »
h im still shooting and ad to switch because of shoulder injury cant say im shooting better than ever buti squint my rt eye and my groups are are getting tighter.
Arrow_Flynn

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2013, 11:29:00 AM »
Making the switch is not as difficult as it sounds.  I think that, after a week or so of feeling clumsy with draw and anchor, the hardest part is gonna be changing the rest of your style, that is, the shot will be fine, but moving, sneaking, setting up, all these things were formerly done with a left lead for a right handed shot. It is your natural movement.

You need to change all that too.  THAT took me a while longer. But it does change after doing it a lot.

Then, heck, you can shoot BOTH ways and impress folks. .    :archer2:  

ChuckC

Online bowgy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »
I did it a long time ago and it only felt awkward for a little while.  recently I realized that I wasn't getting the arrow directly under my eye and made a very slight change in my anchor and I have been amazed by the difference!  I can't imagine how I would shoot if it was under my non dominant eye.  I think you'll like it if you switch, and what the heck if it doesn't work out switch back.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©