Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Something is hitting my shoulder  (Read 768 times)

Offline Sarah

• Trad Bowhunter
Something is hitting my shoulder
« on: August 17, 2013, 07:40:00 PM »
I posted a while ago to the Pow Wow Forum about this issue but a definitive solution was never discovered.

Last year I started shooting a 48# longbow after shooting only my 36# recurve since the time that I began learning archery. A big jump, but I worked up to it using both bows for a while.

After making the switch, I noticed that when I shoot the heavier bow, something is whacking the shoulder of my bow arm. Not even my shoulder really, but the flesh just in front of where my arm pit is (NOT my chest). It stung and bruised slightly in a kind of stippled pattern.

I put down my bow for a few months and forgot about it (shame on me!) - but I just picked it back up today.

The problem persists. I am making sure not to exhaust myself shooting the heavier bow, and have been careful to maintain my form. After shooting for maybe 30 minutes today, I now have a horrific looking bruise in the same spot. Nothing is making contact with my chest, my elbow, or my forearm - only this one part in front of my shoulder is getting struck.

I don't know how this could be possible. If it was the string, it seems it would need to also make contact with my chest or arm.

I'm thinking it might be the nock of the arrow kicking out to the side on release, but the physics of that are beyond me.

Has anyone ever seen this before or does anyone have any suggestions for how to solve/troubleshoot this issue?

I shoot left handed, so this is happening on my right shoulder.

Thanks!    :confused:

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Something is hitting my shoulder
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 07:46:00 PM »
Sarah.

I have to admit that this is a "new one" for me.  The only thing I can think of is that you are letting your bow shoulder "roll" forward at or as you get to full draw.  REALLY need to see a picture of you at full draw or video of your entire shot sequence to help any more.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Sarah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 07:50:00 PM »
Thanks Arne - I'll try and get a photo/video tomorrow.

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 10:38:00 PM »
Had similar contact from string when, as Arne suggested, I let me bow arm roll forward.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Sarah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 07:51:00 PM »
Okay folks - this mystery was short lived. After watching one shot this evening my husband identified the issue (and my tender bruise screamed at me for it). When I draw, the string is resting on the area in between my chest and shoulder, and it catches on release.

I did some shooting with my lighter bow and it seems I do the same thing, but my guess is that the string moves more slowly and doesn't have the same painful effect so I never noticed it.

NOW - I feel like if I push my head forward like in Terry's clock image that will help it. I think for whatever reason I started shooting with more of a vertical posture, so a line goes through my drawing arm from the elbow, through both shoulders to my bow arm. It is clear that I am not achieving the straight line through the arrow to the forearm of my drawing arm by doing this.

Does this sound right?

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 08:23:00 PM »
I'm not sure I really understand what the problem is, but I don't think you should "push your head forward."  To me, that means tilting your head down so your chin moves toward your chest.  I took another look at Terry's form clock, and I don't think he's doing that. I think you should hold your head in a natural upright position, with your shoulders pointing toward the target, and rotate your head to face in the direction of the target, or as much as your range of motion will allow.  Then you should keep your head in that position throughout the rest of the shot, without bending or tilting it to meet the string or arrow.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »
Glad you figured it out.  Now to solutions.  There should be nothing wrong with a "vertical" posture but with the heavier bow, be sure you aren't pulling your head back as you draw.  Pulling the extra weight sometimes will make you inadvertently move your head back away from the target and back away from the arrow line (two different directions.)

Try to keep your head directly on top of your spine.

Second, you may be one that would benefit from an archery chest protector.  Many use this to hold their clothing out of the way on the bow shoulder but it might help you in this case.

You do want a relatively straight line from the bow wrist to the bow shoulder to the string shoulder at full draw.  That's good!  The string forearm being in line with the arrow is largely a function of how relaxed your string forearm and wrist and hand are.  I try to show some of this in the videos I did awhile back if you haven't seen them.  "You Tube," "TheMoebow1."

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 08:49:00 PM »
Sarah,

Thinking about this a little more, I still suspect a bow shoulder that is rolled forward somewhat.  Try this: when you get to full draw, have your husband use a tape measure and measure the distance between your arrow and your bicep on your bow arm.  You'll have to hold full draw for just a moment while he sticks the tape measure in perpendicular to the arrow and extends it to your upper bow arm.

For most women, that measurement should be about 4".  For men it will be about 5".  If your measurement is less than 4" that might mean you have your bow shoulder too far forward and we'll need a picture or better yet a video.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline Sarah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 09:40:00 PM »
Thanks for the responses.
I am a little bit confused because looking at Terry's image, it sure looks like under normal circumstances, the placement of his head would be considered "bad posture" (for someone just standing there) - it seems like when I watch form videos of folks shooting they do bring their head forward slightly. Am I wrong about this?

I shot a little more tonight, trying to angle the elbow of my string arm in front of me a little more so that a line goes straight from that elbow through my forearm to arrow. The string contact stopped completely and I felt like the arrows were grouping better (I was only shooting at 5 yards anyway).

I really do not want to use a chest guard. I am a bit of a minimalist and I am in no way big busted so I'm fairly sure this is a form issue and not an anatomy issue.

I think a video is definitely necessary. I'll get one tomorrow.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »
I just viewed The Moebow1 again, and I don't see him moving his head, forward at least.  At times he may be moving it back slightly, which I would assume he would just as soon not do.  Arne is very good on standard archery form. I would listen to him.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Sarah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 06:54:00 AM »
Ok, had a look at Arne's video. Definitely no head movement there.

The head movement I'm referring to can be seen in this youtube video (I think):  

I'll get a video up of myself shooting this evening.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 02:39:00 PM »
I just brought Jimmy Blackmon's post, "The Purpose of the Page" to the top of this forum so you could observe his style.  Notice how he brings the arrow to his face, not his face to the arrow.

Not that there aren't many good shooters who tilt and/or bend their heads, as you have found with Terry's video clip.

Both of the well known instructors I have studied under, Rod Jenkins and Rick Welch, would teach you to keep your head still and bring the arrow to your face. That may be the only thing they do agree about (just kidding, they agree on more things than just that).  

You can try both and decide which works better for you.  I think the reason the still head is taught is that it is thought to be more easily repeatable than trying to move your head the same way each time.  OTOH, there are those like Terry who can shoot accurately with their heads and bodies in all kinds of different positions, as long as they maintain the basic alignment of their arms and shoulders with the bow and arrow.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Sarah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 02:53:00 PM »
That makes sense. I just wanted someone to confirm I wasn't seeing things.  :)   I'll take a look at that other post.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©