Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Target Panic and Shot Control dvd  (Read 1988 times)

Offline Ed Q

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Target Panic and Shot Control dvd
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »
Just ordered the DVD. Can't wait to watch it!

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2013, 01:03:00 PM »
Got my DVD yesterday. This video and my phone conversation with Joel are the bests things I have ever done for my shooting.

There are some Indiana whitetails that are in trouble this year.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2013, 10:19:00 AM »
I spoke with Joel several months back once I'd realized TP had completely come to dominate my shooting.  What he told me made perfect sense....all of it.  However, I had to take baby steps with the mantra.....first thing was just getting to anchor without releasing.  Anchor, Anchor, Anchor.  Wasn't worried about what happened afterwards at that point.

Let me start out by saying that a year ago I attended Rod Jenkins' clinic.  Absolutely the best thing I have spent money on in archery....period.  After 4 months of BB and Bridge work I began to hunt and compete again and for two months things went very well.  Then something broke down in my shot routine and TP took hold.  I began to seek solutions and after months of frustration, I finally gave Joel a call.  I'd like to say that all went well from that point, but it didn't.  Thus the purpose of my post.  

During a conversation with Rod, he told me I had a shot routine problem and that going back to the basics of his program would resolve the issues.  He also knew that I was stubborn and committed enough to work through it, so I returned to the drills.

I struggled for months to gain control over my shot routine and after a few months I had gotten to the point where I could hold at anchor for maybe 1/2 second......certainly not long enough to pull through to conclusion in the proper manner. So TP still owned my butt.  I shot better in competition, but not anywhere near my potential, and with hunting season on the horizon, I wanted to get this conquered.

At this point I knew I could successfully go back to what Joel had taught me.  The DVD came yesterday and just reconfirmed everything I wanted to accomplish and how, but there's one aspect of Joel's teaching that causes me issues......the physical trigger itself.  I can't put a clicker on my bow, nor am I going to use a tab sear or something mounted on the back of the bow.....it has to be the feather to the nose or nothing.  

I am right handed, and shoot right wing feathers (have too much inventory and jig setups to change).  Shooting cock feather in got close, but even tweaking the nock rotation made the contact inconsistent. Also, I shoot wood arrows so constant refletching doesn't work and want to get this dialed in using a couple of carbons and then fletch my woods the same way.  

I took a few carbons and this time tried them cock feather up, and am getting closer to resolving this trigger issue.  I would like to hear y'all's solutions for constant fletch/nose contact if you wouldn't mind.  For the time being I am extremely pleased with having returned to using the Mantra and psycho trigger as I once again am in control of my shot, I just need to nail the fletch trigger aspect once and for all.  Suggestions?
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2013, 11:28:00 AM »
Rick Welch has long used the feather/nose anchor, and has experimented with many configurations.  He is pretty easy going on many aspects of his style.  For example, he prefers 3 under but doesn't insist on it.  But he is pretty definite that if you want to use the nose anchor as a right-handed shooter, you need to use left wing feathers with the cock feather at 90 degrees or slightly higher.

That's not to say that nothing else will work, but that configuration is known to work very well.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2013, 02:03:00 PM »
Thanks Dave, and I may have to go LW in the end, but I just turned the nock so that the first hen feather is "in", and got the cock feather into a good position for my nose.  Going to move the cock feather another 1/16" forward and see things work out.
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2013, 02:20:00 PM »
Another thing you could possibly try is the modification to the nose anchor I now use.  Rather than anchor with the feather touching the tip of my nose, I anchor with the feather touching my mustache just under my nose.  I would imagine it would work equally well as a trigger either location.  It occurred to me to try this after I noticed from pictures in Byron Ferguson's book that he evidently uses this anchor.  It allows for feathers to be mounted slightly further back on the shaft and increases your point on maybe 5 yards.  I've never tried using this anchor with RW feathers, but it might give you a little more leeway.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2013, 05:43:00 PM »
Good thought Dave.  It doesn't really matter what the feather touches, as long as I can draw around between 1/16 and 1/8" to touch "something".  I need to take a mirror out to my bench so I can work/test, etc.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2013, 10:26:00 PM »
Green, How close is the string to your face or forehead? I saw one guy using a kisser button to his forehead. Just a thought.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2013, 07:36:00 AM »
Interesting thought Rob.....don't think they'd allow the button in a 3D competition, but it's worth a look in the mirror to see.

I did get things worked out last night by going to a 5" feather as opposed to a 4" as it's just a tad taller.  I moved them 1/16" further forward in the fletching jig and once I had them on the string I would just shoot them cock feather in...perfect.  I don't turn my face to meet the arrow at full draw as the guys in Joel's video do, so I needed to locate one of the fletchings so that it stuck "up" and would touch the nose......I shoot with my bow/head more vertical.

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2013, 07:01:00 PM »
Joel's DVD landed here in OZ last night .

Great stuff with lots of food for thought.

Thanks a bunch Joel .
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Mooreski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2013, 12:59:00 PM »
I too have ordered the DVD just yesterday. Joel pretty much knocked my target panic out over the phone, but this should be worth watching to keep me reminded of the few things that I can totally forget in a pressure situation. Looking forward to watching it.
"You can't build a reputation on what you are GOING to do." - Henry Ford

Offline TimBoA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2013, 10:48:00 AM »
I am curious about the right hand shooter/RW feathers on wood arrows problem as well.  I just got the DVD yesterday and it is definitely helping already (along with re-reading Kidwell and Asbell), but I need to figure out a better trigger.  If you look through the Target Panic Reality Check thread, I believe someone put something on the arrow (like a sinew wrap?  I will have to look it up later), although I wouldn't want anything that would hinder penetration for a hunting arrow or hang up in the target.  I tried hanging some wood shavings on the arrow this morning; they fly off nicely and sort of work, but are obviously not that reliable!   Using the broadhead touching the knuckle has always made me nervous...I have also heard of people leaving a finger up and releasing when it touches the grip.  I am going to try it, although I suspect my stupid subconscious will figure out a way to defeat that one.  So, I will very interested to see what alternate trigger ideas people come up with.

Offline TimBoA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2013, 10:57:00 AM »
If anyone else is interested and hasn't looked it up yet, look at page 20 (!) of the TP Reality Check thread.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2013, 08:48:00 AM »
Ttt
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ravenhood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2013, 01:42:00 PM »
Started suffering TP in my late teens I am 56 . Tried a lot of "cures" . Talked to Joel two days ago . I have learned more about my shooting since talking to him than previous 50 years. The big  problem I have learned and wouldn't have learned  without Joel is I really suck at keep pulling. I am getting better. Thank you Joel

Offline Ron Vought

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2013, 02:33:00 PM »
Ravenhood -

Yes now that you admitted that you "really suck at pulling" is now time to address it by concentrating on pulling through to your anchor. Don't be afraid to install a clicker. It really helps you make the effort to come to full anchor and release. Joel also helped me through the issue I was having with target panic. Just yesterday I placed a small bottle cap on my target and I would hit it sometimes but most times its a near miss. I continue to work on form and consistency which in my opinion leads to accuracy.

Ron

Offline Ravenhood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2013, 02:43:00 PM »
Ron,I have put a clicker on ,that's what is showing me my pulling problem. The shot awareness is the real key for me , all made possible by Ironmind system

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »
Just placed an order

Offline Ravenhood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2013, 09:11:00 AM »
Its been 9 days since I started Joels program  , I  am 100% pleased with my results. I just keep getting better.

Offline Ron Vought

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2013, 06:40:00 PM »
It will probably take a lot of quality practice sessions with the clicker before you start to feel comfortable. I shot poorly for so long that just getting through one shot at a time with the clicker was pure agony and hard work. I now make every shot count and work solely on concentration and mechanics. Its really paying off. Not sure if the clicker will ever come off the bow but it sure helps me come to full anchor and I am starting to feel comfortable with shooting.

Ron

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©