Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: How good is yours?  (Read 568 times)

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
How good is yours?
« on: September 01, 2013, 04:47:00 PM »
Is your form consistent enough to immediately pick up on a small change in tune? Asked another way, if someone switched your field points and you didn't notice before you shot, how much weight difference on fletched shafts would there have to be before you immediately suspected your tune had changed? 5 grains, 25 grains, 50? I know this question is not totally objective.  If you were slightly over or underspined to begin with, the grain change required to be noticed might be minimal if you directionally made it worse as opposed to the other way.  In other words, if you're shooting a borderline weak arrow to begin with, I would expect someone would notice a minimal increase in point weight before a decrease, which should arguably produce an marginal improvement in flight. So assume you start with a perfectly tuned arrow.  Just curious, as I don't shoot as much when hunting season's over in the dead of winter until the 3D circuit kicks in again.  It used to drive me crazy until I figured out that my draw length "grows" up to an inch from "coming out of hibernation" until the next season in early fall.  Even though I always loosen up shoulder muscles with elastic bands before every session, I can only assume this is just a function of getting old back muscles loosened up and engaged properly. At least now I understand what happens over time and can compensate proactively with small point weight drops.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How good is yours?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 07:04:00 PM »
I can detect a 25 gr change in point weight on most of my bows. In fact I use that to tune. If I have a slightly weak arrow adding 25 gr more point weight makes the arrow weaker which reinforces my initial diagnosis.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©