Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Light Weight Bows and Form  (Read 838 times)

Offline Jon Kaw

• Trad Bowhunter
Light Weight Bows and Form
« on: September 04, 2013, 12:42:00 PM »
I have heard that a bow with a lower draw weight is more sensitive to a shooters form.  What are your thoughts on this?  Has anyone used a light weight bow to refine their form? Did practice with a light weight bow help you become more consistent with your hunting rig?  
  Jon     :archer:
Never quit doing good.
}}}---------->
Bama Bows Hunter 64" 60@28
HHA Half Breed 64" 55@29
JD Berry Morning Star 66" 53@28

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Light Weight Bows and Form
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 01:36:00 PM »
Yes to all.

I have a 33# longbow that I use to work on my form. The only downside (if it really is one) is that it's harder to get a clean release with the lighter bow. That just makes me concentrate on a relaxed string arm and focus on getting a perfectly clean release.

When I pick up my heavier bows the form carries over well.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline ghoster808

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 03:10:00 AM »
I agree. A lighter # bow magnifies your release faults. This makes it an ideal tool for release drills. Thank goodness hunting weight bows are by nature more forgiving in this dept.  ;)
"Till The Wheels Fall Off"

Offline Jon Kaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 10:16:00 AM »
Thanks to everyone for your input.  When it comes to form I need all the help I can get.    
    Jon     :archer:
Never quit doing good.
}}}---------->
Bama Bows Hunter 64" 60@28
HHA Half Breed 64" 55@29
JD Berry Morning Star 66" 53@28

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 09:02:00 AM »
They are also good for letting beginners try archery, grandkids, women, re-hab bows for when you get hurt. I've used mine for all of the above.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Riegel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 01:06:00 AM »
Got a 30# recurve I use to perfect my form. I hunt with a 45# recurve and shoot it well but every now and then it helps to concentrate on keeping good form and a light weight bow is perfect for that.
Hoyt Dorardo 50#
'61 Bear Kodiak 45#

Offline Riegel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 01:10:00 AM »
Got a 30# recurve I use to perfect my form. I hunt with a 45# recurve and shoot it well but every now and then it helps to concentrate on keeping good form and a light weight bow is perfect for that.
Hoyt Dorardo 50#
'61 Bear Kodiak 45#

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 04:52:00 AM »
I think it is better to use a bow no matter the weight that you can shoot comfortably. Going to an extreme like a 30# bow when I shoot 50# easily is going to mess me up. The point is to choose the weight you can handle. You can still concentrate on form if the bow fits you.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline alaninoz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 05:21:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bladepeek:
Yes to all.

The only downside (if it really is one) is that it's harder to get a clean release with the lighter bow. That just makes me concentrate on a relaxed string arm and focus on getting a perfectly clean release.
It's an upside - it's helping improve your release.
Alan

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 12:14:00 PM »
I think one thing that helps you get a cleaner release on a lightweight bow, any bow probably, is to use a non-anticipatory psychotrigger, such as taught by Joel Turner.  When the release is a surprise, it is more likely to be clean than when you consciously initiate it.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 06:43:00 PM »
I am shooting a 35# bow while my shoulder heals......I stink!  It magnifies every mistake I make. I think it is really good training, though.  I shoot way better with a faster bow.
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 08:47:00 PM »
Got a question, I have a poor release, almost like I say FIRE, like pulling a trigger on a gun. Above someone mentioned release drills... never heard of that! Can you tell me what those drills entail?

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 10:53:00 AM »
I teach a CCW class and usually have one or more students that jerk the trigger, just the way I tend to jerk the release on my bow when I'm having a bad day. I often give them a revolver with a laser sight on it and have them just keep stroking the trigger double action until they can do it without moving the red dot on the target.

I kind of do the same thing with my bow, except there is no target and, of course, no sight. I move up close to the bag and just start shooting blind bale concentrating on getting the same kind of release I get with a "string bow", where my hand just relaxes and moves straight back when the string slips off my fingers. If that's the only thing I'm REALLY concentrating on, it gets pretty clean. Then I work on maintaining good back tension without screwing up my release.

Check out "moebow" videos on YouTube. He does a beautiful job of explaining and demonstrating proper release. Sure helped me with my flinch/jerky release.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 09:48:00 PM »
Bladepeek, Thank you for the suggestion. Last summer I did some blind bale and it did help, but fell back into old habits. I will go back to MoeBows videos again. Should set something up in basement that will allow me blind bale every day. Outside is hard this time of year in Central NY.

Offline mpegues333

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 11:19:00 AM »
I practice form with a 25 & 30 pounder and then switch back to my 50 pounders with no issues at all. What I have noticed is that when my form is good, and my release is fluid, I can shoot every bow in the house about equal, regardless of draw weight. It most surely helps to practice with a lower poundage bow. If your release is poor at 25 to 30 pounds, it is painfully obvious. And much easier to focus on and get correct. Then when you switch back to your heavier bow, it's like butter...

Mark

Offline DaveV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 12:00:00 PM »
I just bought a 20 lb PSE recurve as a "trainer" and "loaner" for new shooters. I think I'll be shooting it too just so I can get my form down.
Rudderbows selfbow,1959 Herters recurve, Toelke Whip, and just added a Hoyt ProVantage warf conversion to the mix.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©